Threads to nowhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
Once, in 2011, I started a thread asking for the winners of the HBT Homebrew Contest to share some of their tips. You know, things that wouldn't necessarily be included in a recipe. I thought I would be mining the heart and soul of the global homebrewing community. Information extraction. Well, I got a total of four replies to that thread. Four. This troubled me. Especially in light of the post count of some of the other threads. For example:

Soccer thread: 1754 posts. Really? One could synopsize the entire history of that sport with fewer words.

"What are you drinking now" thread: 22,102 posts. Not at all suprising, but 99.3% were drinking beer. Trust me.

"I loves the apfelwein" thread: 10,692 posts. I don't love it. Tried it though. Even posted in the thread. But let's continue.

"Wet shaving" thread: 1,625 posts. Think about that. Personal hygiene processes.

"Funny things you've overheard about beer" thread: 1,465 posts. Overheard being the operative term. Most posters here heard, rather than overheard, those comments. But that's splitting hairs. Oops, wrong thread.

And now I've forgotten the point I was trying to make. Dammit. Something about brewing and sharing information.

God, I wish there was a way to not post here but let you know I read it and laughed, but not give you the satisfaction of adding to the post count. Dagnabit. :smack:

There is absolutely no way that this thread will get more than 4 replys. You haven't asked a question or made a controversial statement or bragged about anything or snobbed about anything or queried the hbt community for relationship help. Nobody with any sense will reply to it. May be if you want to start a big thread ask some existential question like "why do my farts smell so much worse in the shower" or something. Good luck friend

You've gotten more replies to this thread. Does that make you feel happy? :ban:

Yes. But am I a better brewer on account of it? I think not. Well maybe the methane mixing with chlorinated water smelling worse than methane in the open helped some. Always, and I mean always, use the campden when on a municipal water system.

I really enjoy the more technical threads. And I've learned just about everything I know about brewing here. I also enjoy the other threads too, for entertainment and general grabassing. I guess there is room here for both. If they put me in charge for a day, I wouldn't change a thing. Once I went into the TR. Whoooo boy!

Methane and chlorine? No, my water isn't chlorinated. I think its a combination of the steam of the shower and the fact that there is no filtering from clothing.

showerfart.jpg

I get the feeling that the consensus view from the community is that farts actually do smell worse when exposed to running water inthe shower. I'm really glad its not just me. I cant wait to tell my wife.
If only we knew what caused it?

I think farts are way worse in the bathtub. All the gas is concentrated in a few bubbles as they travel to the surface and released simultanously. Just like the yeast farts through an airlock

It's a scientific fact that aromas are more easily detected in a humid environment, than in a dry environment. That's why the dogs prefer to go out when the air is moist. They can smell from a LOT farther away. So that would certainly apply in the shower, especially when you let loose with a wet one. (You know what I'm talking about)

It's a scientific fact that aromas are more easily detected in a humid environment, than in a dry environment. That's why the dogs prefer to go out when the air is moist. They can smell from a LOT farther away. So that would certainly apply in the shower, especially when you let loose with a wet one. (You know what I'm talking about)

Makes perfect sense to me. #19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lead balloon threads happen all the time. In October I was hoping that folks who did Iron Brewer Competitions, would share what the secret ingredient they were give was, how they chose to handle it, what style the chose to brew and what their recipe was. The only response I got was from someone who was in the same contest as I was, so that was no fun, I wanted to hear about other comps, and a troll, who the mods deleted the responses. But I know other folks have done Iron Brewers including the natl one. But that thread took a nose dive, too.

Just happens.

If that thread gets more posts than this one, I'll eat my mash tun.

The day and time a thread starts has more to do with its popularity than anything. And with a nod to DuClaw, Sweet Baby Jesus, why did I click on that link in Revy's post?! Even after I was warned!

Folks - we can't let this just die at 30 -
It's SuperBowl Sunday night, the Ravens just won, and no one's posted since last Thursday ???

Some people (not including me usually) say it's all about the journey, not the destination. Maybe that applies here.
But probably not.

A fart anywhere in the bathroom has the same affect. Boyfriend has been barred from entering the room entirely when I'm showering. His mustard ass-gas made my nose nearly jump off my face one time.

A fart anywhere in the bathroom has the same affect. Boyfriend has been barred from entering the room entirely when I'm showering. His mustard ass-gas made my nose nearly jump off my face one time.

Now this thread is going places!

Some people (not including me usually) say it's all about the journey, not the destination. Maybe that applies here.
But probably not.

There is certainly evidence, and I believe this is accepted truth among the HBT forum, that getting windy in the shower with the water running and no artifical layers twixt your anatomy and the atmosphere that the old olefactory receptors definately detect a difference in the gaseous odors, both in intensity and in pungancy.
Your example points to the determining factor being simply that the shower water be running. One can safely assume the the ambient temperature and relative humidity are both altered with warm water running and thus a likely contributing factor to a fart smelling worse. I'm satisfied with that explanation for now.

There is certainly evidence, and I believe this is accepted truth among the HBT forum, that getting windy in the shower with the water running and no artifical layers twixt your anatomy and the atmosphere that the old olefactory receptors definately detect a difference in the gaseous odors, both in intensity and in pungancy.
Your example points to the determining factor being simply that the shower water be running. One can safely assume the the ambient temperature and relative humidity are both altered with warm water running and thus a likely contributing factor to a fart smelling worse. I'm satisfied with that explanation for now.

Don't forget air currents in the room caused by the rising humid water, not to mention the bathroom fan sucking air out usually toward the ceiling.

Is "Threads to Nowhere" the working title for this thread? It should be titled "A case study on the effects of human gaseous emissions in a bathing environment to your olfactory senses"

Sounds like you need to conduct an experiment in the name of science, and then write a paper detailing your findings. It could potentially revolutionize the way bathrooms are designed! Imagine it; the bathroom of the future could be the CaptWalt Odor Free Designer Water Closet.

Is "Threads to Nowhere" the working title for this thread? It should be titled "A case study on the effects of human gaseous emissions in a bathing environment to your olfactory senses"

Well, as the OP, I never intended this path. But I concur. This conundrum has been plaguing mankind for way too long. It's time we put it to rest with sound science.

DURRRRRRRRRRRR

Showers are enclosed so the gas stays more concentrated.

Now why does some poop stink and some doesn't?

Latest posts

Back