Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a great plan to get started early on brew day with 4 1/2 gallons of strike water in the kettle on the stove the night before. Then the next morning, still half asleep, turn on the wrong burner. Discover error 30 minutes later. Don't do that.

Hold down the piece of trim you are nailing with your hand on the wrong side of the nail gun. I punched a 2" finishing nail through my finger today. Nail skipped off the trim and went into my finger right below the knuckle and came out right above my fingernail, right through the bone! Finally got it pulled out of the bone, and man it hurt!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

I had the brilliant idea to "squeege" out the inside of a diptube with a chunk of paper towel and an unfolded coat hanger. I got it maybe 6 inches into the diptube before the paper towel chunk bunched up and became stuck. Then I finally realized this was a stupid endeavor and decided to push it back out from the other side. Nope. Just jammed it in there worse.

Don't Do that! Seriously, don't do it.

Hold down the piece of trim you are nailing with your hand on the wrong side of the nail gun. I punched a 2" finishing nail through my finger today. Nail skipped off the trim and went into my finger right below the knuckle and came out right above my fingernail, right through the bone! Finally got it pulled out of the bone, and man it hurt!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

I hate it when that happens.

I had the brilliant idea to "squeege" out the inside of a diptube with a chunk of paper towel and an unfolded coat hanger. I got it maybe 6 inches into the diptube before the paper towel chunk bunched up and became stuck. Then I finally realized this was a stupid endeavor and decided to push it back out from the other side. Nope. Just jammed it in there worse.

Don't Do that! Seriously, don't do it.

Brilliant! How did you get it out?

What actually works better is a 3' long 3/8" draw brush. Or, if you're really into squeegeeing, a narrow wad of cloth tied to a string (actually 2 strings, each tied to an end) and pull back and forth. The coat hanger comes in handy again to pull the string through, or use an electrical fishing tape.

Brilliant! How did you get it out?

What actually works better is a 3' long 3/8" draw brush. Or, if you're really into squeegeeing, a narrow wad of cloth tied to a string (actually 2 strings, each tied to an end) and pull back and forth. The coat hanger comes in handy again to pull the string through, or use an electrical fishing tape.

I havent. Yet. I think it would have worked fine had I used 1/3 the amount of paper towel I did. Going to have to figure out how to get it out as the keg is temporarily out of circulation until I can un-stuck it.

Soak the paper towel with water that should soften it up so you can get it out in pieces. Don't do that again.

Well, since it isn't all brew related...

Filling up a 2 liter soda bottle with gasoline, placing it on a bench in front of a bonfire, then standing about 30 yards away and shooting it with a .45acp. Don't do that.

[Edit to add- and I was old enough to know better]

Gotta know what happened or I'll have to try it myself:D

Unfortunately no dice. been soaking for weeks. Its in there like a hamster in Richard Gere.

You could try putting the diptube in place on the keg, hooking gas up to the liquid out post, and cranking up the pressure (within safe reason) to push it out into the keg. ?

You could try putting the diptube in place on the keg, hooking gas up to the liquid out post, and cranking up the pressure (within safe reason) to push it out into the keg. ?

^^^ good idea. Kegs are rated to like 135 psi. Just connect the co2 tank to the liquid side and shoot that plug out. Don't close the keg. Should shoot it right out. Probably better luck dry than wet.

Another idea would be to hit it with a propane torch where the plug is at and burn it up.

Put a 2L starter on the stir plate only to notice 24 hours later that your stir bar is still held firmly to the side of the flask with a hard drive magnet. Don't do that....

Really. I mean it this time. Really REALLY. I will be *ABLE* to boil 4+ gallons in a 4.65 gallon pot. I can *DO* this!
IMG_0299.JPG

Don't do that. You really can't do that.
IMG_0296.JPG

Really. I mean it this time. Really REALLY. I will be *ABLE* to boil 4+ gallons in a 4.65 gallon pot. I can *DO* this!
View attachment 302787

Don't do that. You really can't do that.
View attachment 302786

I don't even understand what is going on there.... What happened to the pot? It looks shredded?
(I often put 13.5 gal in a 15 pot)

I don't even understand what is going on there.... What happened to the pot? It looks shredded?

It's a shroud around the kettle to improve heating efficiency.

Yes; exactly. Although instead of the word "shroud", you *could* call it "That which will inexorably flash weld hop/wort-bits as a black irremovable tar to the inside edge of the boil kettle"

Expect to paint a deck in a few hours, and take care of brewing related things (racking a brett beer, tidying up, etc) after.

...8 hours later, I can safely say, don't do that. Working over your head all day isn't kind to one's body. Still haven't finished the damn thing.

Time for a beer though. Definitely do that :mug:

Try to do an ass to grass squat on the last rep of the last set of the max weight you've ever lifted at that rep range before. Especially without a spotter capable of assisting with that amount of weight. Yeah, don't do that.

Borrowed a buddy's wort chiller, didn't tighten the clamps over the vinyl tubing. Hooked it up to the outside tap, right underneath my living room window, ran the tubing inside through the window,set the kettle on one of my stereo speakers, turned on the water, and went into the kitchen. A minute later, came back into the living to discover the intake tubing had slipped off the copper, and was spraying water around my living room, onto my stereo, and into the kettle. Brought the wort back to a boil to sterilize, messing up my hop additions. DON'T DO THAT

Heating my mash tun (plastic cooler) with some boiling water. Time to pour out the still 200°+ water before mashing in and decided to tip the cooler onto its side instead of tossing the water down the driveway. I was wearing sandals.

A significant portion of the water splashed to the side of the cooler, right on one of my feet. Thankfully I only suffered some minor reddening of the skin and a little tenderness.

DON'T DO THAT.

Back