Using Home Made Toffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
G'Day all, I was just wondering that if I made some home made brown toffee
With normal table sugar and brown vinegar like my mother used to make,and boy did it taste nice,it could be broken up into pieces like Belgian candi, how would that taste in a brew?

Interesting. I'm not sure Belgian candy sugar is the proper comparison because your candy making sugar and ingredients are different. But a joy of homebrewing is experimentation. So I say give it a try. I think it would be good in an English Brown Ale.

Do you normally add vinegar to your beer? Then you should try your toffee.

I know that people add lemon slices to their beer - I've seen it done in bars, with clear bottles of skunky beer - so vinegar might not be much of a stretch. Bear in mind that what you like about toffee has much to do with the sweetness of it. After fermentation, all the sweetness will be gone and only the vinegar will remain.

Sounds like it's an experiment worth conducting (and drinking!). Some of the acid from the vinegar will go into splitting the sucrose into "invert sugar," which is a combination of glucose and fructose, both of which are fully fermentable. However, the caramelizing from the cooking process will turn some of the sugar into non-fermentables but it's hard to predict how much exactly. I'd take a wild guess and treat it like dark brown sugar (which is sucrose with a little molasses) or dark Belgian candi in your calculations. Are sugar and vinegar the only ingredients? If there's butter in there, it may impact head retention.

Yes, I've made something similar and added about 3/4 lb to a brown ale. I should have made more because it was pretty subtle at that amount. It depends on how strong the flavor is for your toffee and how fermentable it is. I just bought some DAP and will be making a candi syrup soon.

Well it is all about exploring new things and crafting new and interesting flavours and new ideas.

Im going to try this with a basic extract recipie and ill add 1kg of toffee and we will see how
it turns out. first ill confirm with my mother that she did use those ingrediants (vinegar that is).

Back