Cinnamon in the Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
Reading the July / Aug Zymurgy mag, Dear Professor section.

In response to a question, the Professor says he adds a tsp. of cinnamon to all his mashes. I read over his reply a couple of times and he states "cinnamon and other high tannin compounds... help reduce the oxidizing staling process" and seems less certain "that cinnamon or added complex tannins will help stabilize the hop character"

I thought tannins were to be avoided, so I don't quite get this.

Unlike BYO, there doesn't seem to be an online version.

Not sure what to make of this, but I guess I might try adding cinnamon to my next batch and see what happens. Anyone else do this?

I'd be too afraid to screw up the flavor. If you mash like everyone else does, there is no reason your beer will end up oxidized. Btw, didn't they finally debunk the hot side aeration recently anyway?

While I've never tried this, there's nothing magical abotu cinammon. It contains antioxidants. You could use vitamin C (ascorbic acid) more effectively because it contains just what you need and none of the flavor.

Not that I'd be concerned about 1 tbsp in 5 gallons of beer anyway.

Latest posts

Back