Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, and I'm trying to figure out if people really think I don't know there are calories in beer.
Seriously though, I don't drink calories.

Back to the scheduled programming

The No-Calorie Diet. Between -500 and 0 calories a day for a year and you WILL lose weight. :p

Hmm, and I'm trying to figure out if people really think I don't know there are calories in beer.

Are you trying to tell us that you chew your beer therefore you eat it rather than drink it?

Ahhh, now you really shouldn't have done that. Of course "we" know. That "they" don't know is what made it fun.

However, as my middle school teacher loved to say when kids were talking, "Lady's aide, come to order!"

Now, if we're done counting calories and asking if our butts look fat in these jeans, perhaps we could move on to discussing whether we prefer to scrub our feet with pumice or a loofah sponge.

Went here for dinner the other day: http://www.gcfb.net/brewery

Granite City brews all of their own beer (nothing else on tap)... I was all excited looking at the brew room and decided to try the Bock. Well, it was gross. Watery, thin mouthfeel and a strong mildew-y aftertaste.

So, I decide "wth? I'll ask about the flight (12 2 oz beers for $4.95)"

"Excuse me, miss server lady, what are the seasonal brews that come with this flight?"

"Um.......... I think one is an Ale. If you like those."

"Just bring it to me and go away, thanks."

Luckily they had a card that came with it... but every one of them was gross. Thin and watered down, like they dilute them heavily or something... and ALL had the same mildew aftertaste.

Nasty.

Wow. Have you read about their unique, patented brewing process, "fermentus interruptus"? I'm so impressed I think I'm about to puke.

They do brewing centrally and ship sweet wort out to sister restaurants for fermentation.

Sounds like extract brewing to me. No wonder the beer is crap. Not that you can't brew good beer from extract, but they probably don't have a brewer running that whole process, which is leading to shoddy practices and the "mildew beer" you sampled.

I had a similar experience with an extract only brewpub that opened near us. I gave them three tries over nine months thinking they just needed some time to dial it in. Never happened.

Dinner Saturday night (at a Mediterranean place with a fancy liqueur selection) I ask the bar tender what beers they had (none were listed on any menu), after the second one of him explaining what style it is my wife chuckles at my expression, interrupts him to say he is in over his head, stop describing the style and a pale ale is far from "a strong bud light". I was surprised that the 6 beers they had none were owned or connect to one of the BMC's.

Later on the guy really started to scare me with the good old "liqueur has so much sugar in it" claim and the guy claims to be going to some big mixology convention again this year for the 3rd time.

But, liqueurs often DO have a ton of sugar in them.

But, liqueurs often DO have a ton of sugar in them.

I think Liqueurs are distilled spirits that are flavored and sweetened. They have over 2 and a half percent sugar. They are sweet with a lot of sugar.

Coke zero doesn't have calories but it contains caffeine and I don't drink drugs either. I would also never consider ruining a beer with it.

There is always this

2015-01-10-12-18-09--2033919903.jpeg

If you are trying to reduce weight you should drink this.
Zero carbs and zero sugar. A bit miss leading though. I guess alcohol doesn't count as a carb.

Bacardi & Cola - Meet Diet Cola: http://youtu.be/_A3kvEhS7UM

...alcohol isn't a carb. At all.
Coke zero doesn't have calories but it contains caffeine and I don't drink drugs either. I would also never consider ruining a beer with it.
Oh holy hell.
I guess we all have to operate according to our understandings about alcohol. Here's what I understand, and operate according to:
Alcohol is not a carb, but I don't care. I don't count carbs, I eat them. About 50% of what I eat and drink comes from carbs, mostly whole grains, fruits and vegetables. But I do put sugar in my coffee, and like chocolate now and then too.
Alcohol has calories. In fact, 7 calories per gram. So I prefer my alcohol as wine or beer, because I get more sips.
Alcohol is a drug. One that, like caffeine, I try to use moderately, but sometimes use to excess. Too much caffeine makes me jittery, raises my blood pressure, and make my ears ring. Too much alcohol makes me happy. It also makes me post stupid sh*t on HBT. I'll leave it to you to decide which I'm on right now.
:mug:

I don't count at all, on account that I don't like having to take my shoes off after that 10th beer.

I get one pot of good coffee a week, and I just drained it. Water time until it's beer time.

An alcohol is any organic compound in which the hydroxyl functional group (-OH) is bound to a saturated carbon atom as in ethanol CH3-CH2-OH

Carbon-hydrates are hydrated carbon chains and can be written as Cn-(H2O)n, hence their name carbohydrates. Ethanol can't be written this way.

I always thought the commercial was disingenuous as they are trying to equate 0 carbs and 0 sugar (which by the way is a carb C12(H2O)11 ) with 0 calories even though they don't state this.

Oh, and now that I have been quoted by Billy-Klubb my life is almost complete. (I still need to be punched in the berries for closure.) :ban:

An alcohol is any organic compound in which the hydroxyl functional group (-OH) is bound to a saturated carbon atom as in ethanol CH3-CH2-OH

Carbon-hydrates are hydrated carbon chains and can be written as Cn-(H2O)n, hence their name carbohydrates. Ethanol can't be written this way.

I always thought the commercial was disingenuous as they are trying to equate 0 carbs and 0 sugar (which by the way is a carb C12(H2O)11 ) with 0 calories even though they don't state this.

Oh, and now that I have been quoted by Billy-Klubb my life is almost complete. (I still need to be punched in the berries for closure.) :ban:
Serious question...where do sugar alcohols like xylitol and sorbitol fit in? I know they have fewer calories, that they are mostly indigestible (although bacteria in our colon can break them down, hence the potential of "explosive diarrhea"), but are they also in the hydroxyl group?

Serious answer: You have exceeded my level of chem-foo. Except at they are alcohols with a hydroxyl group (-OH) and not an (H2O) attached to each carbon.

Un-serious answer: If you take one of these with your xylitol or sorbitol you will not have the issues aforementioned.
Edit image for pg-13 rating.

itol_by_TpmDesigns.jpg

Last edited:
Serious answer: You have exceeded my level of chem-foo. Except at they are alcohols with a hydroxyl group (-OH) and not an (H2O) attached to each carbon.

Un-serious answer: If you take one of these with your xylitol or sorbitol you will not have the issues aforementioned.
Edit image for pg-13 rating.
I was just thinking that if Billy-Klubb would just give me a good punch in the berries, I'd have bigger things to focus on...

This isn't quite "funniest things you've overheard," in case anyone remembers that's what this is supposed to be, but...

A few years ago I went to a local Oktoberfest, and they were serving an authentic German beer that was warm and just awful. I took the mission (drank the beer) -- what the hell else was I going to do -- but I really didn't know what I would do when I found him. (Sorry, got off track there.) Anyway, this scary-looking guy with dreads sits across from us at our table, and he has a plate of pigs feet and this awful beer, and he decides he just cannot choke this crap down. But before he leaves, we talk a bit, share a few laughs, and he whips out a CD of his band, called "Drunk in the Garage." Turns out he is the lead singer. On the way home, we play it, expecting it to suck, and it is actually quite good (rock). Every song is a drinking song, and most are hilarious. I never followed up on this band, but that guy made my night. I hope he's had a few and is belting one out in his garage right now.

Anyone hear of them?

Serious question...where do sugar alcohols like xylitol and sorbitol fit in? I know they have fewer calories, that they are mostly indigestible (although bacteria in our colon can break them down, hence the potential of "explosive diarrhea"), but are they also in the hydroxyl group?

You do realize, of course, that Explosive Diarrhea would be an excellent name for a band.

Frank Gallagher, Homebrewer
on Showtime's "Shameless"

Frank's Brew Stand looks like what I imagine a non-homebrewer sees when he/she looks at one of our 3-tiered rigs.
hot liquor tank up top with an immersion chiller, mash tun, boil kettle and still pot all connected with hoses, with liquid moving through them. still pot at bottom right.

IMG_8244.jpg

Frank takes bacon he just fried, wood chips, which includes a baby pacifier he gathered from a Chicago South Side playground, and tosses it all into the still pot.

IMG_8245.jpg

and pours himself a ball jar full of carbonated, beautifully colored, perfectly clear brew from a picnic tap

IMG_8246.jpg

Frank's Brew Stand looks like what I imagine a non-homebrewer sees when he/she looks at one of our 3-tiered rigs.
hot liquor tank up top with an immersion chiller, mash tun, boil kettle and still pot all connected with hoses, with liquid moving through them. still pot at bottom right.

View attachment 248566

Frank takes bacon he just fried, wood chips, which includes a baby pacifier he gathered from a Chicago South Side playground, and tosses it all into the still pot.

View attachment 248567

and pours himself a ball jar full of carbonated, beautifully colored, perfectly clear brew from a picnic tap

View attachment 248568

Saw this the other night and just facepalmed

I always try to get my buddy to try different beers. He never budged and sticks strictly to his Coors light. So one day I asked him why he only drinks Coors light and he says " I don't really like the taste of beer, I drink Coors because it tastes like water"

I always try to get my buddy to try different beers. He never budged and sticks strictly to his Coors light. So one day I asked him why he only drinks Coors light and he says " I don't really like the taste of beer, I drink Coors because it tastes like water"

The plight of a cocktail drinker, on a cheap beer budget.

If only it were that easy.

Latest posts

Back