Keezer collar thickness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushump

Reaction score
Ok, I have been looking at hundreds of threads on keezer collars. I believe I am going with Bobby_M's collar attached to the lid. I would like to go with 6" board as I have seen some say it holds up fine. My question is do you go with 2 x 6 or 1x6. Or if I do decide to go to 4" do I use 2x4 or 1x4? Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Brandon:mug:

Myself, I would go with 2x? as it would leave some space for routing or inletting later. A nice routered edge with a brass inlay looks killer, and if you only have 1" of wood to work with, you have fewer options. Just my 2 cents.

I went with 3/4 " x 6" wide plywood strips(pics in my gallery), then added trim pieces from Lowes. It came out better than I thought it would considering the plywood was old concrete forms. I used the lid seal for measurements since I transferred the old seal to the collar. It's light weight so I don't need a stick to hold it open and if I was to do it again, the only change I would make would be to use a table saw instead of a skill saw.

I wanted a higher quality wood, so I bought some 1x4s (good ones and crappy pine ones) and glued them together with wood glue to make 2x4s. The good part was on the outside and the lower quality stuff was on the inside. You could probably get some wood screws that would penetrate about halfway through the second 1x4 (on the outside) and it would work fine.

You need several good clamps to make this work without screws. Even then pieces that are even slightly warped in the 4" direction make things a serious pain. Admittedly, this may not be the best method.

So if I would go with the 2x6 for a 7.2 CF collar on the lid, does anyone think that would cause a weight issue or I would still be ok with that?

Thanks

If you're going with 1.5" thick wood, I wouldn't try attaching to the lid or you'll need a prop to hold it up. Even mine with 1x4 poplar, it's just barely too heavy to stay up on its own.

Latest posts

Back