Hot Break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, you have a really good rolling boil.

Second, after the foam has subsided, your wort has threads floating around similar to that of egg drop soup (maybe with Soy Sauce added)

And finally, after you have drained the kettle, you have what looks like water logged cat barf mixed with hop bits.

First, you have a really good rolling boil.

Second, after the foam has subsided, your wort has threads floating around similar to that of egg drop soup (maybe with Soy Sauce added)

And finally, after you have drained the kettle, you have what looks like water logged cat barf mixed with hop bits.

That has to be hands down the best description of hot break that I have ever heard! :ban::ban::ban:

Do any of you suggest skimming the threads that are floating around like egg drop soup out of the wort, or does it not matter?

I don't know about cat barf, but a rolling boil with no foam is a pretty good indicator.

Tom

You won't see nearly as much of a hot break if you're brewing with extract. Many of the break materials (proteins) are removed during the manufacturing process. I was amazed at the difference during my first few AG batches; you get SOME when doing extract, but not nearly as much. Stronger boil generally means bigger hot break, as well.

Back