Extract at boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worty

Reaction score
I wasn't thinking and added the extract for my apple ale during the boil instead of at bottling. I didn't read ahead and added it when the directions called for adding apple juice if that's what you're using. Am I screwed? Is there anything I can do to help it?

I wasn't thinking and added the extract for my apple ale during the boil instead of at bottling. I didn't read ahead and added it when the directions called for adding apple juice if that's what you're using. Am I screwed? Is there anything I can do to help it?

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. Could you explain what you mean about bottling and boiling? Are you adding apple juice at bottling?

You could use either extract or apple juice. I used extract.
I added the extract at the boil instead of at bottling.

ie, it was supposed to be for carbonation. Well, now it's just some more alcohol in the product. For carbonation you will need to add something else - either more extract, or juice - after the ferment is complete, and immediately before (like minutes before) bottling.

This is referred to as priming sugar (helps us know what you are talking about) - aside from malt extract or juice, you can also use corn sugar (dextrose), maple syrup, honey, and even cane sugar, though that's low on the totem pole.

I think that the amount of sugar that would be listed on a recipe for priming wouldn't make much of a difference added at boil. Hardly a drop in the bucket compared to all the fermentables in there. Just hafta get some more for bottling now.

Are you talking about apple extract for flavoring? If you added the apple flavoring extract during the boil, the flavor may have mostly boiled off...

I used apple wine flavoring that came with the kit 10 minutes before the end of the boil. Sounds like it can be saved.

I think you'll be fine, but from what I understand you will have less of the apple flavor you are trying to get in the end product. I think the yeast will eat the apple juice during fermentation. I would imagine you can add the same amount of apple extract that was originally called for right before bottling and be alright, but I hope someone who has actually made a brew like this should also chime in and help you out. "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. It'll still be good because YOU made it!" -CP

Back