Tasted Beer First Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxracer846

Reaction score
I tasted my beer for the first time while tranfering to secondary. I am not sure what to think. Without carbonation and 66 degrees it is hard to tell how it will turn out. What should a nut brown ale taste like at this point? It was kind of dry. I could taste the grains but it was not sweet at all.:confused:

Unfinished beer is going to taste rough. I thought my first beer had soured after a week in the primary. I just popped my first bottle last night, 3 days after bottling. It was still rough and not real carbonated, but far more mellow and definitely drinkable.

You'll be fine! :mug:

The taste of your beer will be totally different when it is in the bottle and conditioned. It is fun to try it as you go and see how it changes. Biggest change I always notice is the hop bitterness. it really mellows through out the fermentation.:mug:
Once you have brewed for awhile you will realize that it's better to wait for the beer to condition before drinking it but you can still sample when you rack it. :)

i always taste my beer at every stage. Just before i pitch the yeast when i take a sample for OG. When i rack to a secondary to see how close it is to FG. And when i keg or bottle it i take another sample. What i'll do is try it when its warm and then i take it and put it in the fridge and and let it chill. And that way the sediment will settle out of it and it wont taste as bitter.

Browns change a lot as they age. Take notes. Learning how a brew changes as it ages and conditions is one of the really fun parts.

Latest posts

Back