CellarScience Oxblox 3D - Dissolved Oxygen Reducer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any thoughts from the group on this new Cellar Science offering? It sounds like this is basically a mix of Brewtan-B, Ascorbic Acid and Metabisulfite. Or does Brewtan-B have other useful components not included? Does the price seem reasonable?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-oxblox-3d-dissolved-oxygen-reducer.html
Oxblox 3D is a specially formulated blend of gallotannins, ascorbic acid, and metabisulphite that is added to your strike water right before mash-in. It dissolves easily and is extremely useful to reduce oxidation during the mashing process. Through multiple actions, it reduces dissolved oxygen levels and helps inhibit the lipoxygenase enzyme found in malt that is infamous for causing downstream wet paper / cardboard flavors attributed by the (E)-2-nonenal compound.

Any thoughts if using a product like this by "a friend of mine" that does not take any other real steps to reduce hot side oxidation? I know there is a video from Genius Brewing claiming that a few grams of Ascorbic Acid in the mash does wonders. Can this product be used after fermentation reduce oxidation during packaging?

It looks like a well intended product and it will be great if used in concert with yeast oxygen scavenging to remove oxygen prior to it's addition, so it doesn't get burned up immediately and is allowed to provide it's available protection during the mash. Regardless, if even just used alone, it will be a good lead blocker if you are mashing quietly.

Sounds like the LODO "trifecta" of Brewtan B (gallotannins), ascorbic acid and metabisulfite, mixed together. Might be less hassle than weighing out the three ingredients individually.

I have been adding the trifecta to my mashes the past several years and I have noticed in improvement, namely, longer shelf-life. YMMV.

Sounds like the LODO "trifecta" of Brewtan B (gallotannins), ascorbic acid and metabisulfite, mixed together. Might be less hassle than weighing out the three ingredients individually.

I have been adding the trifecta to my mashes the past several years and I have noticed in improvement, namely, longer shelf-life. YMMV.
What would be the amounts to weigh out? I have been adding Ascorbic acid to the mash and sparge water and into the keg before packaging.
Usually 3g in a 25litre mash, 1g in an 8 litre sparge and 3g in the keg closed transfer purged starsan with ferment CO2.
Sodium metabisulphite just 0.5 g to get rid of chlorine in the brew water.

My ascorbic acid dose just a sort of guess really some real numbers would be great

What would be the amounts to weigh out? I have been adding Ascorbic acid to the mash and sparge water and into the keg before packaging.
Usually 3g in a 25litre mash, 1g in an 8 litre sparge and 3g in the keg closed transfer purged starsan with ferment CO2.
Sodium metabisulphite just 0.5 g to get rid of chlorine in the brew water.

My ascorbic acid dose just a sort of guess really some real numbers would be great

For mash, I have added the following amounts of each:
Brewtan B: 6.8g/hL (This is the maximum dosage recommended by the mfr.)
Sodium metabisulfite: 3-5g/hL (30-50 ppm)
Ascorbic acid: same amount as the metabisulfite, 3-5g/hL

Note that this dosage of ascorbic is quite a bit less than what you're using. I don't know what maximum dosage you can use before it becomes detrimental.
When you add sodium metabisulfite to the mash be sure to factor the Na and SO4 contribution in your water calcs.

For mash, I have added the following amounts of each:
Brewtan B: 6.8g/hL (This is the maximum dosage recommended by the mfr.)
Sodium metabisulfite: 3-5g/hL (30-50 ppm)
Ascorbic acid: same amount as the metabisulfite, 3-5g/hL

Note that this dosage of ascorbic is quite a bit less than what you're using. I don't know what maximum dosage you can use before it becomes detrimental.
When you add sodium metabisulfite to the mash be sure to factor the Na and SO4 contribution in your water calcs.
Thanks looks like I can dial back my dosing. Brewfather does account for the Na and SO4 in my water calc.
I can't find a source of brewtan b here in NZ not sure if the addition of tannic acid which I can get would " homebrew " the correct ratio.

Thanks looks like I can dial back my dosing. Brewfather does account for the Na and SO4 in my water calc.
I can't find a source of brewtan b here in NZ not sure if the addition of tannic acid which I can get would " homebrew " the correct ratio.

The gallotannins in Brewtan B are not the same as tannic acid.

Brewtan B is available in Australia. Is that a viable option to have sent to NZ?

Sometimes biosecurity an issue in the post.
Expect I can put some in the suitcase on a trip there, or get the wife to put some in her suitcase on the way back from UK.

Over in the hot side oxygen thread there's a mention of a similar product, called Oxblox (basically the LODO trifecta ingredients rolled into one).

Are there any thoughts from the group on this new Cellar Science offering? It sounds like this is basically a mix of Brewtan-B, Ascorbic Acid and Metabisulfite. Or does Brewtan-B have other useful components not included? Does the price seem reasonable?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-oxblox-3d-dissolved-oxygen-reducer.html

Any thoughts if using a product like this by "a friend of mine" that does not take any other real steps to reduce hot side oxidation? I know there is a video from Genius Brewing claiming that a few grams of Ascorbic Acid in the mash does wonders. Can this product be used after fermentation reduce oxidation during packaging?
I agree with Red & White. It is good to see an "official" product for low oxygen brewing, but it needs to go along with de-aerated strike water so the dosage amount works as intended. Taking the O2 out of your strike water is more important than using this trifecta. Once you do that, then you can target the negative flavor interactions that take place at dough in.

Previously, there was already a product like that that BSG had in their portfolio for commercial breweries called Antioxin-SBT. It's easy enough to mix your own, but it's nice that this is a viable option now.

Back