Going Electric for a vessel, but which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
I've been looking at Electric systems for awhile and have settled on the new blichmann surface with the brewcommander. However, i'm trying to decide as to which purpose i should use this for.
My current system is a 3 vessel system. Cooler sparge tank, SS Brewtech Infussion Mash tun (10 gallon), and 10 gallon stainless brew pot. I'm currently brewing a lot of lagers lately, and i struggle to get to the correct temperature for infusion step mashes and decoction mashes. Being able to directly heat my mash would be clutch in this situation. However, if i replace my mash tun with the electric Surface, i still have to direct fire my boil kettle which is my oldest piece of brew equipment.
I know this is really a "my preference" type scenario but looking at other points of view. Do i use the electric as a boil kettle, so i no longer have to worry about picking up heavy pots, and reduce the likelihood of burning myself, and not have to worry about buying propane? If so, then i'd have to further try my best to dial in step mashes. Or do i swap out my infussion mash tun for electric, sell the mash tun, and be able to adjust my mash temps with the touch of a button?
What would you do?

I have a 3 vessel 'old school' propane setup (2 kettles/burners, 1 mash tun cooler). If you're intent to just staying with propane, adding another kettle/burner may be a cheaper solution.

A lot of one vessel brewers are going to tell you that you can control temp adjustments much better with a one vessel brew in a bag (BIAB) setup. Honestly, if you're intent on going electric, I'd get the 20G Surface and a false bottom/BIAB bag. I'm thinking about this for myself so I can brew in my garage year around.

You should convert to a 15 gallon electric brew in a bag system and sell your three existing vessels. That way you don't have to lift and clean two pots.

It will be the fastest step mashing system you can possibly build.

You won't have to consider the "next" electric upgrade because you'll be done. And happy.

You should convert to a 15 gallon electric brew in a bag system and sell your three existing vessels. That way you don't have to lift and clean two pots.

It will be the fastest step mashing system you can possibly build.

You won't have to consider the "next" electric upgrade because you'll be done. And happy.

Just for added info, what's the largest batch/gravity one can do in a 15 gallon e-kettle setup?

Just for added info, what's the largest batch/gravity one can do in a 15 gallon e-kettle setup?
It's primarily a 6 gallon batch system with no practical gravity limit. It's possible to do 10 gallons of session beer like 4% but I wouldn't consider it a 10 gallon system. A 20 gallon can do 6 to 12 gallon batches.

If you try to do a 10 gallon batch you will need 13+ gallons at boil time. That's filling the kettle really close to the top. I have a 15 gallon electric 3 vessel HERMs rig and I tried a 10 gallon batch only once. That was enough for me. For 5 gallon batches however it's perfect for any grain bill and any strength beer.

If you try to do a 10 gallon batch you will need 13+ gallons at boil time. That's filling the kettle really close to the top. I have a 15 gallon electric 3 vessel HERMs rig and I tried a 10 gallon batch only once. That was enough for me. For 5 gallon batches however it's perfect for any grain bill and any strength beer.

No problems for me doing 10 gallons in my propane setup (also 3 vessel), if I keep then recipe sessionable. I was mainly asking for those that might do BIAB in a 15 gallon kettle. Since your doing a full volume mash, I was curious how big of a grain bill and what strength beer.

I try to keep my preboil at 12 gallons. Like you said, at 13 you're asking for trouble.

No problems for me doing 10 gallons in my propane setup (also 3 vessel), if I keep then recipe sessionable. I was mainly asking for those that might do BIAB in a 15 gallon kettle. Since your doing a full volume mash, I was curious how big of a grain bill and what strength beer.

I try to keep my preboil at 12 gallons. Like you said, at 13 you're asking for trouble.
For a 10 gal batch in a 15 gal kettle, let's limit the mash volume to 14 gal, and pre-boll volume to 12 gal (1.5 boil off + 0.5 kettle trub.) Grain takes up about 0.08 gal/lb in the mash, and if we figure 0.08 gal/lb grain absorption, then the max grain bill would be (14 gal - 12 gal) / 0.16 gal/lb = 12.5 lb. The strike volume would be 13.0 gal, the end of mash SG would be 1.0324 (only if you get 100% conversion efficiency), post boil volume would be 10.5 gal, and the OG would be 1.037. So full volume, 10 gal batches would be severely limited in a 15 gal kettle. Simulations done with my Mash and Lauter Simulator spreadsheet.

Brew on :mug:

Back