2nd Brew - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
Hi all--

Thanks for all the replies to my first post, I really appreciate it.

So i went over to my buddies tonight to help him with his first brew... I guess it was OUR 2nd brew, as he helped with my first too... anyway..

I was another kit, just trying to get experience. It is labeled a Euopean Bock, its by Brewers Best.

We thought we did everything right, but obivously could have made mistakes somewhere. The OG according to the recipe and directions was supposed to be 1.060-1.065. We took our OG reading after the wort cooled to 72 and the reading was 1.083.

Can someone shed some light on what potential causes of a higher then normal OG might mean so we can try to avoid those mistakes in the future? Thanks

MNBugeater

did u guy's take the reading prior to topping up w/ water to get the 5 gallons, or did u not need to add water?

The wort will be more dense in you have not added the remaining couple of gallon to the fermenting bucket. When did you take the OG reading using the hydrometer?

Higher o.g with fermentable sugars = higher alcohol content in your final product.

Higher o.g. with unfermentable sugars = very sweet tasting final product.

hth, loop

loopmd said:
Higher o.g with fermentable sugars = higher alcohol content in your final product.

Higher o.g. with unfermentable sugars = very sweet tasting final product.

hth, loop

Ok, thanks thats kinda what I was wondering, was what would the end result be. Are there any obvious things that I could have done to cause this ? Boil the wort to hot and get too much evaporation ? Could you add more water to get the OG in the range it should be ?

There are many variables that come into play when taking hydrometer readings. I think that is why a lot of us on here either do not use hydrometers or not worry too much about them. The readings on your scale are for 60 degrees f. You measured yours at 72, looking that up on a table, you gain one more point for the temp differance.

I use Brewers Best kit's pretty regularly and they are pretty much right on the money (at least in the range given)...so some things to consider why you were off...

didn't read the guage correctly
didn't actually have a 5 gallon batch
didn't mix up enough when topping off to 5 gallons

I don't think you should be too concerned. I am sure you will enjoy how your beer turns out.

Like I said before, I use many Brewers Best kits. I actually shoot for higher o.g.'s by adding more dme to the kits as well as honey. They turn out awesome.

loop

Back