TN/Northern GA/Southern KY - Hop Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just added a few to finish a couple sacks. I'll add some more if need be to get this done. Any idea when were rappin this up?

The paperwork has been submitted to establish an account. Our contract guy has what we are looking for, I think, and we should here from him soon. I would expect that some hops might not be available, if that happens I will update everybody and then let them move on some other varieties.

The following is what was submitted to Hop Union for future contracting. Thoughts?

2012 crop

33# Citra
33# Simcoe
33# Amarillo
22# Centennials
11# Cascades
11# Sorachi Ace
11# Nelson Sauvin
11# NZ Motueka
11# Falconer's Flight IPA
11# Columbus
UK East Kent Goldings

11# Citra
11# Simcoe
11# Cascades
11# Sorachai Ace
11# UK Fuggels
11# Centennials
11# Amarillo
11# Columbus

Interesting.... From what I read these are safe bets for contracts if they haven't allready been bought up. I think as a group though we are going to be in for a sticker shock on some of the lower IBU aroma hops (not contracted) next year. But as long as we can keep a good relationship with this supplier we should be better off than the average brewer buying from thier LHBS.
On a side note there are several new / up and comming, hop farms in Western NC. The NC state Ag. office is putting some effort into getting the business started there. I have no idea on pricing or products out on the market, but given thier proximity it maybe something we look at, to hedge our long term bets by supporting them & getting in on the ground floor.

Interesting.... From what I read these are safe bets for contracts if they haven't allready been bought up. I think as a group though we are going to be in for a sticker shock on some of the lower IBU aroma hops (not contracted) next year. But as long as we can keep a good relationship with this supplier we should be better off than the average brewer buying from thier LHBS.
On a side note there are several new / up and comming, hop farms in Western NC. The NC state Ag. office is putting some effort into getting the business started there. I have no idea on pricing or products out on the market, but given thier proximity it maybe something we look at, to hedge our long term bets by supporting them & getting in on the ground floor.

What hops in your opinion should be add to our contract? Any idea how we can contact these NC Hop Farms?

No Hallertau or tettnanger?
How's the quite going?

I didn't want to tie us into a bunch of different varieties. I picked hops that were on the spreadsheet and that seemed to be in high demand. I also picked a couple of hops I wanted, it is my debit card on file with the contracts. We can add more contracts, I just need some more input from the group.

Looks pretty good to me. I like the Nelson and Motueka being on there. Could be useful to have a good, clean bittering hop on there like Magnum or Galena. Maybe Nugget. Could add a Willamette or Mt Hood; something more useful for the non APA or IPA brewers.

Educate me on this - when exactly would these contract hops be coming in? This time next year? I'm ignorant on hop harvesting seasons....

Looks pretty good to me. I like the Nelson and Motueka being on there. Could be useful to have a good, clean bittering hop on there like Magnum or Galena. Maybe Nugget. Could add a Willamette or Mt Hood; something more useful for the non APA or IPA brewers.

Educate me on this - when exactly would these contract hops be coming in? This time next year? I'm ignorant on hop harvesting seasons....

I didn't want to add too many hops to contracts, considering how much each of us is buying on this current buy. The contract for 2012 & 2013 would be delivered in 2013 & 2014. We don't have to take delivery of the hops all at one time. We can take some throughout the year or all at one time, which would probably be best due to the folks who have to drive to get the hops.

I don't do IPA's or APA's either so if we want to add some low %AA I would be all for it, I just don't want too much exposure.

Yea, I think my eyes are bigger than my...mash tun on this current buy. I just picked up a pound each of Amarillo, Sorachi, Centennial and Falconer's Flight and I'm down for 17 more pounds on the group buy :drunk: I'll probably be good for a couple years! Got the vacuum sealer this weekend so I should be good to go.

How do you guys store your hops? Regular foodsaver bags, Mason Jars, or Mylar bags?

What hops in your opinion should be add to our contract? Any idea how we can contact these NC Hop Farms?

Maybe a Willamette or maybe Tettang. With them grubbing up 20-25% of the current fields of Willamette probably see a major price increase. I am sure even a 20% increase wont hurt us that much since the volume is low and group usage is also small.

But all in all I am happy with what we have. When I did my price analysis on LHBS vs Group Buy 8 out of the 12 hops I am in for, have a LHBS/GB ratio over 3.2 and couple above 4.0. :mug:

Just started some research on the NC farms. I'll pass the Info along to you as I get more details

I am fine with the 2012 but the 2013 maybe up the citra simcoe ans amarillo to 22# each. I myself would have no problem using almost 2#s of amarillo a yr.

All this talk about the next couple of years. What about now? Excuse me if I missed the answer but where are we with the current order?

Got this e-mail today.

The request for a quote has been submitted to the main office and is being processed at this time. I will send it to your for signature as soon as I get it back. Please know that not all hops are done being pelletized and can take a couple of months to get them all done. Also, remember that you are only invoiced/billed as you take your hops box by box. With the holiday this week your quote will most likely be to your next Monday.

Got this e-mail today.

The request for a quote has been submitted to the main office and is being processed at this time. I will send it to your for signature as soon as I get it back. Please know that not all hops are done being pelletized and can take a couple of months to get them all done. Also, remember that you are only invoiced/billed as you take your hops box by box. With the holiday this week your quote will most likely be to your next Monday.

A couple months? I don't know about others here, but I was expecting with the other company to have these things next week. Did we kill that deal already?

I would like a ETA for these hops so I can pick up enough to get me until that date during some upcoming black friday deals.

The e-mail message I posted doesn't mean that we are going to go with this vendor for the current buy. If they don't have any varieties to buy we will go with the farmer who sold to us last time. There is no estimate as to when we will receive the hops, I would hope before Christmas but I make no guarantees. This buy is about saving money by buying in bulk and we have to see this process through. When dealing with big companies it can take awhile to get the information back. We do have to remember that a lot of companies have long turn around times during this period. A lot of vendors are only allowing a pound to be bought at a time, just be patient and we will be rewarded. If you are in the Nashville area and need some hops right now, just let me know what you might need. I will see if I have some in my freezer. I will sell them to you for the low price that I got them for with our last buy in May.

I'm not saying I don't want to go with them necessarily, just that I would like to know if it really with be a couple of months like they said in the email.

They say they bill us "box by box", what does that mean? Excuse my ignorance, but I assumed from the farmer from last time sold a pallet of hops that was delivered all at once. How is delivery set up with this new farm? If they have certain hops in pellet form and ready to go, can they ship them to us or do they wait until there is a full pallet before shipping?

We can choose how we take the hops. The gentleman who sent the email is a salesman, he doesn't work in the processing plant. He is just saying that not all of the hops may be available right away. We will just have to wait and see. Buy enough hops for 3 batches and that should get you by for now.

thats the price to pay for 2011 crop vs the already old 2010 crop.... something to think about. I do remeber it being around January when I got all pellets from hops direct in 2010 for the 2009 crop.

After seeing Niko sell his Citra hops for 30 a pound I'm thinking about buying massive quantities of hops and selling them.

$30 a pound? That's crazy! stay tuned till this hop shipment comes through and I'll hook you up. Cascades for only $1 an ounce! Magnum for $1.25 an ounce! I'm just barely breaking even on these CCRRAAAZZZYYYYY deals! Pre-Order now!! :ban:

$30 a pound? That's crazy! stay tuned till this hop shipment comes through and I'll hook you up. Cascades for only $1 an ounce! Magnum for $1.25 an ounce! I'm just barely breaking even on these CCRRAAAZZZYYYYY deals! Pre-Order now!! :ban:

You didn't see that thread in the black friday section? 30 a pound on sale! A bunch of people posted how ridiculous the prices were then they magically all disappeared and the last thread post was from Niko saying he'd sold out. lol

theveganbrewer said:
You didn't see that thread in the black friday section? 30 a pound on sale! A bunch of people posted how ridiculous the prices were then they magically all disappeared and the last thread post was from Niko saying he'd sold out. lol

I know Bobby did. Lol

Bobby wanted me to send this out since he is currently "unavailable". He is going to be placing an order through labelpeelers.com on Tuesday a.m. If anyone is interested in combining an order, post it here and let him know. They have ahtanum, sorachi, amarillo, among others still available. Also, decided if you want whole or pellet.

I'm in on a pound (pellet) of Motueka and Warrior. I'm fine with splitting those with someone if interested.

I ordered a few pounds from them just a few weeks ago. Great to deal with. They have a "live chat" feature on the homepage that I tried late on a Sunday night, sure enough the owner of the shop got on and answered some questions for me.

You can get 10% off by using "firstorder10%" as a discount coupon, presuming it's your first order on an account.

So Bobby, lied...he's not waiting until tomorrow a.m. to place the order. He is placing it now, so if anyone needs to add to it then contact him directly.

Sorry for lying guys, but I didn't want to lose out on any of the Amarillo and the Ahtanum, oh and the Sorachai Ace as well. The first order has been placed.

I will pm out payment information to Brad, Marc, and Jim.

I did buy a couple extra pounds of Amarillo pellets, let me know guys. It looks like all the hops we requested will be available, just waiting to find out when they will be available for us to take delivery of.

Jim 2#
Jason 2#
Bobby 2#
Billy 1#
Justin #1
Marc 1#
Steve 1#

We still have 1# of Amarillo not spoke for, first come first served.

Latest posts

Back