Milling grains - corded vs. cordless drill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Hi,

I use a cordless drill on my grain mill. I love it but have recently inherited a corded drill. Was thinking about using the corded in a more permanent build (with a wood base). The corded drill, though, is probably very old. There are no settings to adjust. It's one speed when pulling the trigger - FAST. Throttling the trigger does not spin the drill any slower, like what I can do with the cordless.

So what? So, from what I recall, the recommendation was to not run the drill at full speed when milling. If that's the case, project canceled. Thanks in advance!

If you like to fiddle, then there are all sorts of ways to reduce the speed. With either a belt/pulley system or gears you could RubeGoldberg something.

Drill motor ought to have it's RPM listed on the data plate. Then you'll know how much reduction you need to get for it to be below 200 RPM or whatever you deem necessary.

Not all electric motors can be used with a speed controller. Some will burn up or just not work depending on how they are designed.

All you need is a rheostat. It's commonly used as a speed controller for power tools (eg router table). Here's an example of one LINK. You may need a timing light to know your exact speed though.

(Before anyone else starts nerding out and splitting hairs, I know it's not technically a 'rheostat', but it's the same darn thing. Me and the rest of the power tool using industry is going to continue to call them rheostats)

Cordless drills are generally speed adjusted with a 2 or 3 speed gear box which provides the benefit of increased torque output at slower speeds. Most corded drills (all that I have seen and used) do not have selectable gearing. The only corded drill motors that seem suited for milling operation are the paddle mixers that are made for high torque, low speed.

I owe a good response to this thread.

For a reason I can't recall, I had in my head that using a corded drill with a fixed base grain mill build was the right way to go. Echoing my OP, the corded rotates too fast for my liking. Likely, too fast for the torque a grain mill would "want".

Some folks chimed in on the potential to add an in-between to lower that corded drill speed. But I'm seeing some conflict on if that'll work the way we want it to.

But this stuck out at me:

Reads like you already have a working setup.

Considering your comment I quoted, why reinvent the wheel from something that sounds not well suited for the task anyway?

Correct, I have a working setup with my cordless drill. The sole motivating factor to my inquiry was the thought that maybe I can build a permanent base for the mill (I do not have one) now that I inherited a corded drill.

All signs pointing to "if it aint broke". ;-)

Latest posts

Back