Fermzilla allrounder and blowtie 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBrewer306

Reaction score
Hi all. Want to start my first pressurized fermentation, but I don't want a CO2 bomb mess.

I have the posts. I can connect the blowtie, but how do I know it's working and not going to over pressurize? What's psi should I use, and how do I measure? Do you guys inject co2, or just let the ferment do its work?

Thanks all

I leave the spunding valve wide open for the first 1-2 days. Just after high krausen, I tighten it a bit and wait overnight to see what PSI it hits (usually somewhere around 5 PSI). You can then either tighten it a bit more to get to 10 PSI, but I usually stick between 5 and 10.

You will know it's working if the PSI gauge moves to certain point but then stays there (confirming it is holding pressure) but you can then smell the fermentation gas coming out the end (confirming it is only holding pressure to a certain level). And if the gauge goes up but you are worried it's holding too much pressure, just slowly loosen it until you hear small amount of air releasing out.

And good choice on the all-rounder. I think it is best combination of fun & function for home brewing. Definitely fun to watch your soon-to-be-beer turn into a giant snow globe for a few days.

Last edited:
I leave the spunding valve wide open for the first 1-2 days. Just after high krausen, I tighten it a bit and wait overnight to see what PSI it hits (usually somewhere around 5 PSI). You can then either tighten it a bit more to get to 10 PSI, but I usually stick between 5 and 10.

You will know it's working if the PSI gauge moves to certain point but then stays there (confirming it is holding pressure) but you can then smell the fermentation gas coming out the end (confirming it is only holding pressure to a certain level). And if the gauge goes up but you are worried it's holding too much pressure, just slowly loosen it until you heat small amount of air releasing out.

And good choice on the all-rounder. I think it is best combination of fun & function for home brewing. Definitely fun to watch your soon-to-be-beer turn into a giant snow globe for a few days.
I'm loving it. Have my first beer in 25 years kegged, waiting for it to clear and I think illl basically rack it to another keg soon. Thanks for the tip, I'm doing that now. This is my second batch, just doing wort in a bag systems at the moment. Ill definitely go all grain when budget allows. I'm thinking of the largest anvil system. A lot of beer gets drank here. I give a ton away to friends and family... having a ball.

Some things to consider when looking at pressure fermentation. What yeast are you using? Ale yeasts typically do not do great under pressure, at least during primary. Lager yeasts, however, seem to do very well under pressure from the getgo. If an ale yeast, I would suggest leaving the valve wide open (blowties are one-way valves, nothing is going to get in there) until the krausen has fallen, wait a day, then do what @GoodTruble said and turn the valve until you have steady pressure about 5-10psi. The yeast should still be producing co2 at that point, just not as much as during primary. Then leave it another 5-6 days, and test it. I've had my fermzilla (with the pressure kit) for about 2 months now, and I'm still dialling it in.

The one benefit of pressure fermentation that seems to attract many homebrewers (including myself) is the ability to have drinkable beer faster than more traditional fermentations; but the yeast still need to go through the entire process, from primary to cleanup of the byproducts of fermentation (acetaldehyde, esters, etc). Too much pressure, and the yeast can go dormant too fast; leaving sweet/tangy/unfinished beer. Too little, and you're still waiting three weeks to taste your creation. It's a learning process.

Some things to consider when looking at pressure fermentation. What yeast are you using? Ale yeasts typically do not do great under pressure, at least during primary. Lager yeasts, however, seem to do very well under pressure from the getgo. If an ale yeast, I would suggest leaving the valve wide open (blowties are one-way valves, nothing is going to get in there) until the krausen has fallen, wait a day, then do what @GoodTruble said and turn the valve until you have steady pressure about 5-10psi. The yeast should still be producing co2 at that point, just not as much as during primary. Then leave it another 5-6 days, and test it. I've had my fermzilla (with the pressure kit) for about 2 months now, and I'm still dialling it in.

The one benefit of pressure fermentation that seems to attract many homebrewers (including myself) is the ability to have drinkable beer faster than more traditional fermentations; but the yeast still need to go through the entire process, from primary to cleanup of the byproducts of fermentation (acetaldehyde, esters, etc). Too much pressure, and the yeast can go dormant too fast; leaving sweet/tangy/unfinished beer. Too little, and you're still waiting three weeks to taste your creation. It's a learning process.

Thanks for the tips. I'm using

Lallemand Novalager Lager. Sorry for the font, pasted from my homebrew store website.​

I like to spund to 5-10 psi so I can cold crash without having to worry about the suck-back.
I just checked on it and was able to set it to 5. I'll start there. Thanks for the tips, I'm excited to get back into the hobby. Things have sure changed!!!

Thanks for the tips. I'm using

Lallemand Novalager Lager. Sorry for the font, pasted from my homebrew store website.​

I just checked on it and was able to set it to 5. I'll start there. Thanks for the tips, I'm excited to get back into the hobby. Things have sure changed!!!
I'm currently sipping on a pressure-fermented pseudo lager I fermented on Novalager; mainly because I was out of other lager yeast. It's not as crisp as one fermented on 34/70 or Diamond, but it's good. I did this one at 10psi, and it cleaned up very well. Just needs some more conditioning time, like another week.

I'm currently sipping on a pressure-fermented pseudo lager I fermented on Novalager; mainly because I was out of other lager yeast. It's not as crisp as one fermented on 34/70 or Diamond, but it's good. I did this one at 10psi, and it cleaned up very well. Just needs some more conditioning time, like another week.
Mine is coming along. It's in the fridge now for a few days, waiting for carbonation. It's got an interesting citrus backend flavour. I think it's going to be a success.

Latest posts

Back