Issue with Auber SYL-2342 PID Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris112

Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking to see if anyone else has come across this particular issue I am having with a PID controller on a newly-purchased EBC-330 wort hog (highgravitybrew.com).

Dave at High Gravity Brew has been great with email support and troubleshooting over the last couple weeks and even sent a new module for me to test. I am however sending the whole controller back for him to evaluate because we are both stumped on what could be causing the issue.

The problem appears with the temperature readout on the Mash PID (which is an Auber SYL-2342). The temperature readout (in the Auber manual this is the PV reading) will rapidly fluctuate temperature readings every second. It never settles on a temperature, even in a large volume of room-temperature water. The fluctuation can sometimes be 1-4 degrees, meaning it may read 65f one second, and jump to 69f the next second. This happens regardless of the operating temperature, so even at normal mash temps (152f for example) the reading never stops moving. I understand the readout only shows whole degrees so 152.5 may round up to 153 so to go up or down one degree, over a few seconds seems normal. However, jumping multiple degrees each second is not reasonable and I question the accuracy of the device.

I've swapped around both temperature probes and cables (the probes are precision thermistors in a TC housing and I have two of each) and the issue persists. Even more odd, is that the EBC-330 has another PID controller (Auber EZBoil) with its own temperature readout for the HLT and that temperature is steady and does not fluctuate at all, meaning I set it to 180, and once the water is at 180f, it holds steady.

Also as mentioned, I swapped the controller for another controller that Dave sent out to me and the issue is still present.

I am just curious if anyone else has ever seen this issue with this controller since I know these are used in other brewing systems and since we can't quite figure out what's going on here.

I have the exact same problem! Did you find a solution or answer to why it’s fluctuating? I also have the SYL 2342 PID also from High gravity. I noticed the next day after a brew when I was heating water and PBW for a cleaning cycle, the reading was bouncing around, 128, 131, 129 etc. I had this controller(EBC -SV) for many years maybe 10 years never had this issue.

Last edited:
Might be a loose connector in the temperature probes panel mount socket. Don't know if they are screwed terminals or soldered. The slight resistance change of this joint when it moves about could cause the temperature to jump about.
Reason for thinking this socket/connection could be the source is because it seems to be one of the only things that has stayed constant with the stuff you have changed out.

I have the exact same problem! Did you find a solution or answer to why it’s fluctuating? I also have the SYL 2342 PID also from High gravity. I noticed the next day after a brew when I was heating water and PBW for a cleaning cycle, the reading was bouncing around, 128, 131, 129 etc. I had this controller(EBC -SV) for many years maybe 10 years never had this issue.
No I never figured it out. I actually did some more research and had a friend help build a custom controller that didn't require two digital controllers. I just use the Auber EZBoil DSPR120 since it has mash and boil controls built in. The only thing I had to do to make this work with a dual vessel system was to create a switchable temperature probe so I can switch between the HLT and kettle probes. I accomplished this with a 2-position mechanical toggle switch. It has three sets of three connectors, one for each switch position and one to go to the controller terminals. I purchased parts and pre-made temp probes from theelectricbrewery.

That's odd that yours has worked for 10 years and you just started to have issues now.

Might be a loose connector in the temperature probes panel mount socket. Don't know if they are screwed terminals or soldered. The slight resistance change of this joint when it moves about could cause the temperature to jump about.
Reason for thinking this socket/connection could be the source is because it seems to be one of the only things that has stayed constant with the stuff you have changed
No I never figured it out. I actually did some more research and had a friend help build a custom controller that didn't require two digital controllers. I just use the Auber EZBoil DSPR120 since it has mash and boil controls built in. The only thing I had to do to make this work with a dual vessel system was to create a switchable temperature probe so I can switch between the HLT and kettle probes. I accomplished this with a 2-position mechanical toggle switch. It has three sets of three connectors, one for each switch position and one to go to the controller terminals. I purchased parts and pre-made temp probes from theelectricbrewery.

That's odd that yours has worked for 10 years and you just started to have issues now.
Yeah about 10 years and only had to change the temp cable. I plan on opening it up and take a look at the connections inside. Maybe like Matt said something is loose. Hopefully that will be all that’s needed, if more than that I may just go with the Ezboil controller. Thanks for your feedback.

Back