Help! Keezer collar height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbhy

Reaction score
Hello all, Just picked up a 7.2 cubic foot freezer for my keezer build. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out just how big to build my collar. From the top of the hump to the lid measures 19". How big does my collar need to be to accommodate standard ball lack kegs and the fittings? I've been looking around on this site and some threads say 26" is the bare minimum, so could I get away with an 8" (7 and 5/8" actual) collar? Or should I just opt for a 10" board just to be safe? image-1900726342.jpg image-1922067589.jpg Thank you!

I have virtually the same freezer with a 2x6 collar, kegs fit fine. If you want to store one on the hump you would need a 10" collar.

Do you think I could get away with a 1 x 10 board for the collar or should i try to find something wider?

A flat 26" total will comfortably fit a genuine ball lock keg with the standard plastic QDs and tubing attached. If you have 19" on top of the hump, a x8 collar will give you at least 26.5". I'd go with 2x8s myself...

Cheers!

I have the same freezer and used a 2x6 collar.

That helps a ton, thanks. I would love to see any photos you might have of your setup.

I picked up a 1x10 board today and some foamboard, but I'm still trying to decide whether or not to use it. I suppose I can always return it and get something a bit wider.

In any case, how did you deal with the 1/8" lip around the edge of the freezer? did you just attach the collar inside of it?

A flat 26" total will comfortably fit a genuine ball lock keg with the standard plastic QDs and tubing attached. If you have 19" on top of the hump, a x8 collar will give you at least 26.5". I'd go with 2x8s myself...

Cheers!

^^ This is good info thanks.

The 2 inch wide boards fill more surface area on the top of my freezer, but I already picked up a 1x10 piece of pine today at HD. I've seen a couple builds with the one inch wood, namely this one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-build-cedar-collar-415093/ . I'm thinking the foamboard I bought could add another .75" to the total width of my collar and compensate for any surface area the freezer lid seal might not be touching on the wood.

You can get away with a smaller collar if you just use pin locks for the hump. Chicompany sells short pin lock connectors as well to save even more space, or you could just convert the pin locks to ball lock.

Back