Stout extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sum1Stu

Reaction score
I was brewing a beer that was intended to be mixed with 25L of water, and used all the malt on just 19-20L, and ive waiting 2days and the gravity wont go below 1.010, it might be at 1.008 but I cant guarantee. I tried twiling bubbles away, and all those hydrometer tricks but it seems the gravity wont fall anymore.

Could this be because the malt has a certain % of unfermentable sugars ? I usually can get the batch down to 1.002 - 1.004 before priming and bottling.

What yeast did you use? What was your post-boil gravity?

At first glance I'd say you're probably fully attenuated. If you're nervous about it, you might try raising the temperature a bit, or boiling and cooling some sugar and adding it to see if you can kick start the fermentation.

Wow, I hardly ever get down to 1.004. 1.007-8 sometimes if it sits past a month, but 1.010 seems finished out to me. The yeast, fermentables and temp would be responsible, but 1.010 seems good. I hear extract seems to finish higher, not to mention it seems like you made a higher gravity beer, which tend to finish higher. Could you post specifics on the recipe and yeast used?

Well I have made this before and it turned out going lower, so im only expecting the same results.

The yeast came with the kit, its cooper stout. From my knowledge it seems PM's and AGs have higher FG's, than malt extract kits.

The SG was 1.038

Theyr all bottled now, and something funny I should mention...usually when adding priming sugar I get lots of bubbling, and usually you can see sugar sticking to the bottom of the bottle. WELL a couple bottles did not bubble, even when I turned em upside down to mix the sugar in better ONTOP of it all on those same ones I didnt even see the deposit of sugar on the bottom! I think I even added 2x the sugar in a few of them!

I just bottled an extract stout (Irish Stout from Midwest) that had an FG of 1.018. This is supposed to be a dry stout (like Guinness) but it ended up quite sweet and heavy-bodied. I've heard the dark malt extracts are supposed to have lots of unfermentable sugars in them, so maybe that's the case.

I'm kicking myself because I didn't take an OG reading...would've been nice to know.

Back