Clumpy Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_bkk

Reaction score
Hello all,
Being in Bangkok extract is not really available but malt, hops and yeast are, so I tried my first all grain SMaSH. I have a very clumpy krausen 24 hours after pitching the yeast. The yeast took off and I have lots of airlock activity but the krausen looks like the photo. I didn't get any hot break when I boiled the wort and I also added whirlfloc at the end of the boil. Anyone please shed some light on what this may be or why this is happening. Is it ruined?
20230709_123229.jpg

Thanks for your help,
M

Thanks for rhe feedback. I used Mangrove Jack's M41 yeast for this, and pale 2 row, with Nelson Sauvin hops. Just a simple SMaSH I found online.

I will let you all know. I brewed 2 kits from Mr. Beer that I brought back from US. All Grain was so much more fun to brew. I am sure I need practice to improve my mash process and my boil but for the first one, I think I did pretty well OG is at the estimate from the recipe.
M

but the krausen looks like the photo. I didn'
and pale 2 row, with Nelson Sauvin hops. Just a simple SMaSH I found online.
Is the above photo the actual photo of your fermenter, or just a stock picture similar to your problem?
I know pictures of beer in fermenters can be considerably darker than what they’ll eventually look like in the glass, but the above image looks much darker/ brownish than one would expect from a 2-row SMASH.

It is an actual photo. I am wondering why it is so dark as well. I am using a bucket fermenter and so it is not truly clear. I have no idea why it would be this dark. I poured the wort from my boil through a strainer into the bucket to get lots of oxygen could I have ruined it somehow?

It is actually much lighter than the photo. When I shine a light through it. Since this is in a fridge with a temp controller the lighting is not that bright and using a light or flash for a photo didn't work. I think it is just the photo. At least I hope so. Lots of clumps have started to drop out and it is looking much better already. The yeast says 18 to 28 degrees C I am fermenting at 22 and it still seems to be going really fast.

Latest posts

Back