Forgot hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SattMephen00

Reaction score
As the title says, forgot to add hops to boil. I’m thinking about doing a hop tea and adding it to the fermenters but I’m not sure what ratios to do for the tea.

I’ve got around 10 gal of wort split between two fermenters and the recipe I followed called for 2oz of east Kent goldings for the whole batch. I’m thinking about boiling 2oz in around 2qts of wort for a half hour and just splitting it up between the two fermenters. Anything wrong with this? Any help would be appreciated.

this is a good video about adding hop tea. but these assume you didn't forget the hop additions in the boil. i imagine you could increase the hops in these hop teas to account for the forgotten additions. but i think it will be tough and need trial and error. make a tea and add it too a small amount of beer and scale up for the 10 gallons. one thing though beer without hops is very hard to compare to what beer should taste like. it will be even harder with unfermented wort. so it may be hard to figure out how much hop tea to add and how bitter it needs to be. the video i linked may help. good luck

I’m thinking about boiling 2oz in around 2qts of wort for a half hour and just splitting it up between the two fermenters. Anything wrong with this?
I don't think you can just assume that two ounces boiled in half a gallon and then diluted will give comparable bittering to two ounces boiled in ten gallons.

Have you pitched the yeast yet?

As the title says, forgot to add hops to boil. I’m thinking about doing a hop tea and adding it to the fermenters but I’m not sure what ratios to do for the tea.

I’ve got around 10 gal of wort split between two fermenters and the recipe I followed called for 2oz of east Kent goldings for the whole batch. I’m thinking about boiling 2oz in around 2qts of wort for a half hour and just splitting it up between the two fermenters. Anything wrong with this? Any help would be appreciated.

It'll probably be difficult to boil a half-gallon without it completely evaporating, suggest you bring it to a boil, then pop it into a 200 degree oven (preheated) so that it's not actually boiling, but it's well above the bittering extraction temperature range...

IBU Calculator Beer Bitterness | Brewer's Friend will let you play around to see how many ibu's you can expect to get out of the hop tea...

In your case, assuming your Kent Goldings are 5.6% AA like the ones in my freezer are, plug in these values...

1701718987695.png

I have successfully done this with a recipe that I forgot to adjust because I didn't notice that my Magnum hops were HALF the Alpha Acid percentage that I was accustomed to! Also, I highly recommend that you don't dip a finger into the tea to "just give it a taste", cuz it was utterly vile!

this is a good video about adding hop tea. but these assume you didn't forget the hop additions in the boil. i imagine you could increase the hops in these hop teas to account for the forgotten additions. but i think it will be tough and need trial and error. make a tea and add it too a small amount of beer and scale up for the 10 gallons. one thing though beer without hops is very hard to compare to what beer should taste like. it will be even harder with unfermented wort. so it may be hard to figure out how much hop tea to add and how bitter it needs to be. the video i linked may help. good luck

Neat video. Never thought anyone would actually be drinking hop tea, super interesting. I’ve got some cheap big name beer I could experiment with, I may give that a go. Thanks for the advice

It'll probably be difficult to boil a half-gallon without it completely evaporating, suggest you bring it to a boil, then pop it into a 200 degree oven (preheated) so that it's not actually boiling, but it's well above the bittering extraction temperature range...

IBU Calculator Beer Bitterness | Brewer's Friend will let you play around to see how many ibu's you can expect to get out of the hop tea...

In your case, assuming your Kent Goldings are 5.6% AA like the ones in my freezer are, plug in these values...

View attachment 835606
I have successfully done this with a recipe that I forgot to adjust because I didn't notice that my Magnum hops were HALF the Alpha Acid percentage that I was accustomed to! Also, I highly recommend that you don't dip a finger into the tea to "just give it a taste", cuz it was utterly vile!
The oven idea is fantastic, will definitely be doing that. And I will try not to taste it but I will have a hard time stopping myself 😂

I don't think you can just assume that two ounces boiled in half a gallon and then diluted will give comparable bittering to two ounces boiled in ten gallons.

Have you pitched the yeast yet?
Yeah, pitched yeast and it’s been fermenting for about 3 days.

The oven idea is fantastic, will definitely be doing that. And I will try not to taste it but I will have a hard time stopping myself 😂
LOL, I couldn't help myself either! But don't come back here and say you you weren't warned!
Do note that I plugged in numbers for a half-gallon diluted into 5 gallons (ie, your beer in ONE fermenter).
Depending on how confident you are in splitting the tea evenly, I'd lean towards one batch at a time.

My (rescued) beer had finished fermenting (1.100 down to 1.018).

yeah dont taste it it will be BIIIIIIITTTTTTEEERRRRR . i read a thread on here about a guy who licked a drop of hop oil out of the syringe . he regretted that. and another about a guy who chewed a hop cone at a brewery . he claimed he couldnt drink beer for years after that.

I have no advice other than to check out these posts on the meme generator thread. It went in this direction for a while... Needless to say it's a common mistake.

Post in thread 'how about a meme generator thread...' how about a meme generator thread...
I’m new to brewing, so knowing this is common enough to generate memes definitely dulls the embarrassment a bit 😂

no i can see forgetting to add things. i do too many things at once on brewday. i always think i can do something during down time like when wort is chilling. so i multitask and it results in mistakes. last week i forgot to add carafa 2 to my stout. i just put it by the grain mill and never ground it. the stout came out fine. i usually add my hop addition a little late cause i forget them then remember them a minute later. lol

btw welcome. its a long journey ahead.

no i can see forgetting to add things. i do too many things at once on brewday. i always think i can do something during down time like when wort is chilling. so i multitask and it results in mistakes. last week i forgot to add carafa 2 to my stout. i just put it by the grain mill and never ground it. the stout came out fine. i usually add my hop addition a little late cause i forget them then remember them a minute later. lol

btw welcome. its a long journey ahead.
I appreciate the welcome! Curious if you age your stouts? I love a good stout but have been hesitant to brew one just because I know I don’t have the patience to let it age properly.

I don't think you mentioned what styles you brewed. You might consider dry hopping the snot out of the beer and going with it. Depending on the style, of course.
It’s one 10 gal batch of Irish red ale split between two fermenters. Not too familiar with the style honestly, so I wouldn’t know if dry hopping is the way to go.

Back