MD Spring brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wiezenbock sounds cool. We make a DoppelAlt (since we couldn't lager the bock at the time) that was pretty cool.

Personally, I don't care much except that I don't have much of an interest in anything heavier than like a doppelbock. I'm not into doubles/tripels/barelywines/etc right now.

Again, I actually LIKE the idea of sitting around chilling out and drinking instead of running around like crazy.

Weizenbocks are fermented at 60oF (with the Weihenstephan Weizen yeast) or thereabouts, not lagered.

Hey - one final thing.

I'm going to buy a few pounds of hops from hopunion. Does anyone want 1/2 lb of magnum, Czech saaz or German Hellertau? The min. you can buy is 1 lb; the hops come to about $1.40 to $1.70 per ounce before shipping.

Let me know!

I might be interested. When you ordering and is this year's or last years crop?

What do you plan on doing wit these hops? I mean I have TONS of halleruar...and I see no recipes for it ever.... just saying! make sure you buy something you will use, not somethig that is cheap!

Weizenbocks are fermented at 60oF (with the Weihenstephan Weizen yeast) or thereabouts, not lagered.

Aye. That's why I said I couldn't lager the bock. :)
I don't know if I have a steady place of 60F though...my fridge in the garage might be too cold for that.

What do you plan on doing wit these hops? I mean I have TONS of halleruar...and I see no recipes for it ever.... just saying! make sure you buy something you will use, not somethig that is cheap!

Belgians. I make 4-5 Belgians per year, and the hallertauer would work great for most Belgian styles. But.... I would only use about 8 oz or so.

Belgians or Hefe's will use up the Hallertau pretty quick.

I'm down for whatever we want to brew but I agree 1 recipe will be better. Ingredients bought ahead of time and in bulk when possible.

Not that I mind joppa at all, hell its the best for me but why should we do that with the grain?

lets Assume we order 10 bags. What kind of shipping are we talking about? I'm good for 1 bag, really I can't justify more than that.

you need to order a full palate to make a bul order worth it... I believe that's either 20 or 40, I could probably do 7-8

ok, assume we do the minimum 20. That means at least 2 for me, assuming we don't get a crazy number of people randomly wanting large quantity's of grain?
Chicken lady have an obsession with grain were not aware of? That would be sweet.

What's shipping on a palette then? I just wanna know the approximate price per lb shipped in bulk vs getting it local.

I'm in for a Bulk buy, does it have to be a single type? or can the pallet have more than one type, I could use a bag each of Pale, Wheat, and Pils malts

from my impression of bulk buys, as long as you order in palet sizes it can be whatever you want! 5 of these 2 of these one of these :)

We should decide on what type of beer were making in the spring so we can make sure we get the right grains in the bulk grain buy.

Everyone seems to want to do a high gravity brew which is cool with me. The last 3 suggestions I saw were

Weizenbock

Saison

Barleywine

Choose one of those or make another suggestion. I think personally I would like to make weizenbock but I'll brew anything.

umm, beer is my vote!

If we lock a date a month out, I can do it at my house since I have a teh suck work schedule

I'm not sure there was any consensus on this in the other thread, but a combined bulk-buy happens and York is the delivery point, a joint brew day might be in the cards.

Perhaps a PM to Warrior is in order.

Ok, well we need to narrow some things down soon so we can buy whatever we need as part of the bulk buy. As of right now that order is going in on 1/26 so lets try and get some idea of recipe and number of people before then.

or iipa! since we are doing a bulk buy this might be a good time and just buy a pound or so of hops just for this.

I like the idea of a wiezenbock, or a kolsch, or something light for summer.

What about "Pongy Lite?" the low cal, pong beer? :p

I just made a SMASH. Marris otter and crystal hops. Might turn out to be a good lite beer. Or it might turn out to be ****, dunno, but I'll bring some with me either way and surprise you guys.

pongy lite could be interesting. But you do know that we wil be required to play pong while we are making or atleast the day of pongy lite

Latest posts

Back