Has anyone bought a controller from electricbiab.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
The controller is touch screen and looks really cool, the price is right, and the dude has gotten right back to every annoying question I ask via email. What am I missing here? Why havent I heard much about them?

Well, I pulled the trigger. So I guess we will see.

Seems like a fair price for a complete system to me... give us some pictures and feedback after your first brew.

Ill deff keep you posted. I orderd the controller and his element. Not the complete kit as I have some stuff already.

I was looking at that too but I don't like the idea of the thermowell temperature sensor. I want a 1/2 npt temp sensor so I can have it in a T fitting

Is a thermowell less accurate?

I think they just respond slower to changes in temp. That could result in PID overshoot.

Seems like with a simple change to the code the same hardware could maintain HLT temperature and control a pump for a HERMS mash control. I am, of course, assuming it could handle a second temp sensor. If the manufacturer is willing to consider a firmware change, I'd buy one to control the complicated half of my herms rig and run a simple phase angle SSR for the boil kettle.

*edit* Whatever controls the pump outlet would also have to have the ability to run PID control. That's less likely than input for a second therm probe I think.

*edit again* after more thought, it's basically a complete start over on the software to do this.

The main problem with thermowells is if they are too short the thermal mass of the nut, threaded adapter etc makes it slow to respond and potentially undershoots. The same is true for any other kind of probe that screws in e.g. RTDs. A long thermowell in the middle of the liquid should respond quickly.

I was looking at that too but I don't like the idea of the thermowell temperature sensor. I want a 1/2 npt temp sensor so I can have it in a T fitting

The main problem with thermowells is if they are too short the thermal mass of the nut, threaded adapter etc makes it slow to respond and potentially undershoots. The same is true for any other kind of probe that screws in e.g. RTDs. A long thermowell in the middle of the liquid should respond quickly.

That all makes sense, but what you are comparing is a long/short thermowell. I think the orginal concern was that the probe supplied is a straight thermowell so you can just "screw" it into where you want to. I am getting a probe similar to that supplied and a 6mm x 1/2" NPT swaglock fitting (drilled through) to set the probe up inline with the flow.

I don't want to be a negative nancy and take away from this guy's business but that's only 4-500 bucks of goodies. Granted, the software is written and it's prebuilt...mostly...but still.

I don't want to be a negative nancy and take away from this guy's business but that's only 4-500 bucks of goodies. Granted, the software is written and it's prebuilt...mostly...but still.

But you could say that about any prebuilt (or even kitset) "thing". How much stuff is in one of Kal's kits?
I am at the start of something that will probably turn out similar to this controller I will try and do it for much cheaper (although $2-300 doesn't actually go too far!). So far I am about $80 and still need to get a box to mount this all in.

I dont think he's making a whole bunch on these. Any assembled kit is going to be more than the sum of the parts (and it should be.) Like I said if it said blichmann (not to take anything away from john, his products are of great quality) it would be 2-3 times the price.

Go ahead and take away some business and build them yourself.

Right on. Product development takes time. There is cost in stocking anything (inventory is frozen cash). Support means time and replacement costs that have to figure in to the original cost of the item.

And, lest it be forgotten, profit is not a sin.

Right on. Product development takes time. There is cost in stocking anything (inventory is frozen cash). Support means time and replacement costs that have to figure in to the original cost of the item.

And, lest it be forgotten, profit is not a sin.

Being the provider of the system, I feel compelled to respond, without making it a commercial for my product.

The system includes shipping, which is no small cost now days. There is inbound shipping on every component and outbound shipping of the complete system. Outbound shipping approaches $50 for some locations. I'd like to see the bill of materials and suppliers for the $400 cost estimate. I'd gladly purchase that option! Even buying in bulk I can't get near that. Looking forward to seeing that.

Relative to profit, I'm working for less than half of minimum wage if I account for all my time. Time to purchase, receive, store, fabricate, assemble, fully test and package. Also there are consumables such as tooling, solder, potting compound, packing materials, etc.

Much time was spent evaluating materials and designing. Not to mention the time spent developing and perfecting the firmware and software. The enclosure is laser cut specifically for this controller. Designing that took days to perfect.

Also, taxes! Profit is taxed, and we all know what a cut that takes out of the bottom line.

More power to those that want to build it themselves. Homebrewers are by design do-it-yourselfers. This system is being provided to allow some to eliminate all the time and mistakes made when building your own.

Hope this didn't cross a line into advertising, it is more of a justification response.

Cheers.

Being the provider of the system, I feel compelled to respond, without making it a commercial for my product.

The system includes shipping, which is no small cost now days. There is inbound shipping on every component and outbound shipping of the complete system. Outbound shipping approaches $50 for some locations. I'd like to see the bill of materials and suppliers for the $400 cost estimate. I'd gladly purchase that option! Even buying in bulk I can't get near that. Looking forward to seeing that.

Relative to profit, I'm working for less than half of minimum wage if I account for all my time. Time to purchase, receive, store, fabricate, assemble, fully test and package. Also there are consumables such as tooling, solder, potting compound, packing materials, etc.

Much time was spent evaluating materials and designing. Not to mention the time spent developing and perfecting the firmware and software. The enclosure is laser cut specifically for this controller. Designing that took days to perfect.

Also, taxes! Profit is taxed, and we all know what a cut that takes out of the bottom line.

More power to those that want to build it themselves. Homebrewers are by design do-it-yourselfers. This system is being provided to allow some to eliminate all the time and mistakes made when building your own.

Hope this didn't cross a line into advertising, it is more of a justification response.

Cheers.

And a very even-tempered, reasonable response at that. :)

Have you ever written custom firmware and software for a touchscreen based GUI before? Maybe you're a CE or an EE and have, but if you are, I doubt you would be making this kind of comment. I'm not trying to start any fights, but when I saw this system I was very excited to see that the price was so low. If only it didn't require a thermowell

FWIW, given the responses i've seen from the owner on here i'll be more than happy to purchase this controller from him. I'm looking into e-biab right now, and for me this thing is priced right for what i do/want. Plus the he seems like a pretty solid guy.

Have you ever written custom firmware and software for a touchscreen based GUI before? Maybe you're a CE or an EE and have, but if you are, I doubt you would be making this kind of comment. I'm not trying to start any fights, but when I saw this system I was very excited to see that the price was so low. If only it didn't require a thermowell

Just a note that I've tested a weldless connector that allows the temperature sensor to make direct contact with the water/wort. Response to temperature changes is nearly immediate. Cost is a little more, but may solve your concerns.

Cheers

Flyingpole - why aren't you advertising these on here? This market is growing in leaps and bounds and you come out of no where with what seems like a great system. It can't be that pricey to get your name all over HBT.

If I hadn't already dropped so much coin on my eBIAB setup I would have ordered you control box in a heartbeat. It's just so clean!

Flyingpole - why aren't you advertising these on here? This market is growing in leaps and bounds and you come out of no where with what seems like a great system. It can't be that pricey to get your name all over HBT.

If I hadn't already dropped so much coin on my eBIAB setup I would have ordered you control box in a heartbeat. It's just so clean!

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, I'm trying to determine if it is the proper venue. I am advertising elsewhere as it appears my target market is the first time newbee that can jump right into all grain brewing and skip the "dump and stir kit" step we all probably went through.

People that are on these forums like HBT typically already have equipment (as you stated you do as well), and are not real potential customers. Also, people that are already into homebrewing tend to be the real do-it-yourselfers and feel that they could do it better and cheaper themselves, so they aren't potential, customers either. A few posts in this thread prove that.

I am evaluating advertising here, and eventually probably will once volume picks up and I can see if there is any real interest.

Thanks for your input.

I disagree flyingpole, if you can make money on these for what your selling them for there is a market here. I have been brewing for quite some time now and I am usually a DIY guy I just didn't feel like building my own controller, let alone a touch screen controller. Maybe it would be more so for the controller and element here (like I purchased) than the full system, but I think yore underestimating or overestimating this group.

Just a note that I've tested a weldless connector that allows the temperature sensor to make direct contact with the water/wort. Response to temperature changes is nearly immediate. Cost is a little more, but may solve your concerns.

Cheers

I'm listening. Anymore information on this setup? Also, after checking out your website I'm wondering if there is an option to set more than two hop additions? Not that I wouldn't be able to set my own timer and add extra hops...

I'm listening. Anymore information on this setup? Also, after checking out your website I'm wondering if there is an option to set more than two hop additions? Not that I wouldn't be able to set my own timer and add extra hops...

The next release of firmware for the controller will allow multiple hops addition alarms/prompts.

This is the weldless fitting I'm evaluating. Puts the sensor in direct contact with the water/wort, but extends only slightly into the kettle.

https://www.brewershardware.com/WLFM14C14.html

Please contact me via the contact us page on my web site to discuss details.

I disagree flyingpole, if you can make money on these for what your selling them for there is a market here. I have been brewing for quite some time now and I am usually a DIY guy I just didn't feel like building my own controller, let alone a touch screen controller. Maybe it would be more so for the controller and element here (like I purchased) than the full system, but I think yore underestimating or overestimating this group.

Point taken! Thanks.

flyingpole, As a ChemE and all-grain brewer looking to switch over to an eBIAB, I say kudos to you. I am taking advantage of my company's discount rates for buying from electronics distributors/manufacturers and I'm still struggling to keep my build under $400. That's even with already having a keggle with all the fittings that is bought and paid for. Really great work. Is there any way you'd be willing to trade/sell a little info on your controller and it's firmware?

Flying pole will I also be able to
Update the firmware on my controller?

I guess the question is, will the software will accurately read temperature with an RTD probe?

The next release of firmware for the controller will allow multiple hops addition alarms/prompts.

This is the weldless fitting I'm evaluating. Puts the sensor in direct contact with the water/wort, but extends only slightly into the kettle.

https://www.brewershardware.com/WLFM14C14.html

Please contact me via the contact us page on my web site to discuss details.

That one is a work of art as far as machining goes but as a vendor, I don't mind mildly spamming this thread with a cheaper option. I get $18 for the fitting shown at the 3:24 mark in this video and it's every bit as leakfree.

[ame]http://youtu.be/lXRj9CVwIfY?t=3m24s[/ame]

Carry on.

That one is a work of art as far as machining goes but as a vendor, I don't mind mildly spamming this thread with a cheaper option. I get $18 for the fitting shown at the 3:24 mark in this video and it's every bit as leakfree.

http://youtu.be/lXRj9CVwIfY?t=3m24s

Carry on.

Well Bobby, you may have just sold me with your 1/2 NPT to probe so I can fit the temp sensor in a T on my recirc.

@flyingpole is the introductory price just for the 15 gallon system or are all the prices going to go up after the 27th? I am just looking at buying the controller but need to save up some money first

Back