Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll pass...

0103051150_0001.jpg

I love roamin' around those rounded hills & bushy valleys...oh...wait a tick...what? Weren't we beatin' 'round the bush Billy? I think I got lost...the bush is pretty thick this time...:D

Scroll down. Step one is probably "Never include this beer in this list". :)

Step 2: Drink beers that come from Belgium.
Step 3: We'll make an exception for Allagash, and maybe a couple of other breweries...
Step 4: Realize that 99% of people may punch you in the berries if you act like a Belgian beer expert.

Guy: You want to try this Big Mac I'm eating. I love fine food. I can tell you more if you want to get into it.

Snob: WTF?

Guy: Yeah the cook gave it to me when we were touring McD's kitchens together.

Snob: wait... WTF?

Why do I think I've had beer and soda before? And why don't I remember clearly? How drunk was I?

There are actually quite a few "beer cocktails" which usually are a mixture of lager with other drinks such as tomato juice ("red eye" or a "michelada" which is a bit more complicated) or soda ("shandy" - for example, a "shandygaff" is usually ginger ale and lager while a "radler" is usually lemon soda and lager). There are even some beer cocktails with wine or champagne in them. I don't remember what they're called, but I also remember a few beer cocktails that had orange juice or apple juice in the mixture.

EDIT: I checked out my Japanese cocktail book and it had a few interesting beer cocktails in there. "Dog's Nose" is lager and dry gin. "Mint Beer" is lager and creme de menthe (mint liqueur). "Campari and Beer" was (obviously) lager and Campari.

I'm sure I didn't have a shandy or something sensible. I think it was dunkel and coke? I have a vague recollection of reading about it somewhere and wanting to try it. But I must have been pretty far gone to want to do that to a poor helpless dunkel.

I'm sure I didn't have a shandy or something sensible. I think it was dunkel and coke? I have a vague recollection of reading about it somewhere and wanting to try it. But I must have been pretty far gone to want to do that to a poor helpless dunkel.

I really enjoy some beer and soda cocktails, such as shandygaffs and radlers. I've never had coke mixed with any kind of beer, though. My old girlfriend was a big beer drinker, but she loved shandygaffs more than drinking beer on its own.

I haven't tried a red eye or michelada since I don't like tomato juice in general (not a fan of Bloody Marys either). I tried a Dog's Nose once. It tasted kind of like an "Imperial Lager." Wasn't really a fan of it. I'm sure I've tried a few other beer cocktails too. Some were pretty damn good. Some were just okay. And some were slightly unpleasant. Never had anything really horrible.

It's called Cola Weiss at one of the German restaurants local to me. I tried it once and it wasn't bad. It would have been better with a heavier pour of the beer; I think that it is 50/50.

Light German lager & lemon soda. Shandy...

A bartender used to offer this to me and a friend of mine. He wasn't fond of drinking beer but he tried it and ended up loving it. I think it might have been Kristalweizen and lemon soda though, and she called it a radler saying it was popular at bike races and that it was a pretty popular order for teenagers. I tried a glass and it was pretty good. I haven't tried coke though.

That reminds me - at the University of Wisconsin Union they used to serve this stuff called BB Lemon. It was this awful, sickly sweet 5ish ABV lemon stuff. Terrible on its own, but the idea was to blend it 50/50 with lager to make a shandy. (Badgers don't dilute their beer with non-alcoholic lemon soda.)

I can't find that stuff anywhere anymore. Too bad.

Bier-cola or Cola-Bier was pretty popular in Germany when I was there in 1999-2001. A lot of the younger crowd liked it in the various hip bars around town. I bet it is still popular. I tried it and it was...OK, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I find it has two names; Radlermass in Southern Germany & Alsterwasser in the North. Originated in Bavaria in the early 20th century. The bike trail story I've told over the years fits in here, as Hr Kugler (wonder if he's related to Grandpa Kroeger?) put up his inn in a little town called Deisenhofen, 12M outside Munich where he arranged for a bike path to go by his place after WWI when bicycling became popular.
One fine day in June 1922 some 13,000 cyclists descended on his place & damn near drank all his supply of beer. Oh Schnikes...what to do? Having several thousand bottles of clear lemon soda he couldn't sell, he mixed it 50/50 with his remaining beer & told the cyclists he made it just for them. He claimed he didn't want them falling off their bikes! Radlermass literally translates to cyclist liter of beer. I always thought that was a good story on the German beer institute site. I tended to think coke would overpower a dunkel though? It also goes on to say that the British shandy is beer & ginger beer.

Had a Boston Lager with a shotglass of Jager sitting in it over the new year. There's actually a name for it (not usually Boston Lager), but I really don't remember what it was. Not half bad as long as the taste of Jager doesn't make you ill.

I thought it was a good idea because I had already had a Victory 12 (12% bottled in '12), a Sam Octoberfest, and two fingers of Jameson :drunk: You can guess how the rest of my night went.

Back