Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the time has finally come. I can add my own rig to the thread. I finished most everything on the rig tonight. It is functionally done. I can do wet tests this weekend hopefully and then next week sometime. Brew my first beer. I think I am going to do a dunkel. If you want to see more pictures of the build. I have link to the thread in my signature.......Well here it is:

All electric, PID and PWM controlled. 5500w BK and 1500w heat exchanger.

IMG_03154.jpg

Well the time has finally come. I can add my own rig to the thread. I finished most everything on the rig tonight. It is functionally done. I can do wet tests this weekend hopefully and then next week sometime. Brew my first beer. I think I am going to do a dunkel. If you want to see more pictures of the build. I have link to the thread in my signature.......Well here it is:

All electric, PID and PWM controlled. 5500w BK and 1500w heat exchanger.

I think more pics of that are going to be needed.

Yeah I took some rubber toolbox "carpet" anti slip stuff. Folded it over a few times and wrapped in duct tape. I am hoping it will cut down on vibration noise in the frame.

I plan to hid everything even more. In the picture with the pump you can see tabs welded around the frame. I am going to screw a panel on both sides to hide it. I am also going to fasten a panel behind the heat exchanger to hide the tubes behind it. Those are not necessary for brewing so I will do that after testing and I am sure nothing needs moved or changed.

Those More Beer sculptures sure are nice. That's probably the route I would go as I'm not a welder. Bookoo bucks though at over $2 large.
I remember seeing a video of Stone Brewing company and they actually use a More Beer single tier for test batches. Cool.

Finally the rig is done and actually has one quick porter through it already. Only took 9 months! Thanks to all the members (to many to mention) for the all the help along the way! This Sunday I will be having at least 25 family and friends over for the first "official" brew day. I'll post picture of the first brew day after the weekend, but for now here is the rig. I still have some finishing touches here and there yet to go. And for those who where concerned of the aluminum frame warping or melting....the hottest the frame got at any point was just shy of 400 degrees.
3012ety.jpg

1syvdj.jpg

jfvq4y.jpg

Re-post: with the big camera.

I put the insulation on permanently. Cleaned it up a bit and now it is finally finished. This is what it looked like before brewing on it today. First brew. Robust Porter. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I had bunch of issues. Stuck mash. Throwing out the homemade false bottom and ordering a good one tomorrow. Temp probe/thermomometer for the mash tun started reading 191 after about 20 minutes of mash @ 154. Now it reads 138 in the open air in my 40 degree garage. Got my desired volume and hit my mark,16 brix though. I guess I will just need to wait it out. Anyway, here is a picture of my baby.

Rig.jpg

One day I will finish the bar. My friend says he can make a system work that will blow flames out the ends.:D Gotta add some flare and parlor tricks to your rig

finishedfornow.jpg

I made this monstrosity out of old bed frames. While the material was cheap (free), the metal is very hard, which made the construction difficult. I started by drilling and bolting, but after a few worn out drill bits I welded the rest together. I love it! The stand has made my brew day easier and shorter. My next move is to plumb the water up to the top of the HLT, which will pass through a filter. Many future additions to come.

yeah, beds are high carbon steel... they know what goes on in 'em! but a plus.. when you weld it up, it'll hold a small block chevy.
chebbie's AKA boat anchors they weigh more than SB and BB Ford engines side by side. Oops my past chebbie engine failures coming back. Maybe bed frames are made from old chebbie blocks?
Yeah bed frames are made of melted crap for metal with hard spots and carbon that will destroy bits, welding this crap metal is bad enough. Your not dealing with 4130 alloy here. Sorry not to start a pissing war with chebbie them folks.

you must be talkin cast iron... ford has schitty trans shift points, and no cross platform compatibility, where sbc's can trade almost everything. as you can see, i'm chevy and dodge. every engine ever made has good and bad to it.

4130 is the shiznit, but does best when you tig it. i got 71 feet of 1" od tube that i don't want to waste. was gonna be a roll cage.

you must be talkin cast iron... ford has schitty trans shift points, and no cross platform compatibility, where sbc's can trade almost everything. as you can see, i'm chevy and dodge. every engine ever made has good and bad to it.

4130 is the shiznit, but does best when you tig it. i got 71 feet of 1" od tube that i don't want to waste. was gonna be a roll cage.

You haven't been around the FE seies I see, about every combination of parts swaps out from a 332 to a 520".
Roll cage at 1" for what a ATV under 45 mph? When did NHRA drop to this small diameter unless the 100 mph or less 1/4 mile chevette .993 litre 3 cylinse Suzuki class?
As I stated no pissing wars bro, had Dodge, Chrysler, Chevy, Ford, Rambler, well AMX, Scramblers and Javelins. Spanked my two friends so called hot 65 442 Olds and friends 65 Goat with the Rambler alone. The 63 Galaxie 427 tunnel port was a street destroyer, blown 392 to catch me. I see your only 25 years old, this 57 year old went thru the great era of the HP wars you've sadly missed. A FE diehard here when 1/3 the price any chebbie can be had but then at 473K miles i'm still running the same motor hard. The 69 PU passed 1 million miles 3 years ago about time for the second motor to be pulled. My Vette diehard friend owns 11 of them, 350's by 90-100K are all shot. Sorry not to mess up this OP with past failed vehicle brands. PM me for fun as life begins at 600 ft/lbs tq NA.

Roll cage aty 1"for what a ATV under 45 mph? When did NHRA drop to this small diameter unless the 100 mph or less 1/4 mile chevette .993 litre 3 cylinse Suzuki class?
PM me for fun as life begins at 600 ft/lbs tq NA.

:off:

nah, it was for autocross gt class (honda crx 100hp and a whopping 90tq in 1750#!). but silly me i didn't read the rule book or i would have seen 1.25" MINIMUM. if i had another 327, i'd probably do something stupid and get hurt.

OK, back on topic engine boys.
And to be on topic, my original AG "setup":)
Just to show you don't need fancy to make good beer. That's my old dirtbike stand supporting my kettle and burner. safety first.
My_Ghettoa_setup.jpg

OK, back on topic engine boys.
And to be on topic, my original AG "setup":)
Just to show you don't need fancy to make good beer. That's my old dirtbike stand supporting my kettle and burner. safety first.
My_Ghettoa_setup.jpg

Just to reiterate that point. My first setup.

IMG_5702.JPG

fancy measuring cup

IMG_5701.JPG

upgraded boil pot

P1050701.JPG

Recently and still working on mash tun

P1050698.JPG

I posted this yesterday.
finishedfornow.jpg

I made this monstrosity out of old bed frames. While the material was cheap (free), the metal is very hard, which made the construction difficult. I started by drilling and bolting, but after a few worn out drill bits I welded the rest together. I love it! The stand has made my brew day easier and shorter. My next move is to plumb the water up to the top of the HLT, which will pass through a filter. Many future additions to come.

Took about 6 weeks to plan and build her, been waiting to post in here:

KILL-A-WATT 9000 Electric Brewery (100% constructed in my dining room)

15G Kettles
9000W Electric BK
9000W Electric RIMS Heater
Full Wireless BCS Control
All Stainless
TriClamp fittings
50' 1/2" OD SS Removable Chiller

P1030824.JPG

P1030823.JPG

RIMS:
P1030792.JPG

SSRs:
P1030791.JPG

Pumps:
P1030784.JPG

Inside BK:
P1030671.JPG

Inside MLT:
P1030649.JPG

50' Chiller:
P1030639.JPG

Control:
BCSshot3.bmp

Ok....

You win

It is pretty impressive that it was built entirely indoors. That is why welding was out :D SWMBO had to deal with A LOT of parts and tools clogging up the dining room this past month.

That is some serious bling, Pol! Looks really, really nice. Have you brewed with it yet? How much deadspace do you have in those kettles?

Back