Spike System (20 gal) Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for you spike system owners

Can anyone tell me how to the hop matter filtration/whirlpool works with a hoppy IPA (6+ Oz in the whirlpool)?

Do you use any kind of a hop filter or dam? Does the stock whirlpool keep your CFC from clogging?

Never had an issue with it clogging. Whirlpool does a pretty good job piling crap up in the center.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Have any of the 20 gal mash tun users done a small grain bill 6 gallon batch? I have a recipe that i just made that had only a 9lb grain bill and am wondering if you guys had real world experience with something similar. I did ask Spike what their min/max grain bill is for the 20 gal tun, they said they "estimate" 15 min to 40 lbs max. I am leaning toward the 15 gal pot because of this, but don't want to cut myself short in case I want to make a big beer. Any help is appreciated!

Sorry to revive an old thread. Have any of the 20 gal mash tun users done a small grain bill 6 gallon batch? I have a recipe that i just made that had only a 9lb grain bill and am wondering if you guys had real world experience with something similar. I did ask Spike what their min/max grain bill is for the 20 gal tun, they said they "estimate" 15 min to 40 lbs max. I am leaning toward the 15 gal pot because of this, but don't want to cut myself short in case I want to make a big beer. Any help is appreciated!

When I had discussions with Spike years ago, they basically said the same thing. You can make "big beer" just as easy in a 15 gal, but of course it depends upon your batch size and how big the ABV you are trying to achieve.

If you routinely brew 5-6 gallon batches, the 15 gallon MT is plenty even for a high ABV recipe. You might even get by with their 10 gallon MT. It really comes down to what you are brewing. From the sounds of it, the 20 gal MT would be way too large....

For my situation, I decided I would primarily brew 10 batches typically with a higher ABV. So I went with a 20 gallon MT. My grain bill typically is anywhere from 32-38 lbs.

When I had discussions with Spike years ago, they basically said the same thing. You can make "big beer" just as easy in a 15 gal, but of course it depends upon your batch size and how big the ABV you are trying to achieve.

If you routinely brew 5-6 gallon batches, the 15 gallon MT is plenty even for a high ABV recipe. You might even get by with their 10 gallon MT. It really comes down to what you are brewing. From the sounds of it, the 20 gal MT would be way too large....

For my situation, I decided I would primarily brew 10 batches typically with a higher ABV. So I went with a 20 gallon MT. My grain bill typically is anywhere from 32-38 lbs.
About half the batches I brew are 6 gal and the other half 10 gal. I made a scotch ale last year with a 32 lb grain bill. They said they "estimate" that the min/max for the 15 gal spike tun is 8 - 30 lbs. I mash in a 15.5 gal keggle now and didnt have any issues with the scotch ale, but am not sure if the extra half gallon made the difference in me being able to fit all that grain in it. My memory is a bit fuzzy but i don't remember it being maxed out. I am leaning toward the 15 gallon and I guess I could just make 6 gallon batches of the bigger beers, and 10 gallon batches of lower ABV beer.. Decisions. Decisions...

About half the batches I brew are 6 gal and the other half 10 gal. I made a scotch ale last year with a 32 lb grain bill. They said they "estimate" that the min/max for the 15 gal spike tun is 8 - 30 lbs. I mash in a 15.5 gal keggle now and didnt have any issues with the scotch ale, but am not sure if the extra half gallon made the difference in me being able to fit all that grain in it. My memory is a bit fuzzy but i don't remember it being maxed out. I am leaning toward the 15 gallon and I guess I could just make 6 gallon batches of the bigger beers, and 10 gallon batches of lower ABV beer.. Decisions. Decisions...

Ok, just a couple of thoughts. With the new information, the 10 gallon MT is out. So, if the 15.5 gallon keggle was working, why the thinking on the 20 gallon MT? Say, the extra .5 gallon makes a difference in height of 1/2"-3/4"....that doesn't seem much that would require you to increase the MT from 15g to 20g.

I think you already made a case for you to buy the 15 gallon MT. But, if you want to make sure and if you have grain on hand, make I high ABV recipe (really only using your base grain) and add the grain to your current 15.5 g keggle and see where the height is.....

Again, it sounds like the 15 gallon would be perfect...

Ok, just a couple of thoughts. With the new information, the 10 gallon MT is out. So, if the 15.5 gallon keggle was working, why the thinking on the 20 gallon MT? Say, the extra .5 gallon makes a difference in height of 1/2"-3/4"....that doesn't seem much that would require you to increase the MT from 15g to 20g.

I think you already made a case for you to buy the 15 gallon MT. But, if you want to make sure and if you have grain on hand, make I high ABV recipe (really only using your base grain) and add the grain to your current 15.5 g keggle and see where the height is.....

Again, it sounds like the 15 gallon would be perfect...

Agreed, i was just wishfully thinking someone had tried a low grain bill with the big MT, maybe i could brew a 15 gallon batch if i got a wild hair.. thanks for your help.

I use 20 gallon spike kettles for my HERMS system and have occasionally made lower gravity 5 gallon batches. It works fine, provided your element in the brew kettle is low enough. You could also do a no-sparge batch and save a little time.

On the other side, 45 lbs of grain and a thickness of 1.25 qt/lb gives around 1-2 inches of space for a 10 gallon (actually 11-12) batch of imperial stout.

I think the 20 gallon system provides a lot of flexibility, but I mostly do 10 gallon batches.

I use 20 gallon spike kettles for my HERMS system and have occasionally made lower gravity 5 gallon batches. It works fine, provided your element in the brew kettle is low enough. You could also do a no-sparge batch and save a little time.

On the other side, 45 lbs of grain and a thickness of 1.25 qt/lb gives around 1-2 inches of space for a 10 gallon (actually 11-12) batch of imperial stout.

I think the 20 gallon system provides a lot of flexibility, but I mostly do 10 gallon batches.
Nice! I have a 20 gal spike boil kettle (and 20 gal hlt with herms coil) and have no problem with 5-6 gallon batches, so I'm good there. Any idea the size of your lowest grain bill with the 20gal MT?

I quick look showed around 12 lbs for the smallest grain bill. I don't recall any issues when I made it.

Best of luck. I plan for 5 gallons packaged, after kettle, chiller and fermenter losses.

Back