DIY hoses & taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
Does anyone build their own keg lines? At some point I plan to get a kegerator or build one, but for now I only have a stand up refrigerator to use. That said, I'll have to use a picnic tap. I have seen a few pre-made from $20-$60 and seems like this can be done much cheaper. Any recommendations or care to share what you have? Thanks!

I'm sure most of us keggers have built random lines from time to time. It's pretty much a necessity if you're kegging. It's very easy. Just buy the picnic taps, tubing, ball/pin lock connectors and slap it together.

I have also put together random lines for PET bottle fillers I use occasionally, and of course any kegger will eventually build, rebuild, repair, clean, etc the lines in their kegerator. Did that this week.

My recommendation is to make sure you have a spray bottle handy. ;)

I made my own lines using EVA Barrier tubing and Duotight push to connect fittings. Check out More Beer. They have a pre-built one that will save you a couple of dollars vs piecing the parts together.

Duotight/EVA Barrier picnic assembly

1703337816907.png

Literally the first I've read of "pre-made" tap lines; I've always made up my own. Started with the industry standard Bevlex 200 solid pvc many years ago, then switched all of my lines (beer, gas, and rinser tray water supply) to EVABarrier tubing in 2019. Highly recommended, use 1 foot of the 4mm ID tubing per 2 psi of CO2 - preferentially with JohnGuest PTC fittings - and you're golden...

Cheers!

Yes, I am. Why? Exactly because none of the 49 JG ptc fittings in service here have (has?) failed...
Thanks for the positive confirmation!

Any advantage to using Acetal over PolyPropylene, as long as we avoid long soak times in Starsan?

Does anyone build their own keg lines? At some point I plan to get a kegerator or build one, but for now I only have a stand up refrigerator to use. That said, I'll have to use a picnic tap. I have seen a few pre-made from $20-$60 and seems like this can be done much cheaper. Any recommendations or care to share what you have? Thanks!

I suppose there are some vendors that put huge markups on their premade assemblies and that would be a reason to build them yourself, but I only sell them that way because it takes a lot of the purchasing confusion away from people who don't like getting confused. Either add one thing to the cart or many. The cost differences are negligible.

Let's look at these two options, EVA/Duotight and standard PVC tubing.

1703364647633.png

The first item is made of 3 different SKUS
1703364463148.png
1703364483924.png
1703364545855.png

The second assembly is a CMbecker QD, a swivel flare hose barb adapter, tubing, a picnic faucet and two Oetiker clamps. It's way easier to add one to the cart than 5 different items and it's convenient if you don't want to buy an oetiker clamp crimping tool

Attachments

• 1703364415382.png
    1703364415382.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
Hello , does anyone know what does the spring on the valve/faucet shaft( the right spring on the picture) and in which position it should be , fully open , fully closed , middle ?
49deec39cf8ca6de68c0e3a6f6ffe0cb.png

I was struggling with that very differentiation last night. I still don't know one way or the other.
It would be a help to know where that pic came from...

[edit1] And thanks to Google Lens...it came from here.

Doesn't help, though...

[edit2] Ah - but a related link helps!

1705535621054.png

From that picture it sure looks like the spiral at the right end of the shuttle is threading, not a spring...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yes the pic came from the site you mention , but i do have the same tap and yes it is a screw in the end but with spring. I will take a part my tap and attach a better pic so you can see better.

Yes when i turn the screw it change the pull force but it is not only that. I think it is connected with the foam. You see that there are also little holes in the front and on the side of the valve which are connected.

Latest posts

Back