Spike System (20 gal) Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that there is another thread started about the Spike System and someone else's impressions of it. When I posted in this thread about receiving the system, someone asked me to post up a review on it. I just completed my 4th batch on the system, so here goes...

Quality of parts / Packaging
All of the parts are really high quality. The only complaint I had with any of the parts was the quality of the table that came with it. They charge $500 for the table and when I got mine, the "socket" that one of the legs fits into was about 3/8" out of square with the table itself. I was able to make it work by leaving that leg loose, attaching the bottom shelf to the legs, and then tightening the leg in the socket afterwards. Spike does not manufacture the table, they source those from another company. I emailed Spike to let them know of the issue and even though I told them that I didn't want anything, they still compensated me for it and made it right.

As far as packaging goes, everything was packaged together nicely. Everything you needed for each part or kettle was all in a nice little package. The right amount of gaskets and clamps needed for each kettle was all packaged inside each kettle so there was no guessing how many you needed or trying to find parts in another box for the kettle you're working on. For how many parts there are with this system, the packaging was done very nicely. I think including the table, there was 5 boxes.

Installation and Assembly
Installation and assembly was pretty straight forward. If you print off the product guide and use that as a visual when putting everything together, you can get through it pretty easily. The only thing that I think could be improved upon is the instructions for the HERMS coil. They give you the fittings, the coil, and the gaskets, but they don't tell you where the gaskets go. Common sense would tell you that the gaskets go inside the fitting but getting them in there is a pain in the but. Some instructions and tips on how to do that would help.

I did have a guy reach out to me via Instagram asking where these gaskets go. He sent me the attached picture of the HERMS fitting with the gasket on the outside of it and asked for help. I had to explain to him that the gasket goes inside the end of the fitting (blue arrow) inside a groove about where the red line is at (see picture with blue arrow and red line). So, for some people, the placement of the gasket isn't as easy to figure out. This is why I suggest instructions or tips on how to do this.

Using the System - HLT
Pretty straight forward, no issues here. Just make sure that the HERMS coil is pushed into the fittings ALL THE WAY, before your brew day. If you push it in until it comes to a stop, you're not all the way in. You need to push it past that first stop which is the gasket. Once you feel that, then you're in all the way.

Using the MT
The MT is pretty simple to use. When you first dough in, it takes a few minutes for the water to get through the grain and below the false bottom for the dip tube to pick it up. Probably takes almost 5 minutes before you can turn on the pump and get recirculation going. I've learned this the hard way and had quite a bit of dry run time on my wort pump already...

The other key thing to note about the MT is controlling the flow of recirculation. I was first trying to do this with the big black handled ball valve at the recirculation port on the MT. This doesn't work well because that valve is not designed for precise control of flow. You need to use the 3 piece ball valve located right at the out flow of the pump. This valve gives precise control over the flow. Should have been common sense but took me 1 brew day to figure this out.

The only other thing about the MT that I need to get used to is temperatures. The temp probe for the MT is located at the drain port. So it's measuring temp of wort leaving the MT. As it's re-entering the MT, it's going through the 2ft section of silicone tubing that Spike recommends using and back into the grain bed. What I'm noticing is that this seems to cause uneven temps throughout the grain bed. The hot wort is coming back through but it's really only going to one spot. If you check that one spot in the grain bed, it'll be pretty close to your HLT temp but if you check other spots in the grain bed, it varies. I've seen variance of about 8-10 degrees throughout. I think there are a couple of solutions to this
- Go with the SS Brewtech manifold where recirculation touches the entire grain bed or
- Get some sort of circular pie plate or pan, pop a bunch of small holes in it, set that on top of the grain bed with the recirculation hose laid inside it and let the wort fall through those holes.
The other observation is that the wort coming out of the drain port (where the temp probe is) usually measures about 6-7 degrees lower than what the grain bed actually measures. I do not know a solution for this. It's been my understanding that the temp of the grain bed is what matters, not the temp of the worth coming out of the MT drain...? So I've been basing my temps and what not off of the grain bed, not relying on the MT drain temp probe.

Using the BK
Really nothing worth noting on here. The boil kettle is pretty straight forward. This does generate A LOT more steam than I anticipated. I don't have a hood over this system so for now, I have 3 doors in the room I brew in and I open all 3 to get good air flow in to evacuate the steam. Really need to investigate a hood or the steam slayer from Brew Hardware.

Using the Counterflow Chiller
The counterflow chiller is pretty nice. On 7.5 gallons of wort, it chills it to pitching temps in about 12 minutes with running the output of the chiller back through the whirlpool valve on the kettle. The videos all show people running the counterflow chiller directly into their fermenter. However, I've been under the assumption that cold break is generally wanted to be left in the kettle. If you go right from the chiller to the fermenter, you get all of the cold break in the fermenter, no? So why would you NOT want to recirculate from the chiller output back into the kettle until you're at pitching temp?

The only other thing worth noting is the amount of loss by using the counterflow chiller. I've learned that I need to target 7.5 gallons post boil to end up with about 6 gallons in the fermenter. Not sure if there's a way to save all of the wort left behind in hoses and the chiller. I've tried and so far, can't say I've been successful.

Cleaning (CIP?)
Cleaning this system has been the biggest headache and learning curve...

The HLT is simple. No wort is in there so really all you have to do is tilt it with the water pump running to get almost all of the water out and then 1 rag will soak up the rest of the water left in.

The MT is a pain in the butt. There's really no way to CIP this vessel, not that I've found anyway. You pretty much have to disconnect it, shovel out the grains, and wash and dry by hand. There's something like .32 gallons of dead space in there that you can't get at with a CIP cycle and you can't get it without taking the false bottom out and you can't get the false bottom out without pulling the drain port off. All in all, I've decided that this vessel just needs to be cleaned by hand. (What may make this easier is getting a BIAB bag for this vessel. This will allow you to pull out all of the grains easily instead of shoveling them out)

The BK is easy to clean in place. Buy a large scrub brush and pump some cleaners through the chiller, the drain port of the BK and the whirlpool port, then pump that into a bucket and you're done.

Conclusion
All in all, this is a great system. The brew day up until cleaning is much easier and smoother. It was nice to purchase 1 package and have everything I need instead of trying to piece together a system. It's definitely a hefty price tag. Had I wanted to wait a bit, it might have been beneficial to wait for SSBT's 3V 20 gal system to come out this month. I think it'll be cheaper that Spike's. Cleaning will definitely add some time. My brew days went from 5 hours using the old cooler mash tun and 1 kettle to 7 hours with this system. On my 4th batch this past Sunday, I got it down to 6 hours and I hope to improve on that yet.

Takeaway's
Make sure HERMS coil is installed properly. Push past the first "stop", you should feel it pop in.
2. Temps in MT seem inconsistent. Recirculation should be spread over the whole grain bed, not just one spot. SSBT recirculation manifold or pie tin with holes may help? Temp coming out of drain on MT is usually 6-7*F cooler than what the grain bed measures. Grain bed temp more important...?
3. Plan for an extra 1.5 gallons post boil for hose and chiller loss. Not sure how to save this...?
4. CIP really isn't possible on MT from my experience. This vessel is just easier to manually clean during the boil. BIAB bag to make grain removal easier...?

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions about the system that I didn't touch on, feel free to ask.

20190218_130640.jpg
20190219_134532.jpg
20190211_181905.jpg
20190310_085342.jpg

CIP is certainly just impossible with a mash tun. I think most people agree that hand scooping out grain, removing the false bottom, and cleaning by hand is just about required. One thing you should certainly invest in now that you have a 3 vessel system is a good shop vac, a source of water for cleaning, and a place to drain. I have 10 gallon kettles for my brew system, and i use my shop vac to get the last bit of water out of the HLT, and clean up the remains inside the boil kettle before cleaning. I use 5 gallon buckets that i'll fill with hot water from my tap to fill the boil kettle with whatever clean water is needed (including what i emptied from my HLT) to run a cleaning cycle. I usually scrub with a sponge and soap to get the gunk off. Run it through my pump, then pump out to a bucket and then refill again with clean water for one last warm cycle before fully draining. I'll usually do a PBW/Oxiclean cycle every 3rd or 4th brew session in my BK. My Mash tun is light enough that i just bring it upstairs and clean it out in my kitchen and do that after every brew session. I have yet to clean my HLT since its only clean water every time

Also in regards to temperature stratification of the mash, is there any way to move the temp probe to the outlet of the HLT Herms coil or inlet of recirc on the MT? Thats where i have mine, and i'm measuring the output temp which is controlling my HLT's temp. I rarely see more than a degree or two across the grain bed.

Also are you recirculating full speed? I usually recirculate on full throttle, as i figure that's moving the water through the grain bed as fast as possible making it difficult for any stratification to occur.

Also in regards to temperature stratification of the mash, is there any way to move the temp probe to the outlet of the HLT Herms coil or inlet of recirc on the MT? Thats where i have mine, and i'm measuring the output temp which is controlling my HLT's temp. I rarely see more than a degree or two across the grain bed.

Also are you recirculating full speed? I usually recirculate on full throttle, as i figure that's moving the water through the grain bed as fast as possible making it difficult for any stratification to occur.

Yes, it's possible to move the temp probe if need be. I've actually thought about doing just that and putting it at the top recirc port on the MT or like you said, at the output of the HERMS coil. I just really wasn't sure where to put it to get the best benefit...

I am not recirculating at full speed. It's really just a trickle, about the same rate of flow as one would have draining the wort from the MT to the BK prior to starting the boil. Perhaps that's where I can improve the process...? For some reason I was under the impression that running that full bore could compact the grain bed too far and cause issues.

Yes, it's possible to move the temp probe if need be. I've actually thought about doing just that and putting it at the top recirc port on the MT or like you said, at the output of the HERMS coil. I just really wasn't sure where to put it to get the best benefit...

I am not recirculating at full speed. It's really just a trickle, about the same rate of flow as one would have draining the wort from the MT to the BK prior to starting the boil. Perhaps that's where I can improve the process...? For some reason I was under the impression that running that full bore could compact the grain bed too far and cause issues.

To elaborate on this, i only use a 25watt Mark II pump, which doesnt have a huge amount of flow, so for me its full bore. But you should definitely be recirculating more than a trickle. You're probably not moving enough liquid through the grain bed and its not only causing temp stratification, but also probably less efficient in terms of maintaining temps on the HLT and herms. Check out Kal's videos on youtube for his electric brewery. In the mashing process you can see his recirculation speed where its creating a whirlpool on top of the grain bed. Mine runs the same and i've had zero issues.

To elaborate on this, i only use a 25watt Mark II pump, which doesnt have a huge amount of flow, so for me its full bore. But you should definitely be recirculating more than a trickle. You're probably not moving enough liquid through the grain bed and its not only causing temp stratification, but also probably less efficient in terms of maintaining temps on the HLT and herms. Check out Kal's videos on youtube for his electric brewery. In the mashing process you can see his recirculation speed where its creating a whirlpool on top of the grain bed. Mine runs the same and i've had zero issues.

I'll definitely check out the videos, thanks man! Hopefully my temp fix is as simple as that!

Any chance Spike will come out with a 1 vessel kit as an upgrade to this clunky space eating 3 vessel setup?

I wouldn't call it clunky. It's a nice system. I would doubt that they'd come out with a 1 vessel system. SSBT already has that and as Spikes prices appear to be higher than SSBT, why would they try and compete with a product that's already out? Unless they could come up with something that would seriously differentiate their product from SSBT... Just my opinion

Any chance Spike will come out with a 1 vessel kit as an upgrade to this clunky space eating 3 vessel setup?

I asked them about a 1V system and they said they had no plans for a complete system. They did send me a kettle layout for a typical recirculating BIAB system. I seriously considered that coupled with a basket from Utah Bio-diesel as an option, but I have a different approach in mind now that is versatile (with respect to gravity) and utilizes some of the stuff I have now.

I think Spike is missing the boat with no 1V system. It seems like more people are going that way than buying $5k 3V behemoths. It is a competitive segment of the market though.

Wow.. Way to insult someone's new baby that they spent a ton of their hard earned money on. Who are you to judge what his brewing needs vs space constraints are? Pretty rude

I'm actually moving away from BIAB and wanting to go 3-vessel and this review is really helpful for me, thanks OP!

How do you like the control panel functionality? I'm looking at different control panel options for simplicity and streamlined operation. I'm considering an Auber EZbrew panel just because programming and tuning PIDs all the time doesn't sound fun

Wow.. Way to insult someone's new baby that they spent a ton of their hard earned money on. Who are you to judge what his brewing needs vs space constraints are? Pretty rude

I'm actually moving away from BIAB and wanting to go 3-vessel and this review is really helpful for me, thanks OP!

How do you like the control panel functionality? I'm looking at different control panel options for simplicity and streamlined operation. I'm considering an Auber EZbrew panel just because programming and tuning PIDs all the time doesn't sound fun

Before I give my opinion on the panel, just want to state that this is the first and only electric panel I've used.

That being said, I like it a lot! They tell you that you only need to AutoTune the HLT PID once and then you're done but I suppose that doing it ever so often wouldn't hurt.

The PID's seem pretty easy to use. There are some settings in there that I'm not sure what they do, but I'll figure those out. Overall, pretty user friendly.

AFTER removing the grain and wetvac for leftovers on top and under the false bottom works just fine for me. Only a few brews in on the 20gallon spike+ kettles but I've found cleaning to be pretty straight forward.

Just order a kettle tapped for what you want and add something like the grounded brewing tech panel an a pump. These systems really are nothing more than custom kettles + slightly modified chuggers, the more beer chiller and the ebrew supply panels. It saves your some shopping at a slight discount ala carte. A lot of the cost is the ebrew supply panel and the pumps. I did the equivalent to the 20 gallon system w different panel and pump and it was a significant price difference from the cry once system. Enough to pay for a new connical. Only difference is I had to wait a while and buy part by part. Their kettles are pretty nice though.

Just order a kettle tapped for what you want and add something like the grounded brewing tech panel an a pump. These systems really are nothing more than custom kettles + slightly modified chuggers, the more beer chiller and the ebrew supply panels. It saves your some shopping at a slight discount ala carte. A lot of the cost is the ebrew supply panel and the pumps. I did the equivalent to the 20 gallon system w different panel and pump and it was a significant price difference from the cry once system. Enough to pay for a new connical. Only difference is I had to wait a while and buy part by part. Their kettles are pretty nice though.
Yeah 100% agree with this. I was talking to someone who built the same system as what i bought by piecing it together and going with the grounded brew tech panel AND hard plumbing all the transfer tubes in (not included in the spike system). They were able to do it for somewhere around $4500-$5000. I put together a spreadsheet of the system piece by piece myself and came up with a cost of around $4900. With the table and chiller spike charges $7200. HUUUUGE difference. I went with spikes system because the time it saved me trumped the extra cost. With a pregnant wife and plans to do beers for baby showers, i didn't have the time to do it myself.

I did try to negotiate with spike and they were NOT having that. They rejected my lower offers on a system 3 times lol

AFTER removing the grain and wetvac for leftovers on top and under the false bottom works just fine for me. Only a few brews in on the 20gallon spike+ kettles but I've found cleaning to be pretty straight forward.
Yeah i think my hard parts are just that - removing the bulk of the grain and getting the leftovers out. If I get...
1. A shop vac
And
2. A BIAB bag for the MT...

...i think it'll make things a hell of a lot easier. Those are actually on my fast purchase list!

Yeah i think my hard parts are just that - removing the bulk of the grain and getting the leftovers out. If I get...
1. A shop vac
And
2. A BIAB bag for the MT...

...i think it'll make things a hell of a lot easier. Those are actually on my fast purchase list!

Get the shop vac first. Bag might not be necessary. I haven’t seen a need. Just a good scoop, a 5 gal bucket, and a shop vac

Unfortunately, haven't brewed again since I posted this. Once I do another beer, I'll post back and let you know how it went. I plan to go just shy of wide open on the pump during recirculation to see if that helps.

Never put the tube on except on sparge but I'm only on my 4th brew w the 20 gallon. Never had issues hitting my numbers on it.

Ill ping em to clarify but i dont think that tube makes sense except when sparging - when the grain bed is being drained as your are pushing water in slowly from the hlt so the tube sits on the bed which is going to have an obviously lower water level.

Last edited:
Ill ping em to clarify but i dont think that tube makes sense except when sparging - when the grain bed is being drained as your are pushing water in slowly from the hlt so the tube sits on the bed which is going to have an obviously lower water level.
In my head it makes sense, i think. Without the tube that's a long way for the wort to fall which i would think that would lead to a bit more temp loss on the way down as well as digging a hole down the side of the grain bed. I could very well be making that up in my head though

I use a slightly longer piece of tubing and coil it on top of the grain bed. I always run pump full bore during mash. If there is a substantial amount of wheat I use rice hulls never had an issue. I stick to the 1.35 quarts per pound of grain they recommend. After about 25 brews I have really dialed in the sparge which has allowed me to hit or exceed my numbers. You really need to make sure that is slow and steady keeping 2 inches or so of water above the grain bed

In my head it makes sense, i think. Without the tube that's a long way for the wort to fall which i would think that would lead to a bit more temp loss on the way down as well as digging a hole down the side of the grain bed. I could very well be making that up in my head though
Are you running the pumps full bore at mash? Ive never had temp loss. Only diff between my setup and the spike system is the panel(grounded brew tech), pumps (brau supply) and the pump manifolds have some larger ball valves. Htl and mash temps are consistantly 8-9 degreesn when heating and 2.5 at temp. But since im only using the spike kettles/herms i literally am not to spec w their build so probably should stop my yammerin. i think the brau pumps are a little slower than the chuggers they sell.

Has anyone needed to cut the hoses shorter than what spike recommends? I’m going threw dry runs to get a hold of which hoses to move around. Seems to me there’s way more hose than needed and could result in heat loss

I'm using the lengths they cut and actually might make new longer ones since its a little tight from the bk to the wort pump. Lengths are for workflow config/optimization. Im usually 3 degrees between mash tun out and hlt.

436C8D79-5D3B-4B8F-B488-89C469400A9D.jpeg
811B1A0C-BADF-4DCA-A34C-A2A19A96E5CD.jpeg

congrats that's a sweet brewing system am sure you will get it dialed in quickly

I've never tried a shop vac for cleaning mash tun but am so happy since I added a BIAB to it. Cleanup is really easy now, yes full disassembly is still required but really it is done and put away before the boil is done. I'm doing half barrel batches in a 15 gallon mash tun so am used to dealing with 30-35 pound grain bills. The BIAB bag and hoist pulls the grain out of the kettle while it is still hot, lets me focus on the kettle while the grain cools. A couple hours later when I'm wrapping up I dispose of the grain which by now is very dry and well cooled.

With respect to your issues with temperature variation. I am confused about your batch size given this is a 20 gallon system. I have a spike 20 gallon kettle for my boil, actually holds something like 23 gallons and I use it for half barrel batches. My preboil volume is about 10 gallons and I boil to 18 gallons and transfer 16 gallons to fermentor. My mash tun is full. Mash is 12-15 inches deep from surface to false bottom. Temperatures are quite stable and I don't detect hot spots and I am using direct fire recirculation...I'd think with the superior spike kettle and HERMS you should be able to get very stable mash temps without the variability so suggest try a larger batch :)

On your question about the counterflow chilling and cold break. I think it is pretty hard to seperate cold break in the kettle. Once the wort chills it gets pretty thick and the break falls pretty slow. If you give it a long time it will clear but then you risk contamination. You are also probably picking up a lot of oxygen which is ok if you are ready to pitch yeast but maybe not ok just sitting there for a couple hours before you transfer and pitch. If I had a conical I think counterflow would be the bomb as I could let the break settle in the conical and limit exposure to both organisms and oxygen before pitching yeast.

congrats that's a sweet brewing system am sure you will get it dialed in quickly

I've never tried a shop vac for cleaning mash tun but am so happy since I added a BIAB to it. Cleanup is really easy now, yes full disassembly is still required but really it is done and put away before the boil is done. I'm doing half barrel batches in a 15 gallon mash tun so am used to dealing with 30-35 pound grain bills. The BIAB bag and hoist pulls the grain out of the kettle while it is still hot, lets me focus on the kettle while the grain cools. A couple hours later when I'm wrapping up I dispose of the grain which by now is very dry and well cooled.

With respect to your issues with temperature variation. I am confused about your batch size given this is a 20 gallon system. I have a spike 20 gallon kettle for my boil, actually holds something like 23 gallons and I use it for half barrel batches. My preboil volume is about 10 gallons and I boil to 18 gallons and transfer 16 gallons to fermentor. My mash tun is full. Mash is 12-15 inches deep from surface to false bottom. Temperatures are quite stable and I don't detect hot spots and I am using direct fire recirculation...I'd think with the superior spike kettle and HERMS you should be able to get very stable mash temps without the variability so suggest try a larger batch :)

On your question about the counterflow chilling and cold break. I think it is pretty hard to seperate cold break in the kettle. Once the wort chills it gets pretty thick and the break falls pretty slow. If you give it a long time it will clear but then you risk contamination. You are also probably picking up a lot of oxygen which is ok if you are ready to pitch yeast but maybe not ok just sitting there for a couple hours before you transfer and pitch. If I had a conical I think counterflow would be the bomb as I could let the break settle in the conical and limit exposure to both organisms and oxygen before pitching yeast.

Thanks!

Yeah the BIAB bag worked really well in my old cooler mash tun. I do plan to incorporate that into this system as well. Just need to buy one.

In regards to batch sizes, the system is capable of doing 6-15 gallon batches. I've been running small batches (7-8 gallons) to get used to the processes of the system. I'd rather screw up 7 or 8 gallons than 15. I plan to move to 15 gallon batches as soon as I get a unitank big enough. Will probably be closer to the summer. The temp variation that I was seeing, I suspect, is as others have pointed out. I had my pumps running at a trickle instead of full bore. On my next brew, I plan to run full bore to see if that corrects the problem and I suspect it should.

As for the cold break, I've been running the counterflow chiller back into the BK until it's at pitching temp. I've then been killing the pump, letting the wort sit in the BK for 20 min or so to settle, and then transferring to the fermenter. But you bring up a valid point about just going right from the chiller to the fermenter. About 2 days in I'm dumping trub anyway which would do the trick I think.

I got my 20 Gallon Spike system in December, and finally had it all assembled in January. I got the full system with the 50A panel but excluded the table and chiller. I am going to use Rob2010's (the OP) same outline for my comments here. I have now had five batches with it.

Quality of parts / Packaging
I had issues with the panel for several weeks as there was a wire that didn't complete a circuit in the panel and the BK PID wouldn't work. Turns out it was a bad part from China, but the panel manufacturer sent the wire to me. That caused a three week delay, primarily due to the Christmas/New Years holidays.
Additionally, I have found that the temperatures on the BK PID is not showing accurately. The Boil Kettle PID shows boiling at 207 deg F, and when I asked Spike they said that my altitude (295 feet ASL) was the cause of it. This is highly unlikely, especially as a separate thermometer shows the temp at boil to be 212 deg F, not 207. The other thermometer also shows a similar discrepancy throughout the temperature ranges in the BK. Probably I will simply need to re-autotuned it to get it right.
Finally, I had issues with one of the pumps. It was impossible to get two of the screws off the head on one of the pumps as they were significantly overtightened. Spike sent me a new pump, and it too had the same issues. They finally sent me my original pump back and somehow figured out how to loosen the screws.
If it sounds as if I am overblowing this, I probably am. Spike addressed everything IMMEDIATELY, and these issues were more like mosquito bites than anything important. Irritating, but when they go away the are forgotten.
The rest of the system is great as Rob2010 stated, and if I had my choice I would absolutely buy it again.

Installation and Assembly
I completely echo the OP's comments. I did not properly seat the HERMS coil, and boy did I learn that was a mistake. (Imagine your HLT flooding, draining the water from the Mash Tun, and that happy sound of a waterfall splashing on your garage floor...) Remember, when you install the coil it must be tight and square to the HLT, not at an angle.

Using the HLT
One of things I love about the 50A panel is the ability to heat up the BK and HLT at the same time. On brew day I come down at 7:00 am, fill up the desired quantities of water, and fire up the heaters in the BK and MT. I then transfer the preheated water out of the BK to the MT and am up and running. Its always ready by the time I take a shower and get my coffee going.

Using the MT
I have my MT valves wide open during the mash process. My temps seem to be consistent with no temperature stratification. I am curious tho, and will throw my thermometer into the mash at several locations on my next brew day to see how it measures. I did add two smaller 3' hoses just for my mash and sparge process. I felt that I was having too much temperature loss with my 6' hoses, and now the dif between the two kettles is just one or two degrees F.

Using the BK
Same as OP, except I got the Steam Slayer. Ive gotta say, I absolutely love it. No Steam no issues whatsoever. If you're even thinking of it, just get it and move on. It's well worth it.

Using the Counterflow Chiller
I also love my Exchillerator. Usually takes me 5-8 minutes to chill a 12 gal batch, and very easy to clean.

Cleaning (CIP?)
Again, I mostly agree with the OP that cleaning is a bit of a chore.
Shortly after finishing my sparge, I will clean out the spent grains, pull the false bottom, then take the MT to a hose and rinse as much grain matter as possible off it. I then give it a sponge bath to wash extra residue out, and put it back on the table. At that point I transfer about five gals of 160 deg F water from my HLT (again, an advantage of having a 50A panel) add PBW and let it cycle through the HERMS coil and into the MT. I do that for about 10 mins, drain, and rinse it with the same temp and quantity of clean water. I am done cleaning the MT and all accessories with plenty of time left on the boil. (I may consider the BIAB option, however...)
I have learned however to be very careful and not drain my HLT of water. I did that the first time, and dry fired the element for a bit.
The shop vac is essential for cleaning as well, as it will allow you to get the very last bit of water out of the kettles.

Conclusion
I was in the same conundrum about the SS system, but just couldn't wait for it to come. I do like my spike, tho, and as stated earlier would not change it at all. Brew days are right now at about 6.5 hours, but I believe I should get them to 6.0 hours from start of mash to end of cleaning.

Last edited:
It is a simple condenser that essentially eliminates all steam from escaping the boil kettle. There is an extensive thread on it, and I am not going to go into details here. This accessory has allowed me to brew in my garage with all the doors shut and no ventilation for the steam, with no DMS off flavors in the beer. Thanks Brun Dog for essentially creating this product, and Bobby at Brew Hardware for marketing it.

The thread is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...denser-no-overhead-ventilation-needed.636955/

You can get it at Brew hardware at this page:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/steamslayer.htm

Question for you spike system owners

Can anyone tell me how to the hop matter filtration/whirlpool works with a hoppy IPA (6+ Oz in the whirlpool)?

Do you use any kind of a hop filter or dam? Does the stock whirlpool keep your CFC from clogging?

Back