Spicing up EdWort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinAndCoffee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was thinking about starting up some apfelwein - figuring it'd be good to have during the month of December. BUT! I wanted to add some holiday spice to it in a nod to the holiday season.

I haven't dealt with spices in any brews before, so I was wondering if you guys would have some suggestions. I really want the apfelwein to still be drinkable, so it can't be too spicy (a la Harpoon's Winter Warmer - blech!)

Thanks!

I remember reading that some people make it as normal, but when it comes to serving time, they put some in a pot, add a cinnamon stick, sugar, and maybe a few other holiday spices, simmer it, and serve it warm like spiced cider.

Mulled drinks are awesome around the holiday time. My favorite is with red wine, you add some nuts, some raisins and some spices. Great drink for when it's cold out.

My plan is to add a cinomon stick to the carboy for a week or so once it is clear.

1 or 2 cinnamon sticks plus about four or five whole cloves and a touch of brown sugar per 2 12oz bottles of brewed apfelwein works out great; warm it up, strain it out and enjoy. Be careful not to simmer tho unless you want to say bye bye to all the alcohol goodness (unless of course that's what you want - but why would you).

KB

Back