The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad's buddy in regards to my Centennial IPA-"This is better than the IPA at the Pub" (meaning the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery)

No sh*t it's better. The beer there is garbage tourist beer. Yeah, I'm a hater.

One of my non-beer geek buddies: "Meh, it's ok, but can you brew a batch of Miller Lite?"

Another friend, upon being told I had a batch of ale brewing: "Oh, I thought you were making beer." (As in, he honestly thought that ales were something other than beer.)

Not stupid, but funny. I gave my dad a bottle of my Brewer's Best IPA and he said "Mmmm, Hopalong Cassidy"

drainbamage said:
Another friend, upon being told I had a batch of ale brewing: "Oh, I thought you were making beer." (As in, he honestly thought that ales were something other than beer.)

This is pretty common... along with an assumption that "ale" is somehow much stronger than "beer". "Ale" for some conjures visions of dank, powerful brew served out of barrels, usually consumed by vikings who get roaring drunk and then split each others heads open. That's what I've gotten from it anyway.

This is pretty common... along with an assumption that "ale" is somehow much stronger than "beer". "Ale" for some conjures visions of dank, powerful brew served out of barrels, usually consumed by vikings who get roaring drunk and then split each others heads open. That's what I've gotten from it anyway.

I think the state of Texas has any beer over a certain ABV% labeled as an Ale.

SwampassJ said:
I think the state of Texas has any beer over a certain ABV% labeled as an Ale.

I have heard it has to be labeled as malt liquor if it's above a certain abv. Texas laws might be worse than PAs.

LOL, I think it was more along the lines of ale being "something those commie Europeans drink warm while watching soccer and calling it 'football'", but you're probably on the right track.

I have also seen stronger ABV beers labeled as "ale" or "malt liquor". I don't think KY requires it by law because it doesn't seem to happen consistently, but it tends to show up on stuff over 7% ABV or so.

One of my non-beer geek buddies: "Meh, it's ok, but can you brew a batch of Miller Lite?"

Historically, ale was brewed without hops while beer was with hops. Obviously this definition fell out of common usage over 100 years ago. But the more you know and whatnot.

Everyone who tries my beer tells me they are surprised that such a tasty beverage can come from my basement, and also are impressed with how different each one can be.

And frankly, so am I.

Had another unusual comment come up this week while talking to a co-worker and fellow homebrewer:

Him: "Are you making any beers this winter?"

Me: "Yeah, I have a black IPA going right now. It's about 3 weeks in."

H: "I've never heard of that. Is it dark?"

M: "Yeah."

H: "So, is it really hoppy, like a Guinness?"

M: "Uh...it's pretty hoppy."

The thing that caught me off-guard wasn't so much the unfamiliarity with the style as it was considering Guinness a hoppy beer. Maybe it's just me, but I've always considered Guinness more malty than hoppy.

...The thing that caught me off-guard wasn't so much the unfamiliarity with the style as it was considering Guinness a hoppy beer. Maybe it's just me, but I've always considered Guinness more malty than hoppy.

Probably the roasted flavour being bitter and the bitter being precieved as hoppy.

drainbamage said:
Had another unusual comment come up this week while talking to a co-worker and fellow homebrewer:

Him: "Are you making any beers this winter?"

Me: "Yeah, I have a black IPA going right now. It's about 3 weeks in."

H: "I've never heard of that. Is it dark?"

M: "Yeah."

H: "So, is it really hoppy, like a Guinness?"

M: "Uh...it's pretty hoppy."

The thing that caught me off-guard wasn't so much the unfamiliarity with the style as it was considering Guinness a hoppy beer. Maybe it's just me, but I've always considered Guinness more malty than hoppy.

That's probably the most common misconception. People are intimidated by the darkness. I guess it's a result of all the macros making the lightest, clearest beers possible. People laugh when I say Guiness is my light beer.

My wife saw my starter and asked if that is why she got a yeast infection lol. Maybe I can pasteurize her or something?

Beezy said:
My wife saw my starter and asked if that is why she got a yeast infection lol. Maybe I can pasteurize her or something?

Make her take a campden tablet supplement

Maybe you have a sanitisation issue? Please explain your process in detail and we might be able to tell you where you went wrong :drunk:

Yeast Infection = Candida Albicans
Beer Yeast = Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

And the latter (beer yeast) actually kills the former (yeast infection yeast). So you're actually making yeast infections less likely by having a starter around.

Utah made those kits illegal. The state figures that the product is marketed to underage drinkers.

How true. Its basically a hooch kit. Not a single person who can legally drink would do that more than once. The whole patience factor would limit this products success. Personally, I don't think Mr Beer has very little long term customer loyalty.

bernerbrau said:
Yeast Infection = Candida Albicans
Beer Yeast = Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

And the latter (beer yeast) actually kills the former (yeast infection yeast). So you're actually making yeast infections less likely by having a starter around.

Boy you must have been in this situation before?

Boy you must have been in this situation before?

10561121,height=150,width=150,disapproving-eyes.png

Stupidest comment was the first comment I ever got from the first kit beer I ever brewed (brewers best Brown Ale). I gave a bottle to one of my wife's girlfriends and she said "One day I came home after having a bad day and drank your beer along with a pound of Gummi bears. It went really well with the Gummi bears."

And then she recycled the bottle.

Im thinking about buying some mr.beer ingredients just to make good beer from a mr.beer.hmm,you never know til you try.I dont know if i even trust how people brew if they cant make good beer from these anyway.so if i make good beer from this then what? Youll laugh at me with my pants down with some whitey tightys drinkin a mr.beer,beer?hmm

Utah made those kits illegal. The state figures that the product is marketed to underage drinkers.

they proably did it because you can mail order them and lie about your age.To make beer and drink underage.

I just went to the brewshop to pick up my bottles from our national homebrew competition. I've not got my score sheet back yet but apparently my black IPA was out of style so wasnt judged. I entered it under the specialty beer category :drunk: am I missing something? btw there wasn't a black IPA category.

I just went to the brewshop to pick up my bottles from our national homebrew competition. I've not got my score sheet back yet but apparently my black IPA was out of style so wasnt judged. I entered it under the specialty beer category :drunk: am I missing something? btw there wasn't a black IPA category.

Did you write "black IPA" on the entry form?

Back