Advice for simple Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
After a holiday hiatus and about 10 batches worth of practice I finally bought my first smack pack of Belgian yeast (3522). I want to make a simple pale-ish recipe first as my "starter" for a bdsa, and just pitch a slurry from the cake to my bdsa (I was thinking of a cup and a half of fresh slurry from this for a 1.078 OG bdsa?). I was going to try and keep it around 4.5-5%. Maybe even less and go for just a Belgian table beer.

So.... What to use besides 2row? I have several options:
1 lbs flaked wheat
1-2 lbs rye
.5-2 lbs homemade deep amber syrup (a la snickasarusrex)
.5 flaked barley
Plenty of special B

Also, all I have right now are American hops. Moreover, what I would consider IPA hops - chinook, centennial, and Amarillo. I was leaning towards Amarillo as the Boulevard uses them in tank 7. Maybe about 25-30 IBUs and a KO addition?

Anyway, this obviously won't be a "letter of the law" Belgian, but after reading Brew Like A Monk I am less concerned with that. I'm more of a "spirit of the law" brewer anyway. Any opinions or advice anyone has will be much appreciated!

I might do the lb of wheat and a handful of special B. Although going the rye route might be nice too. Im not sure about the hops. Hop it like an APA and see what happens. I bet it will be good.

Anyone else? I forgot I have a pound of dark munich as well. I was saving it for a rye ipa, but that is a ways away actually, so I could just home toast some 2 row I guess.

I toasted some malt tonight for kicks. I think I'll probably add it. The final recipe should be something like:

7# 2row
2# 2row, toasted
1# wheat, flaked
.25# Special B

.5 Amarillo @ 60
1 Amarillo @ 10
1 Amarillo @ Flame Out

Wyeast 3522

Comments? Do you think the yeast will come through? Not too familiar with the yeast, and kinda concerned that it will be too subdued.

This had way too much toasted malt. It is stepping on the yeast and hops. It isn't undrinkable, but I dont see myself bringing a sixer or 12 of this to share at parties. Up next, version 2!

i would increase the Special B to 0.5 lbs, that would we still be only 5% of your grain bill. consensus seems to be that you want to keep it under 10%, so a half-pound would be fine. you could also consider adding some spices like coriander, star anise, orange peel, etc.

the use of sugar (whether "straight" or inverted, candi, etc) is also something to consider.

Anyway, this obviously won't be a "letter of the law" Belgian, but after reading Brew Like A Monk I am less concerned with that. I'm more of a "spirit of the law" brewer anyway.
PREACH IT. totally with you. i don't follow recipes, i take inspiration from them. i really liked the message from BlaM that "belgian beer" isn't a style, it's a philosophy.

i was just thinking of starting a "zen and the art of brewing" thread this morning... but like just about every other debate that's ever been had about brewing, i'm sure it already exists here on HBT :cross:

Back