Please give me your thoughts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose123

Reaction score
I just tasted my first hoppy Belgium strong ale I did. It wasn't very bitter and had a crazy mango flavor/aroma tasted great but why so fruity

Mash: 150 for 6o mins fly Sparge with at 173 for 30 mins
13 pounds German pils
2 pounds light Munich
0.5 pounds Melanoidin

Boil: 9O mins
2oz warrior at 90 mins
1oz cascade 1oz willamette 1oz falconers flight 3o mins left in boil
1oz cascade 1oz willamette 1 oz falconers 10 mins left plus 2 pounds sugar
2oz willamette 2oz cascade 1oz falconers flight flame out

Pitch 2 vials Belgium strong yeast 68 degrees
Og 1.080
Fg 1.018

Fermented 3 weeks still a Cloudy straw color when transferred to keg.

The flavor could be from the Falconers Flight, haven't tried it but the descriptions are usually pretty fruity(Tropical Fruit, Citrus, floral, lemon and Grapefruit character). Belgian yeast can also add to the fruitiness, especially if you stress the yeast (2 vials was on the low end for a big beer).

Well, Belgian yeast is known to have those flavors and I think a Golden Strong is likely to have some of those flavors as well. Never heard of Falconers Flight.

Falconer's reputedly has a lot of Citra, which tends to give off those tropical flavors/aromas. I'd place my bet on that, as Belgian yeast usually gives you fruitiness, but not tropical (in my experience at least).

its the falconers flight. its definitely tropical & fruity, but not to the levels of citra

Back