Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(in my best Howard Cossel voice)

DOWN GOES DATAZ!!!

Nah... it's all fun on this board. Let's put the jokes aside for second... it was two good teams just wailing away at each other for almost five freakin' quarters. I had about 9 heart attacks in the stands watching but in the end, obviously the best team won and will continue their utter dominance and the other team, who... likes to think they're good... will continue not being good. That's really what it boils down to. It is simple science. Pats=good. Ravens=not very good. Chargers=terrible. See?

I really thought it was going to end in a tie. Surprised that the Ravens seemed to stop being so aggressive late in the game, that seemed to let the Pats defense concentrate more on just stopping the run, and... well, they did.

Still kind of wish they let Gostkowski try the 62-yarder....

I really thought it was going to end in a tie. Surprised that the Ravens seemed to stop being so aggressive late in the game, that seemed to let the Pats defense concentrate more on just stopping the run, and... well, they did.

Still kind of wish they let Gostkowski try the 62-yarder....

I really thought it was going to be a tie too and just really **** everything up this year.

I hated seeing the play calling. I really thought I was watching a Brian billick team again. 3rd and long? The obvious choice is a screen. :mad:

I dunno dude... defense concentrated more... the play calling was too timid... the sun was in their eyes... Brady's hair was too dreamy...

It's all just woulda, shoulda, coulda.... ya gotta break it down the simplest form... Pats are good... Ravens are not.

Bird, Are you done with that damn avatar yet or what??

How's this?

I've got MAD Microsoft Paint SKILLZ.....

tom-brady-for-Dataz.JPG

Ok... SERIOUSLY stepping away from the trash talk for one minute... just wanted to ask about the Meriweather hit on Todd Heap yesterday. I was at the game and they only showed one replay.

It LOOKED like... and I swear (and I know that's gonna be hard to believe given my posts) that I'm not just being a homer here... but... it LOOKED like he lead with his head (which should ABSOLUTELY be a penalty), but that Heap got kinda spun around in the air and that is what caused the helmet to helmet.

It didn't look to me like Meriweather was trying to crush the guys skull or anything... I think he went in with his head but that the helmut to helmut looked kinda accidental.

I'm lookin' for an honest opinion on it since I didn't see it on tv 10 times and the press is rippin' him up for it. Just curious if it was really that bad.

He went in high, which is a no-no. Bad play. Don't think he meant to HURT Heap, but it looked irresponsible, like he was going for a Rodney Harrison-type highlight play. He went in high, no doubt about that, which makes the helmet-to-helmet his fault regardless of whether Heap spun around in mid-air or not.

So, I don't think it matters. You go in high, that's a dumb football play. He's just as likely to hurt himself in that situation, anyway.

To call it "dirty," though, I think implies that he meant to hurt Heap, and I don't think we can say that. I would call it a dumb, irresponsible play.

EDIT: I've got to watch the play again, but IIRC it was the helmet-to-helmet contact that caused the spin, not the other way around.

He went in high, which is a no-no. Bad play. Don't think he meant to HURT Heap, but it looked irresponsible, like he was going for a Rodney Harrison-type highlight play. He went in high, no doubt about that, which makes the helmet-to-helmet his fault regardless of whether Heap spun around in mid-air or not.

So, I don't think it matters. You go in high, that's a dumb football play. He's just as likely to hurt himself in that situation, anyway.

To call it "dirty," though, I think implies that he meant to hurt Heap, and I don't think we can say that. I would call it a dumb, irresponsible play.
Yeah, he led with his head. Definitely deserved a flag. Great way to hurt yourself, too. Check out the kid at Rutgers. Led with his head on a tackle and now sits in a hospital unable to move.

Uh oh, Junior.

Junior Seau drove his SUV off a cliff and landed close to the beach in Carlsbad, Calif., early Monday morning after the former All-Pro linebacker was arrested.

Seau
He escaped major injury.

Seau was arrested on a charge of felony spousal assault with injury, Oceanside, Calif., police reported in a statement. He was booked into the Vista Detention Facility early Monday morning and posted bail after 3 a.m. local time, the watch commander told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Carlsbad police later responded to a 911 call of a single vehicle off the road and dispatched police and fire personnel. Seau's Cadillac SUV was found on the beach 30 feet below the roadside.

Seau, 41, was the only person in the vehicle and was transported to Scripps La Jolla Hospital. Police said Seau was conscious and and remains hospitalized with minor injuries, including cuts and bruises.

Richard Doan, who answered the phone of a woman who works for Seau's foundation, said Seau is shaken up but appeared to have escaped serious injury.

An investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Seau was arrested around midnight PT after a report was called in around 10 p.m. The victim was his 25-year-old live-in girlfriend, police said in a statement. She told police that Seau assaulted her during a verbal argument. The police said she sustained minor injuries that did not require medical attention.

Seau was not at the residence when police arrived. He later spoke with police by phone and agreed to return to his home. He was arrested without incident when he approached the residence, police said in the statement.

Seau is a 12-time Pro Bowler who played for the Chargers, Dolphins and Patriots. He played in seven games for New England last season.

Seau's arrest and car accident were first reported by TMZ.com.

alright... just checking on the Meriweather hit. It didn't look that bad at the stadium but I'll certainly defer to you guys.

Back to making fun of how bad the Ravens suck!!

(yeah, that's nuts about Junior.... a 25 year old girlfriend!? )

Ok... SERIOUSLY stepping away from the trash talk for one minute... just wanted to ask about the Meriweather hit on Todd Heap yesterday. I was at the game and they only showed one replay.

It LOOKED like... and I swear (and I know that's gonna be hard to believe given my posts) that I'm not just being a homer here... but... it LOOKED like he lead with his head (which should ABSOLUTELY be a penalty), but that Heap got kinda spun around in the air and that is what caused the helmet to helmet.

It didn't look to me like Meriweather was trying to crush the guys skull or anything... I think he went in with his head but that the helmut to helmut looked kinda accidental.

I'm lookin' for an honest opinion on it since I didn't see it on tv 10 times and the press is rippin' him up for it. Just curious if it was really that bad.

It looked nasty as hell and I will even say dirty. If it was just a one time thing I wouldn't have called it dirty but he tried to do the exact same thing on heap in the end zone about 10 minutes before. On that one though Heap was falling backwards and Meriweather missed and just grazed him. Look at both replays though and it looked like it was intentionally going for the helmet to helmet.

Honestly, I think (not even just this situation) leading with your helmet and making helmet to helmet contact should be an immediate ejection. That can cause some serious injuries to both guys. Fining them isn't going to do ****. They need to be tossed and/or suspended for it.

It looked nasty as hell and I will even say dirty. If it was just a one time thing I wouldn't have called it dirty but he tried to do the exact same thing on heap in the end zone about 10 minutes before. On that one though Heap was falling backwards and Meriweather missed and just grazed him. Look at both replays though and it looked like it was intentionally going for the helmet to helmet.

Honestly, I think (not even just this situation) leading with your helmet and making helmet to helmet contact should be an immediate ejection. That can cause some serious injuries to both guys. Fining them isn't going to do ****. They need to be tossed and/or suspended for it.

That's what Rodney Harrison was saying (of course, he wouldn't have been saying that if he was still playing ;)).

I agree in principal, but I hate giving the refs that much leeway. It'd basically be like the NBA, where there are personal fouls, Flagrant 1s, and Flagrant 2s. The difference between a "1" and a "2" seemed to mostly be intent, and that's not something that's easy to judge.

Speaking of personal fouls - what the hell was up with that shove that the Ravens running back did late in the game? They were already backed up, but that basically put them in a 3rd-and-forever when they still had a chance to go down the field and kick a field goal. THAT was a dumb play. It wasn't the most vicious shove in the world, but cripes, you've got to be smarter than to just shove a guy right in front of the ref. Just wait until the next scrum and punch him in the nuts, don't push the guy right where EVERYONE see it and you kill your team's chances.

I don't disagree with you at all on what they should do about it. If it was that bad, then yeah, he deserves some kind of suspension and they need to get that out of the league to whatever extent they can.

I honestly couldn't tell in the stadium and I haven't see the replay on TV. Like I was saying before, from the one quick replay they showed at the stadium it honestly did look almost accidental but I'll take your word on it. :mug:

Ravens still lost though... let's not lose sight of that.

That's what Rodney Harrison was saying (of course, he wouldn't have been saying that if he was still playing ;)).

I agree in principal, but I hate giving the refs that much leeway. It'd basically be like the NBA, where there are personal fouls, Flagrant 1s, and Flagrant 2s. The difference between a "1" and a "2" seemed to mostly be intent, and that's not something that's easy to judge.

It would be really hard to judge and maybe it is something that should be reviewed by a booth ref first. I just think something needs to be done immediately because more than likely you are removing someone for the other team for at least the rest of that game. No reason you should be allowed to continue to play.

Speaking of personal fouls - what the hell was up with that shove that the Ravens running back did late in the game? They were already backed up, but that basically put them in a 3rd-and-forever when they still had a chance to go down the field and kick a field goal. THAT was a dumb play. It wasn't the most vicious shove in the world, but cripes, you've got to be smarter than to just shove a guy right in front of the ref. Just wait until the next scrum and punch him in the nuts, don't push the guy right where EVERYONE see it and you kill your team's chances.

Yeah, that was ****ing stupid. I couldn't even see what happened to cause it. I am sure he got shoved or something first, but who cares. In that situation you need to just let it go. The weird thing is, it is pretty unusual for him to do something like that.

I hear ya Bird on that is a tough ting to put in the ref's hands... intent... but I would rather see a guy (even a Pats player) bounced as the result of a bad call and then thinking twice about doing it for real the next time... than see guys with the amount of serious concussions that the NFL is seeing.

I mean, thinking it over, the intent doesn't really matter. A hit like Meriweather's (or the two Jerome Harrison hits), the intention is irrelevant. The defender either:

A. MEANT to hurt the offensive player, in which case he needs to be kicked out, or
B. Is playing out of control and is a danger because of that.

I'd HOPE that the threat of suspension would be enough to keep players in check, and that there weren't more than a handful of times per year when players were kicked out of games. As objective as I can be, I'd view Meriweather's hit as being borderline - but certainly if he did it again, he'd be gone.

I'd also hope that if the league were to do this, maybe they'd lighten up a little bit on some of the ridiculous amount of protection that QBs get. Not talking hits to the head, but when a defensive player is only a half-step from the QB when the ball is released and makes a clean hit, you see a lot of fouls that really shouldn't BE fouls. Get rid of the dirty stuff, get rid of the helmet-to-helmet, have very low tolerance for that but otherwise let them play.

Incidentally, read an article once that made a fairly compelling argument that the best way to reduce head injuries in football.... get rid of the helmets. Look at sports like rugby, which are just as violent but where there are not as many head injuries despite no helmets, because the players know that they can't lead with their damn head! Football helmets lend an unwarranted sense of invincibility.

Would never happen, and players are probably too conditioned to go in head-first for it to be effective, but was an interesting perspective.

I'd also hope that if the league were to do this, maybe they'd lighten up a little bit on some of the ridiculous amount of protection that QBs get. Not talking hits to the head, but when a defensive player is only a half-step from the QB when the ball is released and makes a clean hit, you see a lot of fouls that really shouldn't BE fouls. Get rid of the dirty stuff, get rid of the helmet-to-helmet, have very low tolerance for that but otherwise let them play.

I couldn't agree with that more. There is no reason that QBs should get special treatment. They are still a damn football player.

Incidentally, read an article once that made a fairly compelling argument that the best way to reduce head injuries in football.... get rid of the helmets. Look at sports like rugby, which are just as violent but where there are not as many head injuries despite no helmets, because the players know that they can't lead with their damn head! Football helmets lend an unwarranted sense of invincibility.

You have a point there, but there is no way in hell that would ever happen.

It should be noted that the Patriots are AGAIN on track for an 18-1 season.

There are still a lot of ups and downs, but it's hard not to be impressed with how well the defense has played at times. They're either terrible or unstoppable, but that's an improvement over the "consistently mediocre" of recent years. The Pats ain't peaked yet.

I hope Dan Marino broke his forearm fisting himself this morning after his dead-on prediction of the Ravens "dominating" the Pats. Whatta jerk. Hey Dan, why don't you take your Super Ring and go pound... Oh. Wait. Thats right

I'm laughing right now, listening to Tom Jackson postulate about how the Cowboys feel about their coach. We all know how much expertise Tom Jackson has in those matters.

It should be noted that the Patriots are AGAIN on track for an 18-1 season.

Really? They're 4-1 right now. So I'd say they're on pace to go 13-3 in the regular season. Where'd you learn your math? :ban:

Oh, and they're one OT field goal away from being tied with the Seahawks. How's THAT for perspective?!? LOL

i read something like that too. but rugby is fundamentally different, they actually tackle. if you go in with your shoulder without the intent to wrap up and bring a guy to the ground, that's a penalty. you can't just slam into a guy to knock him on the ground. that wouldn't be useful anyway, because if you're the ball carrier and you aren't being held on the ground, you can just get up. you need some sort of helmets in football because of the way the game's played.

in rugby your opponent is always in front of you, there isn't ever really a situation similar to a high thrown pass across the middle where a corner or linebacker just lays a guy out. as long as that situation exists there will always be a need for some sort of head protection.

Back