2013 NHC in Philly! Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I'm sure there is! I love IPAs and pale ales, so if you have something local that I would enjoy (and some to bring home to Bob), I'm sure we can work something out!

The final round of judging is Thursday AM, also in the conference center, but I'm not judging in the BOS in the afternoon so I'll be available after lunch time on Thursday I believe.
awesome, i'll come up with something good for ya. see ya there!

First timer, live in the Philly burbs and will be training it in from Paoli. Coming in Friday morning after spending a week in Vegas on vacation! Great week ahead!

Our club--Bruclear--will be pouring and has an awesome 6 tap setup with some great brews. We had two stations, but gave one up to Bobby M's WHALES club because they got screwed.

Not even thinking about going to Monk's or the other great beer bars. They're already zoos on the weekends, and with a few thousand beer geeks in town.....oof!

Hope to meet many of you there....come over to the Bruclear station on club night. Everybody be safe and attempt to be sensible...

Jturie,
We finished up the on tap board tonight, check it out.

For you out of towners, I typed this up for my brother

Belgium Café(by art museum,cab, long walk – 20 mins)
When coming into town
*************** Tired Hands, best brewery in Philly
All in walking
Bru(walking)
Nodding Heads(walking, near monks)
Perch Pub(walking)
Caribou Café(nothing special, but good place)
Spring garden, prob not worth it
Frankford Hall(cab, german selection)
Little far, cool place, you would dig it
Standard Tap
South Philly, others here too, would be away from the crowd
POPE(Pub on Passyank Easy, cab, but away from the scene, great selection)
South Philly Tap room
Cool part of town, old city, tons of others
Farmers Cabinet(good selection on euros
Race Street Café(small, great place, longer walk)
Triumph brewery
Eulogy
These could make a nice trip, south street, dinner and walk your way back
*************** Bruhaus Schmitz
Bambridge Barrel House( while there walk to johns, this is on south and lots to do there)
Johns(birthplace of Larry Fine)
Beer Stubbe(walking from johns, then kyber
Kyber Pass(weird Philly, but cool and near beer stubbe, near eurology)
Others
Yards

Forgot the photo

ForumRunner_20130620_222920.png

I'm coming on the train from Lancaster. It is a no-brainer for me as I'm from there and with the crazy parking situation, tolls, gas, etc. I'll take the train and let Amtrak do the driving. Plus its quicker.

I'm super-pumped for this. I was thinking about making a lanyard or something with my forum handles displayed so people will know who I am. Not sure if this is dumb or not.

milldoggy said:
Jturie,
We finished up the on tap board tonight, check it out.

For you out of towners, I typed this up for my brother

Belgium Café(by art museum,cab, long walk – 20 mins)
When coming into town
*************** Tired Hands, best brewery in Philly
All in walking
Bru(walking)
Nodding Heads(walking, near monks)
Perch Pub(walking)
Caribou Café(nothing special, but good place)
Spring garden, prob not worth it
Frankford Hall(cab, german selection)
Little far, cool place, you would dig it
Standard Tap
South Philly, others here too, would be away from the crowd
POPE(Pub on Passyank Easy, cab, but away from the scene, great selection)
South Philly Tap room
Cool part of town, old city, tons of others
Farmers Cabinet(good selection on euros
Race Street Café(small, great place, longer walk)
Triumph brewery
Eulogy
These could make a nice trip, south street, dinner and walk your way back
*************** Bruhaus Schmitz
Bambridge Barrel House( while there walk to johns, this is on south and lots to do there)
Johns(birthplace of Larry Fine)
Beer Stubbe(walking from johns, then kyber
Kyber Pass(weird Philly, but cool and near beer stubbe, near eurology)
Others
Yards

I would recommend everyone skip Tired Hands. If you want a good local brewpub, try Dock Street in west Philly. Or Triumph and Nodding Head. Iron hill is also a good choice, but not nearby.

Skip Bainbridge Barrel House. Brauhaus Schmitz is iffy, fine for beer but not food.

Standard Tap and Frankford Hall are recommended too.

Also good and nearby- Varga Bar, Garces Trading Company, Village Whiskey, Alla Spina, Percy St BBQ. Close to the hotel- Good Dog Bar. A little further out- Sidecar.

If you want to buy beer- Bella Vista is the best distributor. Bottle shops are around, but it's going to cost you.

Why in the WORLD would you tell anyone to skip Tired Hands while in town?!?!? Their beer is fantastic! Do NOT skip Tired Hands if you have the time to make it to Ardmore. Do you like Saisons and amazing IPAs/Pale Ales? Of course you do, go to Tired Hands.

Seriously, do not listen to that guy unless his point is that there is plenty to do in center city. Although thats true, nothing compares to Tired Hands at the moment...

Memphis Taproom and Kraftwork are being left off of a lot of lists of bars, pretty surpassing actually. If you want to take the 5 minute subway ride to Fishtown you can hit Frankford Hall, Johnny Brendas, Kraftwork and Memphis Taproom in one shot.

Memphis would require a sub $10 cab ride but its worth it.

Surely not. I'm guessing because it's expensive or full of hipsters. I'll be there when they open Weds. Supposed to be pretty empty early .

Its not expensive, if anything its more reasonable then most places.

If youre afraid of Hipsters then I would recommend not leaving center city, and basically robbing yourself of a ton of fantastic places to visit in Philly.

Fishtown and Northern Liberties are basically the Brooklyn of Philly (obviously far smaller).

I would also recommend Kite and Key and Bishops Collar while over in the Art Museum area (after visiting Belgian Cafe).

I agree on Tired Hands - not that badly priced at all and the beer is great! They get their share of hipsters, but the times I've been there I've seen far more beer nerds and the stereotypical image of the homebrew (think the Buffalo Wild Wings ads :) )

If you are coming from the south - MD Exit 109 off 95 towards Newark, DE will drop you out near Stateline Liquors (1/2 mile north on right) - not impressive from the outside - but their selection of craft and international brews is very impressive. I've done Total Wine in Tampa and Fort Meyers (oddly enough not the one 30 mins away but....) and although their beer selection is excellent I think Stateline is even better.

Also if you leave Stateline and continue north towards Newark and take a right onto Rt4 and then a right onto 896 South you can drop back onto Rt 95 after the $4 Delaware tolls.

If anyone tells you to skip Tired Hands it's because they are going there themselves and don't want others to show up so they can get a spot at the bar.

Honestly, TH's is putting out some of the best beer in the US right now. If you've never been and you purposely avoid it you're a fool.

do people really think well have time to go sampling outside of the conference?
+1. seriously. folks paid big bucks to get in to the conference, where there will be more great beer on offer than anywhere else in the city, and y'all are clamoring to take planes trains and automobiles to drink in the suburbs? :drunk:

thursday night is pro night, don't see why you'd want to go anywhere else. friday is club night, there is no reason to be anywhere else. i guess that leaves saturday night if you're not going to the banquet...

...thursday night is pro night, don't see why you'd want to go anywhere else. friday is club night, there is no reason to be anywhere else. i guess that leaves saturday night if you're not going to the banquet...

Exactly! I was wondering the same, who has the time or desire...
But then realize there is Wednesday, and Sunday, don't forget. :drunk:

Some people who are coming from out of town make a week of it, so they will have days outside of the conference to do sigh seeing (drinking) around the city.

As a local I am just trying to be helpful on place to see and go.

So after all, I am going.

Realizing how close-by it is, it became too hard to pass up. I'm looking forward to attend, it's my very first time, and hopefully meet some of you.

I'm tentatively driving in with claphamsa on Wednesday, (one car less in the city).

But I'm looking for a ride back to the South Baltimore (I-95) area on Sunday. Is anyone interested in a passenger for the ride back? Split the gas and tolls.

Some people who are coming from out of town make a week of it, so they will have days outside of the conference to do sigh seeing (drinking) around the city.

Since this is my first time, what do you use for an all-day sampling glass?

Upon registration we receive a fancy tulip sampler. Is anyone really using those?

I was thinking of carrying a small 3-4 oz "pocket" glass, like a conical shooter. But is that impractical with the taps?

Since this is my first time, what do you use for an all-day sampling glass?

Upon registration we receive a fancy tulip sampler. Is anyone really using those?

I was thinking of carrying a small 3-4 oz "pocket" glass, like a conical shooter. But is that impractical with the taps?

Is it a tulip this year? It changes from year to year.

I agree knowledge is power!
I was more asking if there will be actual down time...sadly none of these places were there when i live in philly :( (nodding head was, but thats it)

Is it a tulip this year? It changes from year to year.

Ah, upon closer inspection the picture shows last year's. Guess we'll be in for a surprise then.

But does anyone use them there?
Aren't they sort of collector's items, so our great-great-grandchildren can sell them on auction sites to pay for Justin Bieber's great-great-grandson's concert tickets?

Ah, upon closer inspection the picture shows last year's. Guess we'll be in for a surprise then.

But does anyone use them there?
Aren't they sort of collector's items, so our great-great-grandchildren can sell them on auction sites to pay for Justin Bieber's great-great-grandson's concert tickets?

Yeah, pretty much everyone uses them. You carry them around in the pocket in your registration lanyard.

Ill be there, hanging out with the Michigan Coalition of Homebrews. I'll be wearing my CRAFT Homebrew Club gear.

Can't wait!

Exactly! I was wondering the same, who has the time or desire...
But then realize there is Wednesday, and Sunday, don't forget. :drunk:

wednesday is BNA8, sunday is "crawl back home and beg for SWMBO's forgiveness" night... :cross:

I'm going to the DFH tour on Wednesday, and then on to the BNA8 party.

The final round judging doesn't start until 8:30 AM Thursday, so I figure that I might as well start the week out right!

Latest posts

Back