digital temp controller probe in starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As in most keezers, I have a mason jar filled with water with my temp probe submerged in to help avoid cycling. I decided to replace the water with starsan to help avoid moldy water after a few months. Does anyone know if the plastic sheath on the Johnson controls digital temp controller is susceptible to being degraded by the starsan?

I have had mine in a fairly diluted starsan mixture (just enough to prevent mold) and haven't noticed anything funky after a few months now. Not sure what the long term (years worth) effect would be though.

I have had mine in a fairly diluted starsan mixture (just enough to prevent mold) and haven't noticed anything funky after a few months now. Not sure what the long term (years worth) effect would be though.

Thanks. I actually had straight water in there for around 10 months or so and very small amounts of 'stuff' was floating around in there when I cleaned it out last night. I ask the question because after only 10 minutes or so, my beer transfer tubing gets all slimy like the acid is eating the tubing. I would hate to find my temp probe plastic sheath after months of contact time if it where similar to my transfer tubing.

Latest posts

Back