unpleasant grassy flavor from dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i dryhopped 5gallons of APA with 2oz of cascade. its 10-12 days. i'm getting a very unpleasant grassy flavor. aroma isn't bad. anyone else experienced this before? should i expect it to subside over time or am i dumping this one?

NO DUMPING. Folks are so quick to dump.
Just to clarify what you are saying...it's been dry hopping for 10 - 12 days, or it's 10 - 12 days SINCE you've dry hopped and then bottled/kegged?

dumping it, over a little bit of grassy flavor?! people eat salad all the time and it tastes grassy (at least to me)...

hops sometimes taste grassy. not what you normally get from cascade, but who knows... maybe they were old?

dryhopping should provide namely aroma too, so the grassy flavor might very well be from something else...

I've had grassy flavors from dry hopping. Much worse in a case of wet hopping, with fresh hops. The flavors fade away.

Taken from this site: http://www.hordsoffun.com/bjcp/vocab/

-grass·y
adjective

-freshly cut lawn: having an aroma and/or flavor of freshly cut lawn or field grasses, without any spoilage, mustiness or earthy undertones. Commonly found when a lot of hops are used.

-Brewers Control (how to change)
Use less dry hops or kettle hops (usually derived from dry hop). The grassy flavor is strongest just after dry hopping will settle out down after a few days. It is less noticeable in bolder beers. Change hop variety.

-Sources of...
Dry hops and excessive kettle hops.

-Acceptable in these styles
IPA

It will also be worse in the fermenter because it's sitting on all the plant matter. After you rack it off the trub it will lessen. Give it time in the bottle.

Kilted Brewer said:
NO DUMPING. Folks are so quick to dump.
Just to clarify what you are saying...it's been dry hopping for 10 - 12 days, or it's 10 - 12 days SINCE you've dry hopped and then bottled/kegged?

I'm not quick to dump, i've just never tasted anything like that and this isn't my first time dryhopping by far. it's been in a keg WITH dry hops for 10-12 days, to clarify.

DeathBrewer said:
cascade = grassy. it'll subdue a bit in time. don't dump it

before i posted i read the hops descriptions pages and didn't find one that called cascade grassy, which is why i was a little concerned.

the last time i dumped a batch i drank most of it anyway :tank:

Back