Urgent... Do gals actually like getting lingerie for Christmas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkeeg

Reaction score
Don't know who else to ask, so I guess you guys are as good as anyone...

Honest question... is lingerie a real gift? I am totally stuck for good xmas ideas ... I couldn't find a few things that would have been PERFECT. Aaaaand of course I'm a guy so now it's the last minute. Realistically... it's not very useful ... maybe it makes her feel objectified ... and hopefully... I receive as much (or more?) satisfaction from it than she would. I have a few other little things for her (like a 6 of belgian lambics...) ... can I throw a sexy little thing in as well? I know she'd look gorgeous in it.

Hmmm.

Maybe this should go in the "drunken ramblings" section...

I think we need to see pictures of her in previous lingerie gifts to be sure, that is the only way to tell. That or at least revealing pictures of her so we can decide if this would be an appropriate gift for her, but be quick about it because like you say time is short.

If she's anything like my SWMBO, she would probably prefer some nice warm soft pajamas.

The lingerie thing can be fun and all, but it rarely comes out, and unless the gal in question has a lot of confidence in her body and self image, it can make her feel self conscious. Plus she'll use the pajamas all the time when the weather is cool.

my 2 cents

If she's anything like my SWMBO, she would probably prefer some nice warm soft pajamas.

The lingerie thing can be fun and all, but it rarely comes out, and unless the gal in question has a lot of confidence in her body and self image, it can make her feel self conscious. Plus she'll use the pajamas all the time when the weather is cool.

my 2 cents

That is why we need pictures!! :ban:

Another quick gift idea: Ticket Master gift certificate...you can buy it online, so it is quick and simple.

The best thing is, from a chick's perspective, is that she gets to pick the show/game/event/concert and you are obligated to go. She doesn't have to feel guilty about dragging you to it...after all you got it "for her". So she gets the warm fuzzy message that "Oh, look, he wants to spend TIME with me", which is a can't-lose, PLUS she gets to have some control over it, which, honestly, almost all women, really, crave. :)

Disclaimer: I'm allowed to say these things because I, too, am female. Don't any of you boys DARE say this **** or you'll be in trouble. Consider this post just a gift of insider knowledge.

a Bra would be much more useful then lingerie would. depends on the relationship you have with said "Gal", but in my pre-marriage experience I've never had a girl surprise me with lingerie.

-=Jason=-

my 2 cents

Yup, I did some shopping at victoria's secret for christmas.....to the comfy pjs section. ;)

I've found that for lingerie, it's funner to go together and "play dress up" go to the store and pick something out together, especially if it's a place that allows couple in dressing rooms. It can be hot.

Doing that on a "date night" can be awesome and hot. But I think the involuntary picking out and giving of a piece of lingerie can be a little awkward. What if you pick out something she thinks is too slutty for her tastes?

As a SWMBO I would love to get a gift cert from a NICE spa and I say NICE because guys those nail salons facials don't count. (Unless she gets her nails done at one and then make SURE you get a cert for the one she goes to.)

I would further suggest you get her a denominational gift cert, and not a specific "facial and 30 minute massage" one. That way she can get whatever package she wants.

Just my $0.02

Checked with the wife.. since asking a bunch of horn dogs on a beer forum isn't the way to get the female perspective. She said lingerie can be fun, but it's really a gift for YOU not the gal. I've successfully bought fuzzy cute PJs for my wife and she has been very appreciative.

Pictures are required before I can offer any more assistance.

Edit: Stephm excepted, sorry I do lose perspective and think EVERYONE on here is a guy.

I am intrigued by this non-lingerie bra of which you speak.

At first I was gonna snicker and agree, then something occurred to me.

Isn't technically a bra underwear? But if it has nipple holes, and is pared with crotchless panties and garter belts, THEN it is lingerie?

It's all in the context eh? :fro:

From dictionary.com:

lin·ge·rie   

1. underwear, sleepwear, and other items of intimate apparel worn by women.

2. Archaic . linen goods in general.

–adjective
3. having the qualities of lingerie; lacy or frilly.

Looks like underwear is lingerie, so a bra is lingerie if underwear. So glad we've got this cleared up.

From dictionary.com:

lin·ge·rie   

1. underwear, sleepwear, and other items of intimate apparel worn by women.

2. Archaic . linen goods in general.

–adjective
3. having the qualities of lingerie; lacy or frilly.

Looks like underwear is lingerie, so a bra is lingerie if underwear. So glad we've got this cleared up.

Nah, I don't think we can quite clear this up without pictures....;)

Yes, the main question remains unanswered, and can only be properly addressed if the OP supplies pictures.

Hmmm... You know, the advice is kinda secondary to the fact that this thread is now officially FUN.

I'm not sure I could get away with giving in to the requests for pictures. Maybe could find one of her with a mash paddle? Starting a siphon?

In short, NO. No we don't like getting lingerie as a gift, especially from our guys. (Bachelorette parties give you lingerie, which is fun).

The lingerie isn't for us, it's for you.

Now, warm fleece or flannel PJs are great. I got a beautiful cotton set last year for Christmas. They were Woolrich and over $100 and I practically wore them out already.

I love "cuddly" things- a cashmere throw was my all-time favorite gift, but a cashmere scarf or small item is great too. Only give clothes if it's a cashmere sweater- that's a rule. I'm always cold, so Bob sometimes gives me gifts like nice silk longjohns or beautiful wool socks or shearling lined hats or slippers.

But no. Don't give lingerie.

Or even a picture BEFORE she acquired said lingerie. Just saying.....

Panties.

In short, NO. No we don't like getting lingerie as a gift, especially from our guys. (Bachelorette parties give you lingerie, which is fun).

The lingerie isn't for us, it's for you.

Now, warm fleece or flannel PJs are great. I got a beautiful cotton set last year for Christmas. They were Woolrich and over $100 and I practically wore them out already.

I love "cuddly" things- a cashmere throw was my all-time favorite gift, but a cashmere scarf or small item is great too. Only give clothes if it's a cashmere sweater- that's a rule. I'm always cold, so Bob sometimes gives me gifts like nice silk longjohns or beautiful wool socks or shearling lined hats or slippers.

But no. Don't give lingerie.

Buzz-killer.

Dude go with an item called hanky pankys I was a hero for getting a bunch of these! HERO! SWMBO was pleased and the hour long modeling show was EPIC!

I've been married to the same woman for 31 years. She's most happy when out of her panties.:D Or at least, I am.

Well ok then, how about you show us pictures of the lingerie you want to buy her?? Maybe lay them on the bed positiond as if they were on her? We will take anything to try and help you. :D

I'm with everyone else, how can we make an assessment without pics?

Well ok then, how about you show us pictures of the lingerie you want to buy her?? Maybe lay them on the bed positiond as if they were on her? We will take anything to try and help you. :D

Yeah yeah do this ! Maybe you put them on and model them....wait....what!?

Lingerie is for Valentine's Day - or, as Revvy said, as a component of date night. In my experience, a girl will better appreciate lingerie if you take her shopping for it "spontaneously" - she'll feel like you want her, that she deserves some fancy expensive stuff that serves no "reasonable" purpose, and it will set the mood for the conclusion of date night.

Walk into the nicest spa in the area tomorrow, ask how much the facial/manicure/pedicure package is, and get her a gift card for $25 more than that so she can get some lotion or something on the way out. Wrap it up under a box of fancy chocolates, some smelly bath oil, real warm pj's, or something like that, and let Christmas be merry.

...BTW...

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

walk into the nicest spa in the area tomorrow, ask how much the facial/manicure/pedicure package is, and get her a gift card for $25 more than that so she can get some lotion or something on the way out. Wrap it up under a box of fancy chocolates, some smelly bath oil, real warm pj's, or something like that, and let christmas be merry.

good answer

Prost for Pernox's answer.

:mug:

Ditto. Sounds like Pernox has done this before.

:ban: :D

Really though, giving a gift that lets her completely disappear into an oblivion of nice smells, pleasant feelings of girliness, and some very relaxing handling by a professional and well-trained staff of other women who know what she's feeling like... Can't go wrong with that. You show that you put her comfort #1, that she's WORTH letting go of for a few hours so she can really detach and re-center herself.. Which will more likely than not give the exact effect that the lingerie was intended to in the first place; a feeling of sexiness and a want to thank you for being so thoughtful. In short, you'll accomplish two things; first (and most importantly) you'll make your girl feel like she's the most important thing in the world. Second, you'll likely be very pleased when she decides to thank you for it.

I have gone both the lingerie route and the comfy PJs route.

With the lingerie it was a very nice, tasteful corset she had been eying for years so I knew she would like it. She also wears corsets as clubwear when she goes out, so it wasn't just a "bedroom" gift.

With the PJs I got her a pair of those fleece footie pajamas, which she had also mentioned wanting, but was unable to find in adult sizes. It's gotten alot more wear than the corset (which is still nice, in fact she wore it to our company Xmas party).

I'd say it really depends on the woman in question. Does she wear sexy lingerie normally?

Back