Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the cortana thing was kinda neat for a day or two but I've discovered that I'm not using it at all. Probably getting the axe later on today.

First I need to make a batch of wineberry jelly with my daughter.

You're insane.

No, seriously. You are.

I started on the dark side w/ MS-DOS 1.0 and supported Microchip for almost 30 years. When my last Windows laptop died (thank GOD) back in 2008 I saw the light and haven't looked back.
My entire household is now Apple, not a piece of Microcrap anywhere.

I've never understood the Apple v Windows thing. It's probably the most cringeworthy rivalry you will ever see. I've used dos and windows since the mid 80s and never had a problem, seems plenty of people use apple and never have a problem too. Big wow

I started on the dark side w/ MS-DOS 1.0 and supported Microchip for almost 30 years. When my last Windows laptop died (thank GOD) back in 2008 I saw the light and haven't looked back.
My entire household is now Apple, not a piece of Microcrap anywhere.

The only PC not running Linux in my house is my work laptop. I never have to listen to my wife or kids complaining about viruses or malware.

My wife's laptop is on Linux Mint. It had two appealing aspects: It's virus/malware resistant and free.

It's been working great.

My PC is a windows machine, for one very good reason: I game. Linux gaming is currently a lost cause. Installing drivers for 3d cards is a damned nightmare. In fact, that's Linux's biggest failing: Driver support and installation. My daughter's PC is likewise a Windows machine for two reasons: The first is that's what she uses at school, so it's right in line with her experience there and the second is that like me, she's a gamer.

I now have Win 10 installed on all four of my machines; three laptops and a desktop and none have any issues anymore. My cheapo Asus laptop was caught in some kind of Win 8.1 update dead loop and kept turning off the monitor while the machine was still running; Win 10 fixed that problem. So far I have no regrets, if anything comes up, I will keep you posted.

In case anyone has shared folders that are no longer available across the network without a password...

• Network and Sharing Center (just search)
  • Change Advanced Sharing Settings
  • All Networks
  • Click "Turn on sharing so anyone with .... "

I have a large RAID array that I share with media streamers, smart TV, phones, etc. Nobody could get to it without a password since I installed Win10. The above setting change got it working again.

I'm joining the conversation late, but this caught my eye.

My wife's laptop is on Linux Mint. It had two appealing aspects: It's virus/malware resistant and free.

It's been working great.

My PC is a windows machine, for one very good reason: I game. Linux gaming is currently a lost cause. Installing drivers for 3d cards is a damned nightmare. In fact, that's Linux's biggest failing: Driver support and installation. My daughter's PC is likewise a Windows machine for two reasons: The first is that's what she uses at school, so it's right in line with her experience there and the second is that like me, she's a gamer.

I'm currently running linux mint on several machines and it is working great. I will disagree with you that linux gaming is a lost cause, as I believe that many steam games are available for linux, and doing searches for linux games will give you examples of several good options.

On my main desktop I'm also running a video card that supports OpenGL 4. Good games can clearly be made for linux, if only game dev companies would make them for linux (and some are starting to). And Nvidia cards usually have good linux support.

Homebrewers should be giving Linux a hard look as software like Beersmith and Brewtarget (free) are available for Linux.

And when you throw in that Android (for smartphones) is Linux, well, then there are plenty of linux games and I believe that iBrewMaster has an Android port.

Also, about the antivirus stuff. Most antivirus software will have issues when it comes to Win 10. This is because Windows automatically has Microsoft Security Essentials as AV built into the operating system. I wonder when the antitrust lawsuit is going to kick in much like the Internet Explorer one was of years past.

Also, about the antivirus stuff. Most antivirus software will have issues when it comes to Win 10. This is because Windows automatically has Microsoft Security Essentials as AV built into the operating system. I wonder when the antitrust lawsuit is going to kick in much like the Internet Explorer one was of years past.

MSE automatically disables itself if it detects another anti-virus program is active. At least that's what I read.

You can't turn MSE off (easily). It turns itself back on after some period of time, and certainly after a reboot.

MSE automatically disables itself if it detects another anti-virus program is active. At least that's what I read.

You can't turn MSE off (easily). It turns itself back on after some period of time, and certainly after a reboot.

I don't know about that, but I do know when I helped a client set up their new Windows 8 PC awhile back, I couldn't install a competing antivirus. It said that it was already protected via MSE

I don't know about that, but I do know when I helped a client set up their new Windows 8 PC awhile back, I couldn't install a competing antivirus. It said that it was already protected via MSE
I have AVG installed on my Windows 10 desktop.

I turned off MSE, and Mc Crapappy, and installed Avast w/o trouble; that particular laptop now is trouble free. :)

I had to go to the "run" box and type : %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe and turn off "Real-time protection"

My fragile, complex drivers for a convertible laptop got nuked in the forced upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. The voluntary 10.0 upgrade didn't help much, but I can see it is a more sensible product otherwise. Where there is pain you can usually customize around it to something even better.

I had used an obscure trick to boot directly into a desktop web browser, and it pretty much converted ok (one extra click needed to nudge autohide of taskbar). IE has gotten so ridiculous (pesters you endlessly if you disabled flash) and Firefox has gotten so well touch-enabled that I could make the switch to a nice autozoom web environment.

One problem is every time I boot one of the forced updates, it turns my screen sideways, locks the mouse and keyboard, but doesn't allow an onscreen keyboard for my password. If I close the cover to put the laptop to sleep and reopen, it recovers ok! It seems to detect my convertibility to a tablet, then forces it on me. There is an optional tablet "mode" that is dumbed down beyond belief... must be for a tiny tablet.

On the other hand, my Mac gives a more simple and useful environment after their free OS 10 upgrade, aside from a few maddening drawbacks. Apple hardware isn't that pricey if you buy from their refurb bin.

Windows 10 Cortana responds to everyone in my house, but my wife. Even when you force her to listen.

Okay Google hears my wife just fine. So, it's not the microphone. We even reset Cortana to only listen to my wife. Having her run the "learn my voice" set-up routine went just fine. And Cortana still ignores her.

I think it's hilarious. My wife thinks I am fecking with her.

I try to avoid being the early ones to upgrade as they're still bugs but I do plan on changing soon. Win 8 made me want to shoot myself. Don't know how that design got OKd.

What media server? I'm running Twonky from Win10 and streaming movies, etc. no problem.

PlayOn/MyMedia via Roku.

Have ran this for several year with no issue. This weekend was the first time I went to call up a movie since I installed win10. I recall I had to reinstall PlayOn after the Win10 clean install but have yet to track down the bottleneck.

Server status says it is running. All the proper permission are in place in the firewall. But my DVP's can't find the server.

PlayOn/MyMedia via Roku.

Have ran this for several year with no issue. This weekend was the first time I went to call up a movie since I installed win10. I recall I had to reinstall PlayOn after the Win10 clean install but have yet to track down the bottleneck.

Server status says it is running. All the proper permission are in place in the firewall. But my DVP's can't find the server.

Besides some installation issues with drivers, the biggest Win10 problem I had was with rights. I had full admin rights on Win7, but an "admin" on Win10 apparently isn't the same. There's a way to enable the true admin account, but you lose a lot of protection by using it, so I didn't.

So, any app that I had any trouble with I just go to the .exe properties and enable "start as admin". You might try that with PlayOn. Also, I think Plex works great with the Roku3. You might try that.

Did anyone start to intermittently lose their cursor and keyboard today? My laptop gets forced into touchscreen mode only within minutes... probably with messed up lenovo drivers.

That is why I'll wait until next July to get the free upgrade. I suppose there will be a few hours of downloading the fixes though.

Fixed! I found an obscure part of settings that admitted there was a major update failure, and let me retry. In general most updates require a couple restarts rather than 1 to work right.

A spotcheck of device drivers made them look wrong based on date, but right based on ver. number. Lenovo admits they have drivers needing further work.

Upgraded yesterday. I'm happy with the improvement in speed. One of my thumb drives wasn't recognized and it took about 30 min for windows to do what it wanted to do and finally popped up... otherwise, I'm happy with it.

Did anyone start to intermittently lose their cursor and keyboard today? My laptop gets forced into touchscreen mode only within minutes... probably with messed up lenovo drivers.

I did have a mouse issue earlier today. I ended up having to press the mouse wheel button to get the click function to work again...

I had to go into Control Panel to get my touch pad working correctly; the finger control stick worked great though.

For those awaiting a mature win10 product before downloading, I must say that for the last few days win10 is finally behaving better then than win8 ever did for me. I had a close call recently when an update was only partially applied (I thought it had to be all or none), but I was able to force a retry under settings/updates/details. It went from extremely crippled to well mannered.

I run my PC hard all day and night and weekend. I've used engineering apps while serving three different HD movies to networked appliances. I have a TV tuner, 3 displays, 2 graphics cards, 5 internal hard drives, one internal solid state drive, tons of USB peripherals all with their own drivers (some that I designed), multiple sessions of Visual studio running simultaneously, and pandora.

After the installation hiccups, which were a PITA, everything is running great now under Win10.

ADVICE TO AVOID MY INITIAL ISSUES: before doing the upgrade, before you start, get the latest drivers for your video card and motherboard network processor. Don't assume that Win10 will have them. If you install and end up with no display or internet (or both!), it can be a nightmare.

You can figure out exactly what's on your PC by running this app (Speccy). There's a portable version, which is best. Techies/ IT guys should get that one. There's no installation, no shortcuts, no registry entries, nothing. You put it on a USB stick and run it from there. If you want shortcuts on your desktop and/or start menu, use the normal installer.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/builds

speccy.jpg

I'm going to revive this thread...

Has anyone had problems with the Windows 10 update that was released today? It took 6 hours for it to download onto my machine, and the "prepare to install" phase is even slower. It's stalled at 29%, and has been bumping up about 1% every 30 minutes.

I'll leave my PC on overnight and hope it's done by morning.

Nope. All quiet on the western front. I'm worried for you though. Shouldn't take that long. Let's hope Microsoft's server was busy and slow.

I'm going to revive this thread...

Has anyone had problems with the Windows 10 update that was released today? It took 6 hours for it to download onto my machine, and the "prepare to install" phase is even slower. It's stalled at 29%, and has been bumping up about 1% every 30 minutes.

I'll leave my PC on overnight and hope it's done by morning.

I had to do annoying things to get my main rig up to windows 10. It was having some issue with my system partition, so I had to resize it. Which isn't crushing, but losing 200 megs on a solid state is a pain someitmes.

Update:

After hanging at about 30% for close to an hour last night, the install process suddenly raced to 100% within a few more minutes. Then a reboot (which took about 10 minutes), and it was done.

I found a discussion thread on a Win 10 site that discussed many people having the same problem. MS rolling out this huge service pack (though they're not calling it a "service pack"), and the fact that Win 10's default sets up updates to be delivered via a distributed peer-to-peer method. Everyone's trying to grab this new update.

Plus, me having only 1.5 Mb DSL doesn't help. But it's done and it didn't screw with any of my settings.

I’m one of the few who actually liked Win8.1, mostly because I really liked the touch interface on my Surface tablet. As a previous iPad user who grew tired of that device’s limitations that felt like they didn’t need to be there, I was willing to accept a bit more of a learning curve in exchange for more utility. On my desktop I grew to like 8.1 as well, even if the touch interface was pretty pointless on there. Luckily, you have the option of just not using it at all.

I upgraded to a Surface 3 tablet, took the Win10 upgrades early on that and all household machines, and ended up wishing I had waited a bit because it seemed a bit buggy. That was a few months ago and now things are pretty smooth sailing. I really like Win10 so far; I think it is what 8 should have been.

I downloaded and installed the "Service Pack" last night and it took about 1.5 hours from start to finish. One of the big things MS stated was it would run about 30% faster, has anyone experienced the increased speed? I tried rebooting several times and playing around with some of the new features and it seemed to be the same speed or maybe even slower at start up.

I upgraded last night

Had a problem with the graphics driver on my Lenovo z500, basically all the brightness went from the screen and so I had to re-install the 8.1 driver . Pain in the arse but it works now. At the moment with only a few hours messing around with it i still prefer 8.1, which I liked a lot, but its early days.

Back