What to do with leftovers (ie grain husks etc) after malting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacto

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just carried out a successful malting of wheat! So, what can I do (besides feeding my chickens or compost heap) with the bag of high fibre leftovers of wheat? It is supposed to be very nutritious. Anyone have any innovative ideas as to what can be made? Granola bars? extra wholemeal bread? porridge? some kind of purée? Another drink - either alcoholic or horlicks like? ... How about vegeburgers _ a mixture of the wheat bits plus the pulp I get from sugar beet ... now, for me, that sounds great - especially with a bit of hot chilli ...

Or, how about wheat bits (I don't know whether they are the same as bran -I think not) mixed with local walnuts, plus boletes from the woods - for a robust nut loaf ...?

Last edited:
I use my leftover grain to make treats for my 3 large dogs. Grain, flour, peanut butter, and eggs. No reason people couldn't eat them too. Make them into cookies, bake, and easy healthy snacks for you or your dog.

I use my leftover grain to make treats for my 3 large dogs. Grain, flour, peanut butter, and eggs. No reason people couldn't eat them too. Make them into cookies, bake, and easy healthy snacks for you or your dog.
Woof woof ... yes please, sounds great - you must have strong healthy dogs that love you! Mmm, peanut butter and eggs? There are no peanuts around here, but the filberts are coming on great - sounds like a filbert butter making session coming on ...

Mine goes in the compost pile. As does the trub and stuff left in the FV.

Livestock will like it. And you could use it in your own cookies and other such stuff. Some websites have recipes for treats made with your leftover malts.

Just carried out a successful malting of wheat! So, what can I do (besides feeding my chickens or compost heap) with the bag of high fibre leftovers of wheat?
You malted raw wheat to create brewers malt?
If wheat is threshed properly, there should only be berries (with no husk) and nothing else.
If you mean you used ground malted wheat in a mash to extract the sugars, then any of the above advice is good.

Oh, I reread this today. As I frequently do, I read it wrong or just didn't read and substituted my own imagination to make this about spent malts after the mash.

Still, the compost pile is appropriate. Not certain about using hulls and leftover stuff from the malting process in people food. Certainly wouldn't hurt, but might not be enjoyable if the hulls are still tough and won't chew.

Not certain about using hulls and leftover stuff from the malting process in people food. Certainly wouldn't hurt, but might not be enjoyable if the hulls are still tough and won't chew.
This is why I posed the question I did,.. wheat doesn’t have husks. (Before malting or after)

I’ve mixed some into sourdough bread. As mentioned above we make dog treats (above ingredients plus mashed banana). Sometimes compost. Sometimes a portion to the chickens (they absolutely love it). And sometimes I just spread it in the garden (usually winter time) as the quail and the pukeko love to eat it.

Spent grain bars are great. I especially like making them out of grain that includes some roasted barley and flaked barley. Add molasses and honey and you won’t be disappointed. Raisins, coconut, pecans sunflower seeds; whatever you have and like. I like my dog, but he ain’t gonna know these ever existed! 🤣

Mine either go in my compost bin or into baking bread. Many recipes don't use a lot of the spent grain, but it's a great way to convert some of it into some tasty loaves!

Back