Line Length for Picnic Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am setting up my kegging and was going to use the standard 5' of 3/16" bev line. In reading up , it seems some find even this length foamy and have moved to 10' of 1/4" line. Recommendations for the best pour with just a picnic faucet?

That would be 10' of 3/16"line, I have never had any problems with 5 or 6 foot taplines.

I'd use 10' of 3/16" line, I might even start at 12'.

IMO, if it pours a little slow it's no big deal and if the hose is too long you can always cut it shorter. But if it pours too fast and the hose is too short you're kinda screwed.

I see all kinds of claims that this length works and that length works but for me, dispensing @ 12-14 psi, I cannot go any shorter than 10' of 3/16" line or it pours too fast. I don't notice much difference between picnic taps and Perlicks regarding required line length.

Cool, another reason this site is so cool! I will get some of those to try. Anyone have extras?

Cool, another reason this site is so cool! I will get some of those to try. Anyone have extras?
Those insert-things are very cheap. I have some but have never actually used them. For me, they are for super highly carbed beers being served on my 'standard' line lengths. It's way easier for me to just have plenty of line length and not have to futz with those inserts. If a tap flows too slowly it's just a couple more seconds to fill a pint and I can always 'make' foam.

Those insert-things are very cheap. I have some but have never actually used them. For me, they are for super highly carbed beers being served on my 'standard' line lengths. It's way easier for me to just have plenty of line length and not have to futz with those inserts. If a tap flows too slowly it's just a couple more seconds to fill a pint and I can always 'make' foam.

OK, then back to my original questions.....5'? 10'?

The amount of foam is going to depend on
1. Keg pressure
2. Line Diameter
3. Line Length
4. Height above liquid level in keg

To reduce foam you decrease numbers 1 and 2 and increase 3 and 4.

Obviously it is best to try 1 at a time ;)

Latest posts

Back