MD Spring brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw the messages about this from another thread and may be interested in attending - but with 11 pages of posts here and information scattered all around, it is difficult to tell when and where this actually is occurring, and what needs to happen for someone to join in. Any chance someone could consolidate these?

On another note, I've always wondered - when you go to a brew day like this, how the heck do you get your wort home? Do you let everything slosh around in the primary while you drive? Or just stick it in a keg, seal that up, and then move it into a primary after getting home?

It's March 14th, Severna Park, MD. PM 98EXL for directions.
Post if you wish to brew, and claphamsa will pick up enough ingredients.

Most of us put it in a carboy and give it lots of pre-ferment oxygen by sloshing. We've done the keg thing as well when we were in a pinch.

I've used a keg to transfer and I like it but one problem is that its just another transfer you have to do with your beer to get it into the fermenter.

I live over an hours drive away and I just put it in the bucket and let it slosh around. It turned out fine.

I think madman and firebrewer are considering it. I'll send them a message and find out for sure.

we need someone to feed the recpie into beer smith

and we need to decide if we want to use another kind of or more hops. as kugel pointed out, thats not alot, and i aint got no halletauer. got tons of cascade though ;)

we need someone to feed the recpie into beer smith

and we need to decide if we want to use another kind of or more hops. as kugel pointed out, thats not alot, and i aint got no halletauer. got tons of cascade though ;)

I can do it tonight if noone does it before. What recipe are we using anyway?

What are we switching the hops with? And the style IBU is 15-30, what do we want this to be? Also, since we got the light munich in the bulk buy not dark I used a darker caramunich to make up for it.

Talking with Clap and looking at substitution charts for hops and what we have on hand we are thinking willamette as a sub for hallertau. I don't know about the grains though, I just was reading today and realized there are different types of Munich.

I'll plug the recipe into Beersmith tonight or tommorow during the day.

Just so we don't have to search through the thread for the info.

claphamsa 5 gallons
Yunus 5 gallons
Mike B 5 Gallons
Jmulligan 5 gallons
Dataz722 5 gallons
If your NOT on this list because I didn't see your name or you haven't posted yet PM me or make a post ASAP!

Recipe is

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.64
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 16.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.0 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
15.0 2.25 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
14.2 2.13 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
10.8 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
32.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 4.75 16.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

I will be going for specialty grains and yesties on Sunday but ill put in the order on friday (gotta keep busy at work!) so make sure you get it in!!!!

Someone said something about some of the PA guys coming down? we need to know soon! as is Yunus is gonna have ot bring some of the wheat since I only have 44 LBS left....

I already have it in beersmith, just didn't know what to swap for the hops. There are about 6 different types of munich. Each brand has a light and a dark and they are drastically different from brand to brand so our color may be a little off.

Also do you want me to up the IBU's to within the style or leave them where they are in the recipe? Claph what is the aa of the willamette?

Alas, I cannot attend the brewday.

Just a thought... why doesn't Clap pick up the ~5 oz of Hallertauer at the LHBS with yeasties etc? Neither willamette nor sterling seem entirely appropriate for this style.

combination of money savings and we have it on hand but if anyone doesn't want williamete, I'm easy going. So I my batch can use pretty much any hops someone else wants.

Talking with Clap and looking at substitution charts for hops and what we have on hand we are thinking willamette as a sub for hallertau. I don't know about the grains though, I just was reading today and realized there are different types of Munich.

I'll plug the recipe into Beersmith tonight or tommorow during the day.

Just so we don't have to search through the thread for the info.

claphamsa 5 gallons
Yunus 5 gallons
Mike B 5 Gallons
Jmulligan 5 gallons
Dataz722 5 gallons
98EXL 5 Gallons
If your NOT on this list because I didn't see your name or you haven't posted yet PM me or make a post ASAP!

Recipe is

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.64
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 16.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
60.0 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
15.0 2.25 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
14.2 2.13 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
10.8 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
32.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 4.75 16.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Late too this thread. Got a PM from jezter6 about a combi brew day for us PA-MD brewers. The local club I belong to is doing a club brew day this Sat. I can't make next Sat for your MD brewday. Let's plan a brew day equal distance from Lanc, York , Baltimore area. Maybe somewhere in Southern Lanc county or Eastern Northern Md around Elkton?

Back