Forgot to make tinctures ... fastest way to prep to add spices to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seilenos

Reaction score
It wasn't as much "forgot" as kept pushing it off.

I just started cold crashing my winter warmer in prep for kegging and realized I need to finally deal with the spices.

It is a 5 gallon batch and I am supposed to add a quarter teaspoon each of clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

I was considering boiling water for a bit to drive off DO and then use my french press to steep the spices for 15 min in 4 or 8 oz before adding them to the keg just before racking.

I'm also supposed to add 4 oz of pomegranate juice at that time, too, so I didn't know if it would be better to use that in some way as part of this process (eg, warm it up (but not to boiling) and use it to steep).

So, take this with a grain of salt because I only just started brewing this year, but I kegged a gingerbread stout a few weeks ago and added spices to the priming sugar boil.

I did a tincture but decided I needed more spice flavor when preparing to keg so I added a bit more in the priming sugar. I read conflicting opinions on the subject (no surprise) but I think it worked out well enough for me. If I did it over again I might have aged it longer to allow the spices to seep in more thoroughly, but the flavor was better than after the initial tincture taste.

I decided to do a "cold brew" of sorts and let the spices soak in 6 oz of pomegranate juice in the fridge for two days before being strained and adding 4 oz to the keg prior to racking. The 2 oz left behind were to keep the spices that settled in the jar out of the keg.

A little less than a day after racking and sitting on 30 psi has resulted in something that is quite promising. It has a little bit of sharpness which I am hoping will settle/age out.

Back