Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have to run the wires into the water tight fittings, maybe another week or so before I am Sous Vide cooking with it, maybe a month before I brew on it.

Finished the fabrication today, just a couple wires to send through the fittings.

There is a custom graphic that does go across the front, plus some custom warning labels for high voltage, hot kettles and such, to keep those who can read, safe. Those who cannot, have other issues. ;)

As for the brass fitting, unfortunately that is part of the BCS thermistor.

The stand would have been over $1k, but I had a friend help me out with it and he kept it in the $200 range. Otherwise it was going to be mild steel and a powder coat.

sophiawinford.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to resize

Anyone have opinions on gas / propane manifold placement? for convenience this one looks about perfect but I am concerned with the heat in that area (I will be using 3 banjo burners).....thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks
Vince

Anyone have opinions on gas / propane manifold placement? for convenience this one looks about perfect but I am concerned with the heat in that area (I will be using 3 banjo burners).....thoughts / suggestions?

I think it is doable if planned well... but if not planned well I think it's a bad idea :).

If you're not doing a gas beam it should be pretty simple to do a trial run after you get your stand constructed and see how hot it gets. If it gets super hot just move it down. It's not like you're manipulating those valves really often anyhow.

Thanks
Vince

I would add heat shields around those burners, keep an eye on the flame preventing it from backing up below the shields or going beyond the keg skirts. You would need holes or a gap above these shields to not cause the flame to be trapped in a pocket this would blow back into the burners knocking out the flame itself. Like a propane torch when heating in a corner or pocket the blowback knocks the flame out. A hot gas line is not a worry as there's no oxygen to combust within the line, maybe a half round heat shield 12" in diameter behind each gas valve to protect the valves and plastic handles. BTY, where did you get those casters, rather slick large diameter for easy rolling over uneven cement? Looks like MoPar green like the Crazy Grape they had years ago a clean sharp looking rig.
One question, any pump priming problems with having the inlet and outlet on the bottom od the pump vs rotating it 180 degrees to remove the air pocket?

I would add heat shields around those burners, keep an eye on the flame preventing it from backing up below the shields or going beyond the keg skirts. You would need holes or a gap above these shields to not cause the flame to be trapped in a pocket this would blow back into the burners knocking out the flame itself. Like a propane torch when heating in a corner or pocket the blowback knocks the flame out. A hot gas line is not a worry as there's no oxygen to combust within the line, maybe a half round heat shield 12" in diameter behind each gas valve to protect the valves and plastic handles. BTY, where did you get those casters, rather slick large diameter for easy rolling over uneven cement? Looks like MoPar green like the Crazy Grape they had years ago a clean sharp looking rig.
One question, any pump priming problems with having the inlet and outlet on the bottom od the pump vs rotating it 180 degrees to remove the air pocket?

thats not my rig....it's this guys:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/#post460202

okay so I have been brewing for over 20 years and have been on hiatus for around 5..(divorce...new house etc...) and now I decide to go to a homebrew meeting 2 months ago at Iron Hill, Maple Shade NJ (this is a brand new club).....these guys got my brewing juices flowing...especially now with the bulk group buys for hops and grain, yeast from local breweries....natural gas instead of propane.....brewing has gotten extremely economical.... 2 months later and I have this in my garage. The frame was welded by the brother of one of the guys in the club, very reasonable prices too if anyone interested (south NJ area):

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

stand4.jpg

stand5.jpg

I have the stand designed on google sketchup so I'll post the file later

I'm very impressed as well. Can we at least get the specs to drool over?

Sure can! This is Morebeer's 2050 w/tippy dump. 26 gallon vessels, no automation, single pump. HLT on the bottom, MT on the top, and kettle right there in front. The heat rising up from the HLT on the bottom keeps the MT temps right where you want it.

Full false bottom in the MT and the kettle. HLT has a sight glass. Brew Thermometer & SS QDs on all vessels. The tippy dump rocks! Put a large trashcan underneath the shoot and dump away. Spent grain removal in .5 seconds :D

I built a clone of Sabcos chill wizard and can chill 21 gallons from boiling to 70 in 11 minutes all while its being oxygenated and racked into a Blichmann 27 gallon conical.

This was the initial run, so like any other rig there were a few hiccups. But overall the whole day was great and I'll only shave more time off each run after. Pics of the rest of my setup are in my gallery, but here are a few from yesterday's session

Here is the mash recirc. 35 lbs of grain really make a nice filter and the runnings clear right up within 10 minutes
Brewday_059.JPG

This is right before the hot break. 26 gallon kettle mind you, so Im sitting right at 24 gallons pre boil to compensate for evap losses.
Brewday_069.JPG

And here is a quarter pound Cascade flavor addition @ 15 minutes
Brewday_078.JPG

Sure can! This is Morebeer's 2050 w/tippy dump. 26 gallon vessels, no automation, single pump. HLT on the bottom, MT on the top, and kettle right there in front. The heat rising up from the HLT on the bottom keeps the MT temps right where you want it.

Full false bottom in the MT and the kettle. HLT has a sight glass. Brew Thermometer & SS QDs on all vessels. The tippy dump rocks! Put a large trashcan underneath the shoot and dump away. Spent grain removal in .5 seconds :D

I built a clone of Sabcos chill wizard and can chill 21 gallons from boiling to 70 in 11 minutes all while its being oxygenated and racked into a Blichmann 27 gallon conical.
Nice! Thanks for filling us in. I actually went and stalked your threads after posing the question, that is some really neat gear!

I actually bookmarked your thread about cloning the chill wizard and the thing is fantastic. I bookmarked it for when I get around to doing a build, so dong you dare take those photos down ;)

Someday I'll be able to afford all these toys (conical, dream brew system, etc.) and from there on itll just be :rockin::rockin::tank:

photo2.jpg

My ghetto-fabulous 100% scrap wood 3-tier system. I built this in 4 hours with wood I found in the garage attic left by the previous owner (I know, it looks like that's what I did too!).

I still need to put something under the HLT to keep it from catching fire. I've got some metal cabinet doors that I'll probably use up in that attic...

photo2.jpg

My ghetto-fabulous 100% scrap wood 3-tier system. I built this in 4 hours with wood I found in the garage attic left by the previous owner (I know, it looks like that's what I did too!).

I still need to put something under the HLT to keep it from catching fire. I've got some metal cabinet doors that I'll probably use up in that attic...

Form follows function.:mug:

All too often we get caught up in the "it has too look nice, too be nice". If it makes the beer that you like too drink........then it rocks.

photo2.jpg

I love seeing these stands. It's what us normal people have but just don't get posted.

Here's my new rig. Not the best picture. Still need to clean up some of the mess outside my shop from building :).

Brewing an Amber on a rainy day. Recirculating mash through the HERMS coil.

a1f6bc1dfc82920f37fff6fe87aa0153.jpg

Took about 6 weeks to plan and build her, been waiting to post in here:

KILL-A-WATT 9000 Electric Brewery (100% constructed in my dining room)

15G Kettles
9000W Electric BK
9000W Electric RIMS Heater
Full Wireless BCS Control
All Stainless
TriClamp fittings
50' 1/2" OD SS Removable Chiller

P1030824.JPG

P1030823.JPG

RIMS:
P1030792.JPG

SSRs:
P1030791.JPG

Pumps:
P1030784.JPG

Inside BK:
P1030671.JPG

Inside MLT:
P1030649.JPG

50' Chiller:
P1030639.JPG

Control:
BCSshot3.bmp

And we have a Winner!!!! Sick dude, Sick! I love it.

Latest posts

Back