My Boil Kettle Sprung a leak!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I was brewing up a partial mash nut brown last night following this procedure:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/?highlight=Easy+Partial+Mash

I was mashing the grains in a small pot and put 2 gallons in my brew pot to heat to sparge with. I noticed a lot of water on the bottom, and upon further inspection found a hole!

We were doing this at my friends house, end had to quickly come up with a solution. So, we used his electric turkey fryer and went with a partial boil instead of my usual full boil.

racked the hot wort onto ice and set outside in the snow and fridged temps to cool. Took FOREVER! The immersion chiller was not an option with this pot.

the OG came within spec, 1.046 but I still have no activity in the fermenter. Hope this beer turns out

Have any of you used the electric turkey fryers to boil in?

Well,anyways I'm off to find me a new boil pot. I was using the pot that came with the turkey fryer kit I bought. I have had a hell of a time trying to find a keg from a legitimate source.

This happened to me with the pot that came with the propane turkey fryer that alot of people have. You can't expect much, it is really thin aluminum.

Now after all the screwing around and the time it took to cool, I'm afraid its stuck. absolutely zero activity tonight. I panicked a little and hydrated a pack of dry yeast I had in the fridge and pitched it. guess we'll see what happens. :confused::confused:

Back