Fermentation chamber doubling as keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbone1072

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to build a fermentation chamber to up my brewing game. I’ll be using a mini fridge. Taking the door off, installing a collar and then reinstalling the door. If possible, I’d really like for this to double as a keezer as well. I’m tired of bottling and would like to get into kegging to make my life easier. My concern is that the added room in the fridge won’t allow it to cool well enough to be a keezer. I don’t plan on having more than one brew at a time so that is not a concern. Any thoughts?

You can install fans to increase its cooling efficiency via circulation.). Mini fridges can make ice so that’s a lot of cooling ability especially if you can push the air along the cooling coils.

If possible, I’d really like for this to double as a keezer as well.
Since it's not a freezer, but a refrigerator, it would be a kegerator...

But you can't ferment and dispense (from kegs) at the same time. Ferm temps (60-72F for ales) are in a much higher range than dispensing temps (36-44F).

You can build the extension collar from 2" rigid foam, with a plywood shell around it for sturdiness and to mount the door back on.

But you can't ferment and dispense (from kegs) at the same time. Ferm temps (60-72F for ales) are in a much higher range than dispensing temps (36-44F).

You can build the extension collar from 2" rigid foam, with a plywood shell around it for sturdiness and to mount the door back on.

+1. This is why a picked up a second mini fridge for under $100 on Craigs list.

What's the lowest temp the unmodded fridge can maintain?
I actually don’t have a specific fridge yet. I was just going to go with a mini fridge to conserve on space.

You can build the extension collar from 2" rigid foam, with a plywood shell around it for sturdiness and to mount the door back
My thinking behind it is to use it as a fermentation chamber while fermenting. Then once I’ve kegged, crank the temperature down. I’m sure down the road I can add an actual Keezer if I want to have more than one beer on tap at a time AND ferment.

I actually don’t have a specific fridge yet. I was just going to go with a mini fridge to conserve on space.

My advice would be start with a fridge that is able to maintain the very low(est) temps in normal use, to make up for the added volume.

Also, your collar will be a little different than a typical keezer (chest freezer) collar in that it will have to bear significant weight in a direction that's trying to shear it off at the fridge to collar joint, so it's going to need good support.

That is what I did. I used the minI-fridge as a fermenter chamber until I bought a small freezer to build a ferm cab. I can get a corny and a 2.5 gallon keg in there. I used a picnic tap until I found a good price on the existing tap tower.

Attachments

• 5F30E07E-DA20-411A-ADDB-67278628C262.jpeg
    5F30E07E-DA20-411A-ADDB-67278628C262.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0829A6E7-798C-4D04-8F5B-6E3B8C0B139C.jpeg
    0829A6E7-798C-4D04-8F5B-6E3B8C0B139C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back