MD Spring brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil's book has a good looking weizenbock recipe. I'll see if I can dig it out tonight.

Anyone have a good known weizenbock recipe?

Just a quick search on this board reveals..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/weizenbock-21018/

It's a Wheat base and luckily Clap and I bought a bag of wheat in the bulk grain buy. I know I can spare a good bit of wheat, can't speak for Clap though.

Was a recipe ever decided on? And can someone reccomend a comercial example of a weizenbock. Never had one and want to try it first.

Would that be March 14th 2009 perchance? :)

What you don't wanna brew on Friday? :)

Yeah its supposed to be the 14th. Have we settled on a recipe? I suggest any recipes to be considered be posted in this thread before Thursday Feb 19 noon, we can look over them and vote, dictate, pull out of a hat, deathmatch cage fight to determine the winner by COB Friday Feb 20 5pm.

JZ's Weizenbock from brewing classic styles

5 lbs pilsner malt
10 lbs dark wheat malt
2 lbs Munich
Special B (120 L) 0.5 lbs
Crystal (40 L) 0.5 lbs
Pale chocolate (200 L) 0.25 lbs

Hallertau (4% AA) 60 mins
Yeast: WLP 300 (Hefeweizen Ale) or Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen)
Ferment at 62oF
Carbonate to 2.5 o 5 volumes.

OG 1.081
FG 1.021
IBU 23
SRM 16
ABV 8.0%

ok, so thinking deep on this, we need recpie.

I have to go to MDHB the weekend before the brew to pick up my hops rihozomes so I can get any other **** we need :)

Yep, it's a Weizenbock...several months aging is a good thing here, as well as a pound of rice hulls in the mash.

Weizenbock

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.073 Plato: 17.64
Anticipated SRM: 11.1
Anticipated IBU: 16.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.0 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
15.0 2.25 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
14.2 2.13 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
10.8 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 4.75 16.0 60 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Recipe looks good! The only questions I have are:

1. Can we fit 30 lbs of grain into our MLTs to do a 10 gallon batch?
2. Is the recipe a touch light on the hops, 32 g = a hair over 1 oz of hellertau @ 4.75% and 16 IBUs. Don't we need to get about 20 to 25 IBUs or so?

good point! a 10 gallon cooler WILL NOT hold 30 lbs... the max is like 24.75 (assuming normal water levels)

Didnt realize this beer was so big......

I have a 10G jezters has a 10G garret has a 10G i think yunus does as well, dunno about data... so we can do 2 batches at a time....

how many will we want?

Yunus 5 gallons.

If your going to attend please make a post and put how much you are going to brew. Please try to post before Clap goes to the store in about a week, this will ensure we have enough ingredients on hand.

Speaking of yeast I just got an email that my LHBS just got 3 Wyeast Private collection yeasts in stock. If anyone would like me to pick one up for them let me know as soon as possible, I don't know how many they got in stock.

Wyeast 9093-PC Imperial Blend
Beer Styles: American Barleywine, Imperial IPA, Imperial Red, Imperial Brown, Imperial Porter, Russian Imperial Stout

Profile: This unique blend of strains is designed to ferment higher gravity worts used in producing any style of Imperial beer. The results will be a rich, malty, full bodied beer with notes of citrus & fruity esters. Even with a high starting gravity your Imperials will have a relatively dry finish.

Alc. Tolerance 12-14%

Flocculation low-medium

Attenuation 75-80%

Temperature Range 68-75°F (20-24°C)

Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend
Beer Styles: English Barleywine, English Strong Ale, Old Ale
Profile: To bring you a bit of English brewing heritage we developed the “Old Ale” blend, including an attenuative ale strain and a Brettanomyces strain, which will ferment well in dark worts and produce beers with nice fruitiness. Complex estery characters will emerge with age. Pie cherry and sourness will evolve from the Brettanomyces along with distinct horsey characteristics.

Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 75-80%

Wyeast 3864-PC Canadian/Belgian Ale
Beer Styles: Belgian Dubbel and Tripel, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, Biere de Garde, Witbier
Profile: This strain has a classic profile producing mild phenolics which increase with higher fermentation temperatures. It has a low ester profile with a dry, slightly tart finish. This strain is alcohol tolerant while producing complex & well balanced beers.

Alc. Tolerance 12%

Flocculation medium

Attenuation 75-79%
Temperature Range 65-80°F (18-27°C)

I have a 10G jezters has a 10G garret has a 10G i think yunus does as well, dunno about data... so we can do 2 batches at a time....

how many will we want?

I am actually planning on finishing up my MLT tonight. I'll let you know how that goes and if I will be able to bring it or not.

Speaking of yeast I just got an email that my LHBS just got 3 Wyeast Private collection yeasts in stock. If anyone would like me to pick one up for them let me know as soon as possible, I don't know how many they got in stock.

Wyeast 9093-PC Imperial Blend
Beer Styles: American Barleywine, Imperial IPA, Imperial Red, Imperial Brown, Imperial Porter, Russian Imperial Stout

Profile: This unique blend of strains is designed to ferment higher gravity worts used in producing any style of Imperial beer. The results will be a rich, malty, full bodied beer with notes of citrus & fruity esters. Even with a high starting gravity your Imperials will have a relatively dry finish.

Alc. Tolerance 12-14%

Flocculation low-medium

Attenuation 75-80%

Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend
Beer Styles: English Barleywine, English Strong Ale, Old Ale
Profile: To bring you a bit of English brewing heritage we developed the “Old Ale” blend, including an attenuative ale strain and a Brettanomyces strain, which will ferment well in dark worts and produce beers with nice fruitiness. Complex estery characters will emerge with age. Pie cherry and sourness will evolve from the Brettanomyces along with distinct horsey characteristics.

Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 75-80%

Wyeast 3864-PC Canadian/Belgian Ale
Beer Styles: Belgian Dubbel and Tripel, Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, Biere de Garde, Witbier
Profile: This strain has a classic profile producing mild phenolics which increase with higher fermentation temperatures. It has a low ester profile with a dry, slightly tart finish. This strain is alcohol tolerant while producing complex & well balanced beers.

Alc. Tolerance 12%

Flocculation medium

Attenuation 75-79%
Temperature Range 65-80°F (18-27°C)

How much?

Back