Keezer/Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
Is it possible to use a freezer with a temp controller for a fermentation chamber, then turn around and use it for a keezer after beer is kegged? I don't have much room, and would like to use one single unit and I don't anticipate having a full keg and fermenting at the same time (although I would like to, but it's just me drinking it)

Yes, you would just change the temp. My buddy Danny did that for his Lagers and it worked great. He did 2 at a time so that the down time was well worth it.

Would it prematurely wear the freezer out by going from 70F to 40F after fermentation then back again? Granted I can ferment inside my house during the winter, but in the summer the temps fluctuate too much from week to week. Oh only if I had space..

Would it prematurely wear the freezer out by going from 70F to 40F after fermentation then back again? Granted I can ferment inside my house during the winter, but in the summer the temps fluctuate too much from week to week. Oh only if I had space..

I dont think it would wear the freezer out any more or less. many keezers last years and thats with old freezers.

Don't mean to highjack this thread as it seems you have your answer but for the sake of not creating another thread I was wondering if you could configure a temperature controlled freezer to both serve and ferment. Not knowing how freezers work, is the source of cold from a single location where you could divide the freezer in half serving on the cold side and insulating the other to be slightly warmer? Could you vent the warmer side to raise its temp but still insulate the other side? I too would like to knock two processes with one piece of equipment.

Back