Help, Tried Everything I can think of - new set up still foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkerton81

Reaction score
All - I apologize for the newbie question but I'm out of options. I continue to pour foam and it seems a bit flat also. My set up is new and described as follows:
  • Edgestar Kegerator, set at 32
  • Temp measured in glass of water in the kegerater was 41
  • Temp of dispensed beer is 41
  • pressure is at 5, but was at 10 and 12
  • I've checked for leaks and find none - and changed the tap
  • 3/16" line was 5 feet, just changed to 8 feet
  • New keg of Michelob Ultra - got it Friday morning
  • Foam is coming right out of the faucet - see video
  • I changed faucets, the current one has a spring in it
  • You can still pour a beer but it yeilds about 5" of head

Any ideas? My next move is to change the faucet but I feel like I'm just guessing at this point

i dont think its you set up i think its the keg.

i think i read somewhere (here) that commercial kegs are super carbonated and need to be bled first prior to pouring.

so bleed keg out . then add 5- 10 lbs of pressure for serving and try that. maybe

I’d recommend longer lines. I serve a commercial keg of Yuengling at 10psi 38° have 10-12’ of the evabarrier tubing and can tap a new keg (just did yesterday) pour 2/3 of a pint glass of foam then it’s fine for the rest of the keg.

So I’d say either colder temp or longer serving line. Or both.

Just my .02

Agree with everything mentioned above. It may not apply to your situation but I once had the same issue and it turned out to be pellet hop particles that got trapped in the poppet in the beer out post. I’m sure that’s probably not the case considering you’re working off a commercial keg, but maybe it’s somewhere downstream, perhaps the quick connect or the tap. Just a thought. Good luck.

All - I apologize for the newbie question but I'm out of options. I continue to pour foam and it seems a bit flat also. My set up is new and described as follows:

Any ideas? My next move is to change the faucet but I feel like I'm just guessing at this point
View attachment 841639

View attachment 841639
Start here.

https://www.homebrewersassociation....ng-act-how-to-balance-your-home-draft-system/

Commercial beer is typically carbed to 2.5-2.7 vol CO2 with commercial setups to pour at 38
Degrees Fahrenheit.

Most commercial kegerator arent setup properly with the right inner diameter beer line. Personally i have found even after running the calculations having a few extra feet can still be helpful. So much for Physics!

Also a fan and insulation on the tap tower can do wonders for the “first” pour.

Good luck!

Well, start by bringing the pressure up to 12psi and leave it there for at least an hour before moving on. That is the pressure you'll need to hold the 2.5 volumes of CO2 at 41F. Now pour and watch the beer tubing right out of the top of the keg coupler. Is the foamy beer coming out of the keg or are the bubbles forming later in the line?

How old is the kegerator? If foam is still blowing right into the line, the smaller gasket on the bottom of the coupler is probably cracked or shrunk.

1708063528168.png

Thanks for the replies and help. I'll be back in this fight this weekend and will try:
  1. Checking the temp again - since it's set at 32 I'm still hopeful it will come down a bit (it's an edgstar indoor model but new, so it should be better at getting to temp)
  2. Check for foam in the line - my guess is use a flashight and look for bubbles
  3. I may try and remove the line from the faucet and pour directly (use a pair of vice grips to pinch the line) - to see if it's my faucet
  4. I've got 15 feet of line to install (seems too long but I don't want to try something shorter bc you can't go longer!!)
  5. I've also got a new faucet if that is the problem
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back