Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite part is the wheels at the base. ;)

J/K. That thing is really awesome. Congrats on the build. So, what's next?

Here is the latest update to my brewframe.

Not quite as bling as The Pol's build. There is a fair amount of stainless involved ;)

I just changed out my brass disconnects for stainless camlocks. An improved whirlpool fitting for the BK is on the way from BargainFittings.com.

More photos will be posted once I get the new toy installed.

I am switching to mirrored stainless for the work top on my rig... decided that today. Should be here custom cut in a couple days.

I am switching to mirrored stainless for the work top on my rig... decided that today. Should be here custom cut in a couple days.

Even MORE bling! :mug:

Wayne,

Don't short yourself, I think your rig packs plenty of bling.

Thanks. The brewframe isn't too bad to brew on, even though it is all manual, propane powered, and built by an old man.

Even MORE bling! :mug:

McMasterCarr is eating the $160 I spent on the last top. The temp. rating was bogus.

Found a place in MN that will custom cut some 14ga mirrored finish SS for the work surface. Metal is really the only way to go, and the SS is much cheaper than the Nylon that McMaster sold me. Went back and forth on the mirrored vs the dull finish... meh... might as well go shiney to match the kettles.

Wayne, your rig looks like a behemoth... how much does that weigh? 700 pounds :) Nice, I like the front panel.

Good luck with the mirrored SS as a work surface. It will get scratched up just wiping it down due to the fact that it is a horizontal surface. Cover it up on brew day and enjoy it the rest of the time and you'll get more life out of it.

Wayne, your rig looks like a behemoth... how much does that weigh? 700 pounds :) Nice, I like the front panel.

Thank you, The Pol.

The frame is built from Unistrut left over from various projects. It happens to be the same size as my Weber gas grill.

The stainless front panel and control panel were intended for life as door guards in a hospital. My cousin is in charge of maintenance at one of Denver's larger hospitals. The stainless was sitting unused in inventory of seven years. He was able to obtain it as part of their asset reductions.

Actual total weight, without kegs, is maybe 175 lbs. I can fairly easily move it from by back deck to my garage, over a bumpy lawn, by myself.

Good luck on your test brews, Pol. Your rig looks great. I wish you many happy brews on it.

If you ever have a layover in Denver, drop me a PM.

Good luck with the mirrored SS as a work surface. It will get scratched up just wiping it down due to the fact that it is a horizontal surface. Cover it up on brew day and enjoy it the rest of the time and you'll get more life out of it.

Work surface is maybe a misnomer... it is where the kettles sit only

It is pretty impressive that it was built entirely indoors. That is why welding was out :D SWMBO had to deal with A LOT of parts and tools clogging up the dining room this past month.

Simply Brilliant! What software application are you running? I am in the process of building my stand and would love to integrate if possible.
:mug:

Simply Brilliant! What software application are you running? I am in the process of building my stand and would love to integrate if possible.
:mug:

I use FireFox as my web browser, I am using the BCS 460 controller. Did some wet runs today, 9000W heats almost scary fast. The BCS needed some tweaking on the refresh rate, but the wireless config. worked well. I will have a couple weeks of tweaking to do.

Watching 4.5 gallons of test water heat at 10F per minute is pretty awesome!

Man thats gorgeous!

Do you think the SS work surface will 'pull' heat away from the kettles? And if so, will it transfer heat to your cabinet?

My latest Brew Rig. New 15 gal electric HLT.. :)

100_0943.JPG

Is that SS or aluminum diamond plate? I have had really bad luck with the aluminum standing up to brewing :(

Looks like chip board, give it a couple coats of oil base primer or clear to waterproof it. I would go with clear shows better and warmer looking. Needs some girly pictures to be complete.

Another Productive Day!!!!!!!!!
DSC00525.JPG

Your build is looking really good. Nice work.

I know your not done yet, I am just throwing this out there. I would round off the corners on your plates that the casters are mounted too. You don't want to catch an ankle on one of those.

Here is some pictures of my all electric rig. It is still a work in progress. Picture is of the controller and the boil kettle. I'll add more pics later.

Controller_1.JPG

Brew Controller with PLC and 3 SSR's and pump control.

Boil_Kettle_with_element.jpg

Boil Kettle

I've done a couple extract batches in it until I finish the rest of it. Hopefully by the end of April I will have a few all grain batches done.

68 F250 454 powered for me. This a FE 454 no chebbie here I learned on them as a kid in HS. 520" FE MPI is next, past the million mile mark in the 69 F250 years ago installed two engines after the factory new 390 got tired.

My all SS (down to the last screw and nut) Brutus "20".

*9000W Blichman Boil Kettle

*9000W RIMS heater

*15G Blichman MLT with "AutoSparge"

*(2) LG 3-MD-HC pumps

*BCS wireless control (is it catching on!)

*"The Brain", a 12" x 12" x 6" self contained control box that controls all brew functions, processes and temperatures. It contains 10 SSRs, 8 heatsinks, distribution block, grounding bar and fuses. Also houses the BCS 460 web based controller as well as the wireless bridge to provide wireless control. Utilizes a 105 CFM 220VAC muffin fan for ventilation.

I give you, DIGIBREW...

In testing (ran all components on test stand before mounting to SS stand) it has been found to bring 12 gallons of 50F water to a rolling boil in 33 minutes! The LG pumps will pump through the current plumbing configuration at a rate of approx. 6 gallons/min.

Back