What my SWMBO did for me for Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
So for Christmas this year my girlfriend surprised me. A little back story:

She hates beer. She hates anything with bubbles and really likes sweet things. She's also not the greatest fan of beer brewing because it takes a long time and eats up a day that we could have spent together doing other things that she might benefit from. All of that considered she knows I love to do it and puts up with it without complaining.

I'm an engineering student, so I hardly get to brew during the semester. Talk about disappointing. I have a pretty good pipeline but we all know how fast that can slip through our fingers. So this is what she does.

In October gets a used extract kit on Craig's list. Goes to my LHBS, decides to brew an English brown ale and the LHBS guys aid accordingly. Goes to her parents house (to keep it a secret from me) and she (with some help from her father) steep grains and brew an extract beer and put it in the secondary fermenter (by accident). Imagine a full carboy in high krausen! Blew out the airlock. She explained to her father over the phone how to rig a blow off tube (she's seen me do this too many times). Long story short, lots of tears out of fear of messing it up, and a few phone calls to the LHBS guys later and she surprises me with nearly two cases of a beer she brewed over the course of two months.

She said she'd never do it again. It was too stressful. I'm sure you'd all be pleased to know that I inherited the equipment and more importantly her beer turned out great.

Can I hear a halleluia?

Lucky guy!

If she likes wine, there is a line of wine kits put out by Wine Expert called "Island Mist". I've never had it, but they are very popular. They run about $65 for a six gallon batch.

They have a mix of fruit flavored wine kits. You already have all the equipment you need and wine is dirt simple compared to brewing beer. It's just mixing things together and waiting. Sanitation is still important, and temp is as well, but much less than with brewing beer.

Get her to try it again,but use the right size fermenter this time. She might like it more? My wife liked it,but medical problems at our age prevent her from drinking beer anymore. And just when I got good at PM's...

My Wife would never go through that kind of effort. I'd get the "I carried your child for nine months" speech if I even brought it up.

So you're saying I should enjoy this whole it lasts! Thanks everyone, I knew you'd all appreciate that story!

Latest posts

Back