Tasted Beer 5 Days After Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckrox8

Reaction score
The usual time to wait to taste is three weeks I guess. I couldn't wait and tried my brew today only 5 days after bottling. It didn't taste very good. I was brewing a Fat Tire Clone and it tasted a little like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Will the taste change as the beer ages in the next 2 1/2 weeks?

Did it actually taste bad, or not what you were expecting?

It will change in taste over the next few weeks, and even beyond. I have beer that a few months old that tastes a bit different than it did at three weeks. Depends on alot of things but the taste will develop.

Some beers taste great out of the bottle at five days, some not.

Even if it doesn't turn out exactly like the Fat Tire Clone, it still might end up being a good beer.

Chuckrox8 said:
The usual time to wait to taste is three weeks I guess. I couldn't wait and tried my brew today only 5 days after bottling. It didn't taste very good. I was brewing a Fat Tire Clone and it tasted a little like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Will the taste change as the beer ages in the next 2 1/2 weeks?

This could be bad if you don't like SNPA but otherwise, it's not a bad mark to hit. Clone brewing, I've heard (never felt the urge to try it), is at best an inexact art. I think the folks at Sierra Nevada would feel pretty low if they knew you thought their flagship brew "didn't taste very good."

Your beer should taste very different after additional weeks (or months) have gone by.

Chuckrox8 said:

There's a reason we say to wait three weeks, and it's not (only) for carbonation. I've said this a million times, but it bears repeating: you'll never understand how much beer changes over time until you taste it for yourself. Drinking one early was actually an excellent idea. Have another one in a week, and then every week from here until it's ready. The bottom line is that if you have the patience to wait it out before you start drinking it regularly, you'll be glad you did.

Hah. I had one at week 1. Almost completely flat! I had one at week 2. Better, but I was disappointed. This weekend is week 3. My first brew will be READY on sunday. I'm looking forward to trying it. I hope that everyone is right :)

Yes, it was the AHS clone kit. I should have gone a little more into detail. It tasted like a really flat and bad SNPA. SNPA is a great beer and I like it a lot. I won't be disappointed if it ends up tasting like a good pale ale. I won't have to pay $14 for a 12 pack. I'll post a follow up when I try my brew again in 2 weeks. 15 Days. Hope it turns out well. It sure did smell damn good going into the bottles.

Wow I'm replying to a really old post of mine but I have had no time to brew in the last year. The Fat Tire Clone Kit from AHS actually turned out quite well. The Sierra Nevada taste left the beer. While the beer didn't end up tasting exactly like Fat Tire I actually enjoyed much more! Amazing thing about home brew eh. The beer actually tasted exactly like a North Coast Red Seal Ale that I had this summer. I remember not buying the premium white labs yeast but instead going for the cheaper yeast. I assume that had a lot to do with the end product. I definitely recommend the kit though.

Latest posts

Back